• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thank you! Speaking of aerial imagery, Google Earth has been killing me these past couple days. Tonight I had just finished the EF1-EF2 contours for the whole Tuscaloosa track and even made sure to save it and began the EF3 layer, when yet again the program froze and a pop up saying Google earth needed to close due to an issue showed up. Thought nothing of it because I saved it, until I reopened it. That’s when I noticed every single layer was missing, EF0 included. Guess even when you save it on the program that doesn’t matter, thankfully I saved the EF0 layer to my documents so that’s a small positive…I guess.
I'm sure you've figured this out from experience by now but Google Earth has a really bad habit of crashing on Windows 10 and newer - you might wanna consider ArcGIS ;)

xJownage

Reaction score
On scouring, just some thoughts from what I've observed. There does seem to be a lot of variation in the vertical 'uplift' winds in tornadoes having roughly equal outflow and/or inflow winds. This also varies among wide and narrow tornadoes with no pattern I can see. Scouring can be narrow or wide, again not always corresponding to it's width or size.

There has to be some characteristic aiding or allowing scouring which is not always present in enough quantity to cause it. As Dr. Fujita discovered it's often found in subvortices- maybe there's a clue in that? Much we know; so much more we don't and that's why I find tornadoes intriguing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Phil
I think it might have something to do with smaller vorticies or vorticies that have stronger vertical motion relative to their horizontal winds.

If we recall, El Reno '13 had some of the largest and most intense subvorticies ever documented, but IIRC it had very little associated ground scouring. Maybe smaller subvorticies with more powerful upward motion are the only ones that actually produce significant scouring.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Thank you! Speaking of aerial imagery, Google Earth has been killing me these past couple days. Tonight I had just finished the EF1-EF2 contours for the whole Tuscaloosa track and even made sure to save it and began the EF3 layer, when yet again the program froze and a pop up saying Google earth needed to close due to an issue showed up. Thought nothing of it because I saved it, until I reopened it. That’s when I noticed every single layer was missing, EF0 included. Guess even when you save it on the program that doesn’t matter, thankfully I saved the EF0 layer to my documents so that’s a small positive…I guess.
Oof, that's rough. Have you tried clearing the program cache? I've had a couple crashes over the years because of corrupted data. Haven't had one in quite a while but I'm still paranoid about it, so I've gotten in the habit of exporting My Places to KMZ pretty often.

Reaction score
omg. oof

Reaction score
Oof, that's rough. Have you tried clearing the program cache? I've had a couple crashes over the years because of corrupted data. Haven't had one in quite a while but I'm still paranoid about it, so I've gotten in the habit of exporting My Places to KMZ pretty often.
also yeah. make sure to keep saving your files to your documents. you can resave the file every time you change it so there's no problem there. do that often and you shouldn't continue too lose any progress unless something weird is happening.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Yeah I’ll give it a try, and I’ll definitely start saving to my documents frequently from now on I think I’ve learned my lesson lol. It’s weird I haven’t had any problems whatsoever in the past it’s only started these last 2 days, whatever it is has put a good sized dent in progress, all 90+ miles of it.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Yeah I’ll give it a try, and I’ll definitely start saving to my documents frequently from now on I think I’ve learned my lesson lol. It’s weird I haven’t had any problems whatsoever in the past it’s only started these last 2 days, whatever it is has put a good sized dent in progress, all 90+ miles of it.
That's so frustrating. I lost most of my Tupelo-Gainesville stuff one time back when I was working on that. Crashes have been very rare in my experience, but when they do happen they seem to happen at the worst possible time lol

It might also help to export your My Places, delete it all within Google Earth and then re-import it again. Or at least it can't hurt, anyway.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
That's so frustrating. I lost most of my Tupelo-Gainesville stuff one time back when I was working on that. Crashes have been very rare in my experience, but when they do happen they seem to happen at the worst possible time lol

It might also help to export your My Places, delete it all within Google Earth and then re-import it again. Or at least it can't hurt, anyway.
Yep there were a few choice words that were said when I realized that hours upon hours of meticulously sifting through almost 92 miles of damage and plotting points were gone. One word I would use to describe the Tuscaloosa track would be squirrelly. By far the most complex and erratic path I’ve plotted, anddd all of the points are gone. But anyways I’ll look into what I might be able to do to resolve the issue, appreciate the advice! Speaking of Tupelo-Gainesville, I’m fascinated by the tornado track maps you make for these historical events, they’re really awesome to look at!

Reaction score
Yep there were a few choice words that were said when I realized that hours upon hours of meticulously sifting through almost 92 miles of damage and plotting points were gone. One word I would use to describe the Tuscaloosa track would be squirrelly. By far the most complex and erratic path I’ve plotted, anddd all of the points are gone. But anyways I’ll look into what I might be able to do to resolve the issue, appreciate the advice! Speaking of Tupelo-Gainesville, I’m fascinated by the tornado track maps you make for these historical events, they’re really awesome to look at!

You are much more patient than I; I've deep-sixed computers for less, lol.

Reaction score
hoping you can get it redone quickly. should be faster to redo it since you have the knowledge of doing it previously. right? like most things the more you redo something the faster you get at doing it.

Reaction score
i have a question for how you do your maps. why do you not just use the polygon feature instead of the path feature?

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
i have a question for how you do your maps. why do you not just use the polygon feature instead of the path feature?
So the reason I use the path feature is because the polygon automatically connects itself and for long track events or tornadoes that have extremely complex structures or damage patterns, it becomes a hassle at times. Plus im just more used to the path feature and find it easier and more time saving to use, I’ve experimented with the polygon in the past and it’s fine but when tracks become complex then it becomes a liability.

Reaction score
So the reason I use the path feature is because the polygon automatically connects itself and for long track events or tornadoes that have extremely complex structures or damage patterns, it becomes a hassle at times. Plus im just more used to the path feature and find it easier and more time saving to use, I’ve experimented with the polygon in the past and it’s fine but when tracks become complex then it becomes a liability.
ah. okay.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
You are much more patient than I; I've deep-sixed computers for less, lol.
Lol I wouldn’t exactly say I was too patient when this happened but I sort of just accepted it and thought putting a fist through the screen probably wouldn’t have helped the situation, I’d be lying if I said the thought didn’t cross my mind though.

Reaction score
Lol I wouldn’t exactly say I was too patient when this happened but I sort of just accepted it and thought putting a fist through the screen probably wouldn’t have helped the situation, I’d be lying if I said the thought didn’t cross my mind though.
which map are you gonna finish first?

Back