• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
This pic below came across to me and showed that even Hackleburg can't do slightest damage to railway with tons of debris in Phil Campbell at undoubtedly EF5 intensity, which makes me further wander how much force It took to do railway damage like Chapman.
View attachment 10202
Several other pics in nearby area.

View attachment 10203View attachment 10204
View attachment 10205
Rail's one of those things there's many variables to consider, older rails can be easily torn apart, modern rail can't....I think the Chapman rail damage was exacerbated by the gas tank that got slammed against and likely some large equipment could have helped in the deformation as well.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Rail's one of those things there's many variables to consider, older rails can be easily torn apart, modern rail can't....I think the Chapman rail damage was exacerbated by the gas tank that got slammed against and likely some large equipment could have helped in the deformation as well.
Railway was very close to the ground, only several inches above the ground. Gas tank can't even have a cross section with the railway and the railway had been moved by Chapman was close to the acutal width of the tornado itself. There was no such large tank nearby or downwind, let alone the upwind of the railway was complete open field. I think the debris impact theory there was unreasonable just like Vilonia's debris hitting theory. We can't classify all unthinkable damage simply into debris hitting with no obvious reason, especially in the open field.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Railway was very close to the ground, only several inches above the ground. Gas tank can't even have a cross section with the railway and the railway had been moved by Chapman was close to the acutal width of the tornado itself. There was no such large tank nearby or downwind, let alone the upwind of the railway was complete open field. I think the debris impact theory there was unreasonable just like Vilonia's debris hitting theory. We can't classify all unthinkable damage simply into debris hitting with no obvious reason, especially in the open field.

You can see a white tank in the left side of this picture:

maxresdefault.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
You can see a white tank in the left side of this picture:

View attachment 10210
This white tank was on the upwind direction of the railway so It play no role in the damage downwind of it. Besides, the railway that had been moved was far far longer than the length of this small tank. It was completely unreasonable to assume this small tank caused the railway damage.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's the first version of my list of the strongest tornadoes ever recorded. Of course it's very, very subjective and also subject to change, but I would like to get some thoughts/feedback:

20. Rainsville, Alabama (2011)
19. Joplin, Missouri (2011)
18. Udall, Kansas (1955)
17. Moore, Oklahoma (2013)
16. Westminster, Texas (2006)
15. Marion, North Dakota (2004)
14. Hackleburg-Phil Campbell, Alabama (2011)
13. Andover, Kansas (1991)
12. El Reno, Oklahoma (2011)
11. Chapman, Kansas (2016)
10. Bridge Creek-Moore, Oklahoma (1999)
9. Pomeroy, Iowa (1893)
8. Tri-State Tornado (1925)
7. Philadelphia, Mississippi (2011)
6. Sherman, Texas (1896)
5. Smithville, Mississippi (2011)
4. Harper, Kansas (2004)
3. Bakersfield Valley, Texas (1990)
2. Culbertson, Nebraska (1990)
1. Jarrell, Texas (1997)

Reaction score
Here's the first version of my list of the strongest tornadoes ever recorded. Of course it's very, very subjective and also subject to change, but I would like to get some thoughts/feedback:

20. Rainsville, Alabama (2011)
19. Joplin, Missouri (2011)
18. Udall, Kansas (1955)
17. Moore, Oklahoma (2013)
16. Westminster, Texas (2006)
15. Marion, North Dakota (2004)
14. Hackleburg-Phil Campbell, Alabama (2011)
13. Andover, Kansas (1991)
12. El Reno, Oklahoma (2011)
11. Chapman, Kansas (2016)
10. Bridge Creek-Moore, Oklahoma (1999)
9. Pomeroy, Iowa (1893)
8. Tri-State Tornado (1925)
7. Philadelphia, Mississippi (2011)
6. Sherman, Texas (1896)
5. Smithville, Mississippi (2011)
4. Harper, Kansas (2004)
3. Bakersfield Valley, Texas (1990)
2. Culbertson, Nebraska (1990)
1. Jarrell, Texas (1997)

Oh boy, hoping this thread doesn't devolve into an argument over lists again.
That said, I'll bite for a little bit.
I don't think Rainsville, Philadelphia, Westminster and Chapman belong on the list. Vilonia should take Chapman's place, Niles-Wheatland should definitely be in the top 15, and the list could definitely use some more pre-1960 tornadoes; Glazier-Higgins-Woodward, Flint-Beecher, 1936 Tupelo, and at least one tornado from Palm Sunday 1965 should be on the list. I'm not sure about Culbertson being on the list either as there isn't a whole lot that is known about it. I think that Loyal Valley, TX should be on your list given what we now know about it from this thread. I think you could take Pomeroy off the list and replace it with a tornado from the April 1920 or March 1932 Dixie outbreak. I'll stop for now.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh boy, hoping this thread doesn't devolve into an argument over lists again.
That said, I'll bite for a little bit.
I don't think Rainsville, Philadelphia, Westminster and Chapman belong on the list. Vilonia should take Chapman's place, Niles-Wheatland should definitely be in the top 15, and the list could definitely use some more pre-1960 tornadoes; Glazier-Higgins-Woodward, Flint-Beecher, 1936 Tupelo, and at least one tornado from Palm Sunday 1965 should be on the list. I'm not sure about Culbertson being on the list either as there isn't a whole lot that is known about it. I think that Loyal Valley, TX should be on your list given what we now know about it from this thread. I think you could take Pomeroy off the list and replace it with a tornado from the April 1920 or March 1932 Dixie outbreak. I'll stop for now.
Lol I'm not trying to start any arguments (or partake in any arguments, we've been there on this thread and quite frankly I'm not going back) but I totally get what you're saying.

I think the main problem is that the way tornadoes are rated is so subjective that not even official sources (e.g. NWS offices) can agree on how tornadoes are rated and ranked.

One thing I'm certain of is that it's literally impossible for a "most violent tornadoes" list to exist that everyone agrees on. That being said, even for such a subjective list I think it's good to get multiple viewpoints and advice from multiple people.

Thanks for your interpretation however!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I was planning on writing a short article on the 6/1/90 Bakersfield Valley tornado. I still might eventually, but in the meantime I don't think I've ever posted most of the photos I collected for it. So first and foremost, part of the 300-ft section of Co-Op Road that was scoured:

38691000-1778287042208820-8185248999410761728-n.jpg

As most of y'all probably know, it was reported that the tornado scoured out a huge swath of land (variously reported at anywhere from half a mile to a mile wide), leaving "nothing but dirt and rocks." The super poor quality Storm Data photos appeared to back that up, but it seemed implausible to me that any tornado could produce scouring that intense and widespread. It still does tbh, and yet..

195306602-185363450161437-7016848114011386958-n.jpg

195439782-185363420161440-1385723796213605763-n.jpg

Assorted mangled vehicle parts:

194170502-185363390161443-8339616800760495080-n.jpg

38450871-1773339006036957-1024354476099633152-n.jpg

A truck that was thrown by the tornado, killing the driver:

The-Marshall-News-Messenger-Sun-Jun-3-1990-2.jpg

195043494-184599416904507-2352694344749749023-n-2.jpg

Snapped utility pole:

195559221-185365376827911-196743026894840105-n.jpg

Assorted wreckage (including the remains of some sort of large truck):

195759727-3950506178320218-2247804657467093127-n.jpg

Some sort of tank that was torn apart?:

The-Odessa-American-Sun-Jun-3-1990-4.jpg

A very dead cow:

196177470-185365340161248-3205776356069141231-n.jpg

Assorted oilfield equipment:

38423257-1773341312703393-9029418954514235392-n.jpg

38425788-1773338199370371-5541549435898560512-n.jpg

38494102-1773338716036986-5110275938457747456-n.jpg

37919849-1773341592703365-7528759335501955072-n.jpg

38612324-1773340412703483-4645753205098020864-n.jpg

38085630-1773340149370176-1983356145707778048-n.jpg
Should've asked you this sooner but where did you come across these color photos from Bakersfield Valley? I've only been able to find poor quality black and white Storm Data photos. Also, why are so many Storm Data photos of poor quality?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Should've asked you this sooner but where did you come across these color photos from Bakersfield Valley? I've only been able to find poor quality black and white Storm Data photos. Also, why are so many Storm Data photos of poor quality?
I got them from a guy who worked in the oil field there. Somewhere I've got a list of a bunch of other people I either talked to or wanted to talk to from when I was planning on doing an article on it - there are actually a lot of folks who were either in the area or remember accounts from people who were. I'm sure at least a few of them have pictures somewhere.

I talked to an EMT who was one of the first to arrive in the area and he said a kid was sucked out of his family's truck and thrown hundreds of yards. He was banged up and totally covered in mud, grass, etc. but somehow survived without serious injury. Someone else walked the path where the oil storage tanks were rolled ~3 miles and took pictures of it; they said they'd have to dig around for them but I don't think they ever got back to me. I should see if I can find who it was and reach out again. They did say that one of the tanks was "crushed like a pop can."

And Storm Data photos are terrible because they were originally printed in the publication (probably using low-resolution photos) and then scanned in later. Not much you can do unfortunately, unless you can track down whoever took the originals.

Reaction score
I got them from a guy who worked in the oil field there. Somewhere I've got a list of a bunch of other people I either talked to or wanted to talk to from when I was planning on doing an article on it - there are actually a lot of folks who were either in the area or remember accounts from people who were. I'm sure at least a few of them have pictures somewhere.

I talked to an EMT who was one of the first to arrive in the area and he said a kid was sucked out of his family's truck and thrown hundreds of yards. He was banged up and totally covered in mud, grass, etc. but somehow survived without serious injury. Someone else walked the path where the oil storage tanks were rolled ~3 miles and took pictures of it; they said they'd have to dig around for them but I don't think they ever got back to me. I should see if I can find who it was and reach out again. They did say that one of the tanks was "crushed like a pop can."

And Storm Data photos are terrible because they were originally printed in the publication (probably using low-resolution photos) and then scanned in later. Not much you can do unfortunately, unless you can track down whoever took the originals.

Google Books often has Storm Data publications in it and the quality of the photos there is way better then in the scanned PDFs, really helped me find some good quality damage photos I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Reaction score
This pic below came across to me and showed that even Hackleburg can't do slightest damage to railway with tons of debris in Phil Campbell at undoubtedly EF5 intensity, which makes me further wander how much force It took to do railway damage like Chapman.
View attachment 10202
Several other pics in nearby area.

View attachment 10203View attachment 10204
View attachment 10205
I'm wondering if forward speed played a part here; Hackleburg was moving up to 75 mph and perhaps there wasn't enough time for a suction vortex or the tornado's core didn't pass over the rail, whereas with Chapman it's slow forward speed would have provided more time for a suction vortex to make contact with the rail; you'll notice how the shredded/debarked vegetation is right next to bright green, untouched vegetation and you can see a rail sign that is still standing (if slightly bent) next to the rail.

pohnpei

Reaction score
I'm wondering if forward speed played a part here; Hackleburg was moving up to 75 mph and perhaps there wasn't enough time for a suction vortex or the tornado's core didn't pass over the rail, whereas with Chapman it's slow forward speed would have provided more time for a suction vortex to make contact with the rail; you'll notice how the shredded/debarked vegetation is right next to bright green, untouched vegetation and you can see a rail sign that is still standing (if slightly bent) next to the rail.
It's very likely that forward speed took part in this, but wind speed have to reach the lowest threshold for the damage like this, or else the railway wouldn't be damaged no matter how slow the tornado was. The rail sign standing was something quite common in violent tornados. I've noticed a batch of high end tornados had some signs or poles still standing in worst damage area.The railway damage was less than 100 yards upwind of the EF4 rating house. I am still more convinced that It was main vortex damage based on the overall damage pattern in this area. All DIs matched quite well in this place.
The highest speed of Hackleburg was around 69mph and the average forward speed was around 59mph, still incredible fast anyway.

Reaction score
It's very likely that forward speed took part in this, but wind speed have to reach the lowest threshold for the damage like this, or else the railway wouldn't be damaged no matter how slow the tornado was. The rail sign standing was something quite common in violent tornados. I've noticed a batch of high end tornados had some signs or poles still standing in worst damage area.The railway damage was less than 100 yards upwind of the EF4 rating house. I am still more convinced that It was main vortex damage based on the overall damage pattern in this area. All DIs matched quite well in this place.
The highest speed of Hackleburg was around 69mph and the average forward speed was around 59mph, still incredible fast anyway.
For some reason I thought Hackleburg moved up to 75 mph in places; I guess the Tri-State Tornado still holds the record for fastest recorded forward speed?

Reaction score

The oil tanks being thrown/rolled up to 3 miles is what make these thing incredible to me; how much of a factor do you think the highly rural/remote nature of the area was a factor in this (lack of structures to stop the tanks from going any further)?
The county road being scoured I'm not sure is all that impressive as it likely wasn't all that well-maintained; the concrete culvert being scoured is the crazy thing, especially given the lack of debris this thing likely had in it.

locomusic01

Reaction score
The oil tanks being thrown/rolled up to 3 miles is what make these thing incredible to me; how much of a factor do you think the highly rural/remote nature of the area was a factor in this (lack of structures to stop the tanks from going any further)?
The county road being scoured I'm not sure is all that impressive as it likely wasn't all that well-maintained; the concrete culvert being scoured is the crazy thing, especially given the lack of debris this thing likely had in it.
Yeah, that sort of thing is really only possible in a (mostly) flat, featureless landscape. I've read a handful of similar things from other tornadoes (though probably not quite that impressive) and they were all in similarly flat/empty areas. There's actually an example from 5/31/85 - the Grand Valley F4 destroyed some sort of ranch or machine shop or something (not clear exactly what it was) over near Cedarville and blew an oil tank about a mile and a half. I couldn't find the exact size of the tank so I'm assuming it was probably a lot smaller than Bakersfield Valley, but it was able to throw/roll/tumble it so far because the area around it is basically farmland that's flat as a pancake.

I agree the asphalt scouring probably isn't as extreme as it sounds, especially on older farm-to-market roads like that, but still indicative of a strong near-surface wind field. Speaking of which, I found a report of a patch of road near Cherrytree scoured by the Atlantic F4; been trying really hard to find photos of it because I'd love to know the condition of the road. It wasn't a major highway or anything, but it's sort of a main road in the area and locals say it's been taken care of pretty well.

locomusic01

Reaction score
So here's a brief aerial view of the hardest-hit area in Barrie. It starts with a neighborhood along Patterson Rd, where five people were killed and a number of homes were just completely obliterated, and then moves on to the Morrow Rd industrial park that we've talked about here before.

And a couple short aerial shots from downtown Atlantic. The most intense damage was actually outside of town, but it's not hard to see why it was reported that Atlantic had been "wiped off the map":

Back