• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120
Reaction score
Definitely some interesting stuff here. I'm assuming the entry for the new tree scale is incomplete? It tops out at 110 MPH, with no mention of more severe degrees of tree damage, such as stubbing or debarking. The vehicle scale is really cool too.
I like how for the vehicle scale they took into account stuff like bounced vs thrown...I wonder if they'll also take into account type of vehicle (e.g. regular car vs dump truck vs 18-wheeler, etc.) but this looks to be a major step in the right direction.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
When is the new book supposed to come out? Seems like it keeps getting delayed.....
That I can't answer, but I have to wonder if it keeps getting delayed because he keeps wanting to add new tornado events (hence why he initially referred to it as "SigTor2019" and now "SigTor2022")... but I think he's gotta add a cutoff line somewhere if he EVER wants to finish the book.

Reaction score
That I can't answer, but I have to wonder if it keeps getting delayed because he keeps wanting to add new tornado events (hence why he initially referred to it as "SigTor2019" and now "SigTor2022")... but I think he's gotta add a cutoff line somewhere if he EVER wants to finish the book.
Hopefully he stops by the end of this year....I'll bet December 2021 he definitely wants to add....I wonder what he's gonna rate Mayfield/Bremen as.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Ha! Imagine announcing a project and then continually having to push it back because you compulsively bite off more than you can chew.

girl door GIF

Reaction score
Ha! Imagine announcing a project and then continually having to push it back because you compulsively bite off more than you can chew.

girl door GIF
I know, what kind of person would do such a thing? And even worse, what kind of person would dare give them ideas for projects to compulsively expand and bite off more than they can chew....not me or anyone on this thread, obviously. Lol.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Just five more days...
Please don't remind me lol

Anywho, the talk of vehicle damage the other day reminded me of one of the lesser-known violent tors from the 4/3/74 Super Outbreak: the Mannsville, KY F4. Specifically, it reminded me of this car that was mangled and whose engine was found embedded into a tree some distance away:

yopA1ZW.jpg

IIRC, there were three teenagers riding in the car. They saw the tornado coming and bailed, riding it out in a ditch nearby. I don't think any of them were seriously injured. The tornado itself was surprisingly well-documented considering the rural area:

bPMX1sO.jpg

46jm7oO.jpg

mDeLjHD.jpg

JWXCfmz.jpg

81Lo3TY.jpg

AtiHIAw.jpg

This girl and her family got awfully lucky and survived in the little crawlspace here:

hkLaAA8.jpg

uS92LmF.jpg

RzJEA5K.jpg

Some aerial shots:

uxPa8QU.jpg

5kTYXVl.jpg

O2IzFdk.jpg

EpHbl97.jpg

PQdwDNz.jpg

nI6JcdJ.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

Anywho, the talk of vehicle damage the other day reminded me of one of the lesser-known violent tors from the 4/3/74 Super Outbreak: the Mannsville, KY F4. Specifically, it reminded me of this car that was mangled and whose engine was found embedded into a tree some distance away:

yopA1ZW.jpg

IIRC, there were three teenagers riding in the car. They saw the tornado coming and bailed, riding it out in a ditch nearby. I don't think any of them were seriously injured. The tornado itself was surprisingly well-documented considering the rural area:

bPMX1sO.jpg

46jm7oO.jpg

mDeLjHD.jpg

JWXCfmz.jpg

81Lo3TY.jpg

AtiHIAw.jpg

This girl and her family got awfully lucky and survived in the little crawlspace here:

hkLaAA8.jpg

uS92LmF.jpg

RzJEA5K.jpg

Some aerial shots:

uxPa8QU.jpg

5kTYXVl.jpg

O2IzFdk.jpg

EpHbl97.jpg

PQdwDNz.jpg

nI6JcdJ.jpg
Interestingly one of the homes in the photos appears to have anchor bolts though it is on a cinder block foundation.

Last edited:
Reaction score

yopA1ZW.jpg

bPMX1sO.jpg

46jm7oO.jpg

mDeLjHD.jpg

JWXCfmz.jpg

81Lo3TY.jpg

AtiHIAw.jpg

hkLaAA8.jpg

uS92LmF.jpg

RzJEA5K.jpg

Some aerial shots:

uxPa8QU.jpg

5kTYXVl.jpg

O2IzFdk.jpg

EpHbl97.jpg

PQdwDNz.jpg

nI6JcdJ.jpg
One thing about this outbreak that is often forgotten is the sheer amount of tornadoes TN and KY had that day; the old thread had some photographs of a home swept away somewhere in TN but I can't recall the name of the tornado now.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

yopA1ZW.jpg

bPMX1sO.jpg

46jm7oO.jpg

mDeLjHD.jpg

JWXCfmz.jpg

81Lo3TY.jpg

AtiHIAw.jpg

hkLaAA8.jpg

uS92LmF.jpg

RzJEA5K.jpg

Some aerial shots:

uxPa8QU.jpg

5kTYXVl.jpg

O2IzFdk.jpg

EpHbl97.jpg

PQdwDNz.jpg

nI6JcdJ.jpg
Interesting how that one got F4 considering some of the other '74 Super Outbreak tornadoes (the one that immediately came to my mind is Sayler Park) that got F5.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Interestingly one of the homes in the photos appears to have anchor bolts though it is on a cinder block foundation.
Yeah, I saw quite a bit of that with 5/31/85 as well - homes anchored to CMU foundation walls w/bolts cast into filled cells. Definitely better than nothing, but strong tornadoes just rip the bolts out or sometimes rip the anchor blocks right out of the walls.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Are there any photos of, say, Daniel Boone Forest, Monticello, Brandenburg (well, uncontroversial photos) or Tanner? Or Madison? Or any of the other dozen+ violent tornadoes that day?
Kennard, IN F4:

MpdywxS.jpg

khOgW6z.jpg

tStVPFQ.jpg

Richmond-Mt. Sterling, KY F4:

vEljqaC.jpg

P8cTzVt.jpg

rk9gos3.jpg

Madison, IN F4 (apparently?):

4WePJjr.jpg

Elizabethtown-Bardstown, KY F4:

LalDCi3.jpg

Decatur-Huntsville, AL F3:

OjkJa4n.jpg

Cynthiana, KY F3:

66hHNPl.jpg

Cleveland, TN F3:

gOb5Fx5.jpg

Of course Xenia, Sayler Park and Parker City were all very well-photographed, but I assume most people have already seen a bunch of them so I didn't bother to add them.

Reaction score
Kennard, IN F4:

MpdywxS.jpg

khOgW6z.jpg

tStVPFQ.jpg

Richmond-Mt. Sterling, KY F4:

vEljqaC.jpg

P8cTzVt.jpg

rk9gos3.jpg

Madison, IN F4 (apparently?):

4WePJjr.jpg

Elizabethtown-Bardstown, KY F4:

LalDCi3.jpg

Decatur-Huntsville, AL F3:

OjkJa4n.jpg

Cynthiana, KY F3:

66hHNPl.jpg

Cleveland, TN F3:

gOb5Fx5.jpg

Of course Xenia, Sayler Park and Parker City were all very well-photographed, but I assume most people have already seen a bunch of them so I didn't bother to add them.
I'd love to get a photograph of Brandeburg but that doesn't seem likely....are there any photographs of the Northern Alabama tornadoes from that day?

Reaction score
There are some of the Huntsville F3 which have been posted in here before but all of them occurred during nighttime or the late evening so I doubt there are any others.
Oh yeah it's illuminated in a power flash....forgot about those.
Yeah, both of the Tanners, Guin and some others I'm forgetting were likely fast-moving, rain wrapped and and spawned from low-hanging cloud bases so not exactly conducive to successful photography (in addition to being at night) so good point. Still, it's a shame.

Back