• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
I had a whole post written up about how that Ruskin Heights photo with the two funnels on each side of the charcoal black stovepipe was actually from a different Kansas tornado but then I checked the NWS article and it is indeed from the Kansas section of the Ruskin Heights path. Lol

locomusic01

Reaction score
Is this yours? Trying to work out whether old-timey events were one tornado or a family can be kind of a nightmare, but I've always thought it'd be a fun project. VLT tornadoes are fascinating and we don't really have much reliable information on most of them.

Edit: Also, my brain is fried today and I confused Grinnell w/Pomeroy. Took me entirely too long to figure out why the path looked so much different from mine lol

Edit 2: Actually, on second thought, the track is really quite similar aside from the place names + overall length.

Reaction score
Is this yours? Trying to work out whether old-timey events were one tornado or a family can be kind of a nightmare, but I've always thought it'd be a fun project. VLT tornadoes are fascinating and we don't really have much reliable information on most of them.

Edit: Also, my brain is fried today and I confused Grinnell w/Pomeroy. Took me entirely too long to figure out why the path looked so much different from mine lol

Edit 2: Actually, on second thought, the track is really quite similar aside from the place names + overall length.
It is indeed mine lmao

locomusic01

Reaction score
Are there any photos of the homes that "literally vanished" from the Dunlap tornado #2 a.k.a. the Sunnyside Subdivision tornado
Don't have many good photos handy, but:

6a6BH9j.png

UrmPfTL.jpg

qC1VEUZ.jpg

WOUvDDo.jpg

zLCQal7.png

P2BUwAG.jpg

D7HKqzD.jpg

Also gonna use this as an excuse to repost some other photos from Sunnyside because they're freakin' incredible.

6jtsUJF.png

ZjdUZFP.png

Pcqz3Bu.png

YBjdnna.png

qtOFyGR.png

G59HzOX.png

eO9p3Jw.png

FUNuCa6.png

bhHxvSg.jpg

Marshal79344

Reaction score
I've been doing some digging through online stock websites and have come across a few notable images of tornado damage that I find worth sharing with you guys.

Cookeville, TN

20200303COOKEVILLE.jpg
1681324586989.png

Indian Bayou area near Rolling Fork, MS

20230324ROLLINGFORK39.jpg

Flint, MI tornado of 1953

19530608FLINT11.png

An aerial of the Smithfield area after the tornado of April 4th, 1977

19770404BIRMINGHAM12.jpg

An aerial of Hesston, KS after March 13th, 1990

IMG_20230212_014825.jpg

Damage near Deland, FL after the early-morning tornado of February 2nd, 2007

20070202DELAND.png

High-end tornado damage near Clinton, AR after the tornado of February 5, 2008

20080205CLINTON6.jpg
20080205CLINTON7.jpg

Some more images from Vilonia

20140427VILONIA38.jpg
1681325269390.png

locomusic01

Reaction score
Are there any photos of the possible F5 damage from Sheridan (IN) and Rainbow Lake (IN), Manitou Beach (MI)
Been a little under the weather but probably tomorrow I'll post what I have. I think there's stuff from some of the other tornadoes I've been meaning to post anyway. Someday I need to go through my folder of unsorted/unlabeled Palm Sunday pictures and see if I can figure out where they're from as well.

Found a collection of damage photographs from the Grinnell, Iowa tornado of 1882:
Speaking of Grinnell, it's weird how many people I've come across who were there and then later went on to experience another notable violent tornado. In my Enigma Outbreak article I wrote about a guy who saw both Grinnell and the Rockingham-Philadelphia Church, NC F4+. One of the accounts I found while researching New Richmond came from a guy who'd previously had both his legs broken at Grinnell. There was a man who lost.. a sister I think? or maybe a wife? in Grinnell and then was killed himself in Pomeroy 1893. I think there were one or two others as well but I can't remember them off-hand.

Reaction score
Been a little under the weather but probably tomorrow I'll post what I have. I think there's stuff from some of the other tornadoes I've been meaning to post anyway. Someday I need to go through my folder of unsorted/unlabeled Palm Sunday pictures and see if I can figure out where they're from as well.

Speaking of Grinnell, it's weird how many people I've come across who were there and then later went on to experience another notable violent tornado. In my Enigma Outbreak article I wrote about a guy who saw both Grinnell and the Rockingham-Philadelphia Church, NC F4+. One of the accounts I found while researching New Richmond came from a guy who'd previously had both his legs broken at Grinnell. There was a man who lost.. a sister I think? or maybe a wife? in Grinnell and then was killed himself in Pomeroy 1893. I think there were one or two others as well but I can't remember them off-hand.
Grinnell's interesting because Grazulis thinks it's the earliest F5 that can be rated as such given the amount of damage photographs from it.
Yeah, apparently the guy who saw damage from Rockingham-Philadelphia Church, NC said that damage from it was worse than Grinnell, which REALLY makes me wish there was available photographs from 1884. I'm sure there's some buried in archives or newspapers.com somewhere I just haven't thought to look for yet or might be lost forever, who knows?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Grinnell's interesting because Grazulis thinks it's the earliest F5 that can be rated as such given the amount of damage photographs from it.
Yeah, apparently the guy who saw damage from Rockingham-Philadelphia Church, NC said that damage from it was worse than Grinnell, which REALLY makes me wish there was available photographs from 1884. I'm sure there's some buried in archives or newspapers.com somewhere I just haven't thought to look for yet or might be lost forever, who knows?
I didn't really know what I was doing back then so my search was far from exhaustive. Unfortunately if photos do exist they're probably in some random university collection or somewhere else where no one will ever get to see them.

And no I'm definitely not bitter at all.

Reaction score
I didn't really know what I was doing back then so my search was far from exhaustive. Unfortunately if photos do exist they're probably in some random university collection or somewhere else where no one will ever get to see them.

And no I'm definitely not bitter at all.
Seems like lots of historic Dixie outbreaks are poorly documented; I'm sure occurring in remote, rural areas and being rain-wrapped might play a role but there's probably other reasons I haven't thought of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright my tornado movie thread was getting derailed so moving discussion there.

Apparently on April 9, 1975 there was a major tornado in Smithfield, Nebraska. It was originally F5 but Dr. Fujita himself downgraded it to F4.

But apparently there was damage at a shack so bad he almost rated it F6. This is very interesting, especially for an event I had never heard of before.

BTW, the bots are back in town. Meet @Bender!

Back