• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Yeah honestly Wilkin was my thought the whole time watching the videos too; they're surprisingly similar. Andy Gabrielson I think took the iconic Wilkin video, it's on a chase DVD I have. Those super skinny violent drill bits seem to be by far more common on the high plains and Canada with high LCLs and put on quite a show. Very slow moving skinny high based funnels with amazing visibility is the literal exact opposite of Dixie haha
They also move very slowly compared to the fast-trackers down in Dixie.

Last edited:
It seems that some most violent dixie tornadoes also tend to have a skinny core even with wedge outfit which are just like those in 4/27. Tupelo in 1936 could be said as a rare monster there with both extreme intensity and extreme width of the 'core‘.
I think most wedge tornadoes (and possibly all tornadoes) have skinny cores, and very rarely have wide cores. Other examples of tornadoes with wide cores would be Greensburg, Udall, Joplin and of course Jarrell. I don't know much about Tupelo 1936, but I'm curious as to the extent of the F3+ damage was.

Speaking of Elie,There is no doubt about its F5 house and countextual damage,but in my opinion ,its actual strength maybe close to dalton/wilikin MN EF4 or just a little bit stronger.Elie spent about 3 minutes circulating around the same area which give its tiny,violent-rotating vortices an opportunity to hitting structures again and again,tearing structures'debris into tinier pieces,mixing them together and bombarding another structure,which cause the building structure much more likely to fail,just like those big city violent tornadoes.And even at the hardest hitting area,we haven't seen strong ground scouring,obvious debris granulation and wind rowing patterns,but many vehicles were thrown long distances,dismembered and mangled beyond recognition.This feature meets the phenomena that I've mentioned above"drillbit tornadoes are much more capable of lifting and throwing heavy objects and causing violent vehicles damage".If Dalton/Wilkin spent about three minutes hitting those farmsteads,I'm sure some more intense ,likely F5 damage could be done.The following are some damage pics collected from the Elie Manitoba F5
View attachment 3957View attachment 3958
View attachment 3960
View attachment 3967View attachment 3961View attachment 3962View attachment 3963
View attachment 3968View attachment 3964
This picture may be the only one that caught the oakville MB F3.The left one was oakville,the right one was elie
View attachment 3966
So while on the topic of violent drillbit tornadoes meandering over an area for several minutes, this is as good a time as any to bring up the Pampa, TX tornado of 1995. This Tornadotalk article on it has the only damage pics I've been able to find from it: https://www.tornadotalk.com/pampa-tx-f4-tornado-june-8-1995/

Two videos:

1. The classic video shot by Sheriff Gary Kays as it hits and sits on top of the industrial park several minutes. Includes footage of multiple automobiles flying 100+ feet into the air:

2. Storm chasing footage of it. Near the bottom of the tornado at 2:00 you can see a large object (likely a vehicle) ejected and thrown hundreds of yards:

Last edited:
So while on the topic of violent drillbit tornadoes meandering over an area for several minutes, this is as good a time as any to bring up the Pampa, TX tornado of 1995. This Tornadotalk article on it has the only damage pics I've been able to find from it: https://www.tornadotalk.com/pampa-tx-f4-tornado-june-8-1995/

Two videos:

1. The classic video shot by Sheriff Gary Kays as it hits and sits on top of the industrial park several minutes. Includes footage of multiple automobiles flying 100+ feet into the air:
2. Storm chasing footage of it. Near the bottom of the tornado at 2:00 you can see a large object (likely a vehicle) ejected and thrown hundreds of yards:
A multiple vortex tornado reminds me of a bunch of single vortex rope tornadoes inside a big wedge tornado. Jarrell probably had the widest area of F5 damage ever recorded. I believe it was a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile-wide. The tornado was not much wider at around 3/4 mile-wide tornado.

Two videos:

Wow, that Tornado Talk link contains what I believe is the only radar imagery I've ever seen from that day. As expected, quite a lot of classic supercells clustered in a small area. Looks a bit like May 3, 1999 over central Oklahoma (although maybe not quite on that scale, maybe more like May 24, 2011).

I'm curious about those two large supercells with classic hooks, adjacent to each other, southeast of the Pampa area at the end of the loop. I wonder if one of them eventually produced the Kellerville/Allison tornadoes?

Last edited:
Wow, that Tornado Talk link contains what I believe is the only radar imagery I've ever seen from that day. As expected, quite a lot of classic supercells clustered in a small area. Looks a bit like May 3, 1999 over central Oklahoma (although maybe not quite on that scale, maybe more like May 24, 2011).
It's surprisingly difficult to find much information on this event...according to this YouTube comment on one of the Pampa tornado vids apparently the damage and meterological surveys on this event were accidentally discarded by someone. Also, not sure if you've already seen this, but this TLC documentary has the only known videotaped damage aftermath from Pampa I've been able to find:

Last edited:
It's surprisingly difficult to find much information on this event...according to this YouTube comment on one of the Pampa tornado vids apparently the damage and meterological surveys on this event were accidentally discarded by someone. Also, not sure if you've already seen this, but this TLC documentary has the only known videotaped damage aftermath from Pampa I've been able to find:

Yes, I have seen that documentary (have it recorded in fact), and I heard about the surveys being accidentally discarded. Shame, since it's the type of once-in-a-few-decades regional tornado outbreak that deserves an extensive write-up on the local NWSFO's web site.

Yes, I have seen that documentary (have it recorded in fact), and I heard about the surveys being accidentally discarded. Shame, since it's the type of once-in-a-few-decades regional tornado outbreak that deserves an extensive write-up on the local NWSFO's web site.
Where did you here about the surveys being accidentally discarded? I heard it from a frequent YouTube commenter and storm chasing enthusiast 5-6 years ago.

The 10t propane tank thrown half mile made by Moore EF5 was very famaous and there was actually another propane tank which also threw half mile onto the roof of Briarwood Elementary School.(You can also notice a car nearby, there was also a car threw onto the roof of Moore Medical Center)
View attachment 3588
source:https://www.researchgate.net/public...h_of_the_May_20th_2013_Moore_Oklahoma_Tornado
View attachment 3586
source:https://ams.confex.com/ams/94Annual/webprogram/Paper241554.html
three oil tank pictures I can find:
View attachment 3587View attachment 3589View attachment 3590
It also threw a cargo at least a quarter mile and it landed in the debris of a home.

2013-moore-ef5-tornado-damage-container.png

I'm curious about those two large supercells with classic hooks, adjacent to each other, southeast of the Pampa area at the end of the loop. I wonder if one of them eventually produced the Kellerville/Allison tornadoes?
Jeff Duda posted this radar loop in the stormtrack thread on the event: http://www.caps.ou.edu/~jdduda/other_ST/08_June_1995_KAMA_n0r_loop.gif
https://stormtrack.org/community/th...a-allison-kellerville-tornado-outbreak.17452/

eric11

Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Some other pampa car damage can be found in this tornado documentary,around 25min I think
These badly mangled car all came from Ted whose home was taken a direct hit from pampa F4 and he claimed he saw the inside of the funnel,that's unbelievable.
IMG_20200715_021237.jpgIMG_20200715_021254.jpgIMG_20200715_021307.jpgIMG_20200715_021323.jpgIMG_20200715_021333.jpgIMG_20200715_021346.jpg
The tornado documentary also has some rare damage footage of kellerville F4(F5?)and even survivors's story(Though his home might not have been directly hit).
Home completely swept clean.
IMG_20200715_021404.jpg
dead cows and horses caked in mud, severe ground scouring
IMG_20200715_021430.jpgIMG_20200715_021444.jpg
Brick home damage,notice the intense tree damage in the corner
IMG_20200715_021418.jpg

Some other pampa car damage can be found in this tornado documentary,around 25min I think
These badly mangled car all came from Ted whose home was taken a direct hit from pampa F4 and he claimed he saw the inside of the funnel,that's unbelievable.
View attachment 4041View attachment 4042View attachment 4043View attachment 4044View attachment 4045View attachment 4046
The tornado documentary also has some rare damage footage of kellerville F4(F5?)and even survivors's story(Though his home might not have been directly hit).
Home completely swept clean.
View attachment 4047
dead cows and horses caked in mud, severe ground scouring
View attachment 4048View attachment 4049
Brick home damage,notice the intense tree damage in the corner
View attachment 4050
Are some of those cars the ones that were thrown into the air?

eric11

Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Are some of those cars the ones that were thrown into the air?
I'm not very clear though I think those were not the cars been thrown into air.The famous footage which caught semi and pickup truck been thrown for 250m were actually fliming the moment tornado entering pampa industrial park,From the TLC documentary,you can see the same level car damage in pampa industrial park.
IMG_20200715_023920.jpgIMG_20200715_023943.jpgIMG_20200715_024007.jpgIMG_20200715_024032.jpg
Ted's house and his car were located at the edge of pampa residential area.So according to his words,the tornado firstly impacted his house and then moved to the industrial park.It's just astonishing that a drillbit type tornado can have some many violent car damage.

eric11

Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Some other damage from the canton east TX EF3 on 4/29/2017,I just can't get why this tornado was rated 145mph EF3.
car damage
-139f28ecf73f7d2d87c56e6e9f36ccb6.jpg
1ed5403b907becf724e3ea1500b193bf.jpg-6f84281033f6083cee418f46fc1fd0f1.jpg
asphalt removed
-45638aadc642c6a58ca909393b167a95.jpg
Home completely swept clean
-5ee21ab4bd6ae434519187abc648c07d.jpg-7d7792298c6e3235c37812f146c0c1f8.jpg-32fd7b7b01b545a1b083fc76e215a08f.jpg
-49c27e75188a612e73540ae0372bf897.jpg
intense tree damage
-31f9e5dd2ee066e2164175db60812851.jpg

Here's a collection of photos from the Worth, MO April 29, 1947 tornado. It sort of got lost in the shadow of the Glazier-Higgins-Woodward event but it was quite violent in its own right. 14 were killed in the small town, large trees were debarked, and fairly large and well constructed homes were completely destroyed and in some cases swept away. Grazulis considered it a possible F5.
WorthMO19472.jpg
WorthMOApril1947(4).jpg
WorthMOApril1947(3).jpg
WorthMO1947treedamage.jpeg
WorthMO1947debrisfield(2).jpg
WorthMO1947debrisfield.jpg
Some aerial shots
WorthMO1947aerial(2).jpg
worthMO1947aerial(3).jpg

Definitely quite violent.

Last edited: