• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The Barrie industrial park photos reminded me of something. Since we're coming up on November, I wanted to share some damage photos of what I personally consider to be one of Ohio's most violent tornadoes. The Van Wert, OH F4 occurred on November 10, 2002 and was a part of the 2002 Veterans Day Tornado Outbreak. Multiple homes were completely slabbed along the path, though I have been unable to determine the degree of anchoring at any of them. The Van Wert tornado produced some very intense damage to industrial buildings. Large metal-framed warehouses were totally flattened, and in some cases, the metal framing itself was detached and pushed off the slab, Niles-Wheatland style. The one visible in the lower left of the last photo sustained some of the most high-end damage to an industrial building I have seen. Trees and low-lying shrubs were completely shredded and debarked in rural areas too. The second photo also shows what appears to be significant ground scouring, but I can't confirm with 100% certainty.
VW26.jpg

VW9.jpg

VW8.jpg

air-17.jpg

vison.jpg
Oh wow I never realized Van Wert was so violent.

Reaction score
Also in that last photo, there’s what also looks to be some discoloration/grass scouring right next to the railroad tracks in the extreme lower right corner. I’m wondering if this is due to track ballast being blasted across the ground?
That damage looks like it is at least high-end F4 and possibly even F5 from Van Wert.

Reaction score
The Barrie industrial park photos reminded me of something. Since we're coming up on November, I wanted to share some damage photos of what I personally consider to be one of Ohio's most violent tornadoes. The Van Wert, OH F4 occurred on November 10, 2002 and was a part of the 2002 Veterans Day Tornado Outbreak. Multiple homes were completely slabbed along the path, though I have been unable to determine the degree of anchoring at any of them. The Van Wert tornado produced some very intense damage to industrial buildings. Large metal-framed warehouses were totally flattened, and in some cases, the metal framing itself was detached and pushed off the slab, Niles-Wheatland style. The one visible in the lower left of the last photo sustained some of the most high-end damage to an industrial building I have seen. Trees and low-lying shrubs were completely shredded and debarked in rural areas too. The second photo also shows what appears to be significant ground scouring, but I can't confirm with 100% certainty.
VW26.jpg

VW9.jpg

VW8.jpg

air-17.jpg

vison.jpg
I posted on Van Wert a while back so I might as well link back to it:

It did something similar to the steel frame of a movie theater, the damage to the theater and the factory buildings in your pics above appear to be either from a suction vortex or the tornado's core directly impacting it. Either way, incredible and November 2002 is an outbreak that is somehow largely forgotten.
Also, the second photo some vehicles appear to be partially caked in mud so I'd say it is ground scouring of some sort.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I posted on Van Wert a while back so I might as well link back to it:

It did something similar to the steel frame of a movie theater, the damage to the theater and the factory buildings in your pics above appear to be either from a suction vortex or the tornado's core directly impacting it. Either way, incredible and November 2002 is an outbreak that is somehow largely forgotten.
Also, the second photo some vehicles appear to be partially caked in mud so I'd say it is ground scouring of some sort.
The Parkersburg comparison is dead on, and was the first thing I thought of when I saw the photo.

Also yeah the more I look at that second photo the more confident I am that it’s intense scouring we’re looking at.

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Some extreme damage from the tornado in Funing made me believe that the monster reached EF5 strength at some time. There may be a car in the red circle

Attachments

• mmexport1635490464680.jpg
    mmexport1635490464680.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • mmexport1635548861406.jpg
    mmexport1635548861406.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_1030_080535.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_080535.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_1030_080513.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_080513.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_1030_080936.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_080936.png
    409.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_1030_080709.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_080709.png
    306.4 KB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
Some extreme damage from the tornado in Funing made me believe that the monster reached EF5 strength at some time. There may be a car in the red circle
Impressive, no doubt. Not sure if there's quite enough to call it EF5, but it may very well have been capable of that, especially as it impacted the Beichencun area. What it did to those shipping containers suggests a pretty high-end event. Glad to see you posting here again btw.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wanted to ask btw, any updates on ratings for additional significant tornadoes that occurred in China this year? They rated Shengze, Wuhan, and Shangzhi, but seem to have stopped assigning more ratings after that. I have heard nothing official regarding Baochang, Guyuan (both of them), Fengning, that monster stovepipe in rural Inner Mongolia, Shenxian, Gaotang, Binzhu, Zhanhua, Zalantun, and Baoding. Are they planning to eventually assign ratings? They should if they can, because all of those were clearly either strong to violent.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Wanted to ask btw, any updates on ratings for additional significant tornadoes that occurred in China this year? They rated Shengze, Wuhan, and Shangzhi, but seem to have stopped assigning more ratings after that. I have heard nothing official regarding Baochang, Guyuan (both of them), Fengning, that monster stovepipe in rural Inner Mongolia, Shenxian, Gaotang, Binzhu, Zhanhua, Zalantun, and Baoding. Are they planning to eventually assign ratings? They should if they can, because all of those were clearly either strong to violent.

Robinson lee

Reaction score
We still lack some information about these tornadoes, and we don't know the official evaluation at present, but we have found some damage in many tornadoes. For me, Wuhan tornado is definitely worth the high-end rating of Ef3. Its damage to houses, factories and trees is impressive, and Baochang tornado has undoubtedly reached the intensity of ef4

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021_1030_101654.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_101654.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 0
  • -1a4efd1a2d14ef08.jpg
    -1a4efd1a2d14ef08.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • mmexportacace5c2233b63c47376fba9e4ecf051_1635294637337.jpeg
    mmexportacace5c2233b63c47376fba9e4ecf051_1635294637337.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2021_1030_102117.png
    Screenshot_2021_1030_102117.png
    461.4 KB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, off topic, but has anyone seen the trailer for 13 Minutes? Heard the film itself isn't that good, but that has got to be the most realistic CGI wedge tornado I have ever seen. Even has a collar cloud! Somebody really did their homework. Most Hollywood tornado scenes have that unrealistic, smoky-looking, overly textured appearance, when in reality, most tornadoes have more of a "2-D" look to them. As a result, less detail and texture actually makes it look more like the real deal. Whoever animated the movie clearly figured that out.
13minutes.PNG

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
We still lack some information about these tornadoes, and we don't know the official evaluation at present, but we have found some damage in many tornadoes. For me, Wuhan tornado is definitely worth the high-end rating of Ef3. Its damage to houses, factories and trees is impressive, and Baochang tornado has undoubtedly reached the intensity of ef4
Were there any likely significant tornadoes during the 5/14-15/21 outbreak besides Wuhan and Shengze?

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Also, off topic, but has anyone seen the trailer for 13 Minutes? Heard the film itself isn't that good, but that has got to be the most realistic CGI wedge tornado I have ever seen. Even has a collar cloud! Somebody really did their homework. Most Hollywood tornado scenes have that unrealistic, smoky-looking, overly textured appearance, when in reality, most tornadoes have more of a "2-D" look to them. As a result, less detail and texture actually makes it look more like the real deal. Whoever animated the movie clearly figured that out.
View attachment 10621
I'm pretty sure that is because it is real chaser footage as the one in the thumbnail is Tescott 2018.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
At the request of Shakespeare 2016 here are the full resolution Marion photos (and before anyone rushes to lecture me about Tornado Talk and their "premium articles" I should note these photos are EASILY obtainable on the DuckDuckGo search engine, plus without context from the article it is hard to tell what a lot of the photos actually show)
Marion-ND.JPG
Marion-ND2.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-axle.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-beam.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-debarking.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-debarking2.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-debarking-metal.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-equipment.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-equipment2.JPG
Marion-ND-damage-foundation.JPG

locomusic01

Reaction score
I don't remember if I ever posted this, but here's a video from near the end of the Grand Valley F4's path. The description says it's from Tottenham, which is where some of the most intense damage occurred, but it's actually further east in the Holland Marsh. Quality is really terrible and (as usual) it focuses more on the minor damage than the harder-hit areas, but anyway:

Back