• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Based on Grazulis' details on it and the damage photographs available if definitely seems to have been really intense and yet another poorly documented outbreak in the Southern United States. Arkansas has had a surprising amount of violent tornadoes and yet no official F5s.
Yeah... well...

locomusic01

Reaction score
Not related to Bakersfield Valley, but to 5/31/85. The comment from user "coriolis" is of interest, as he mentions having taken photographs from the storm and apparently went up to the Moshannon State Forest area after the tornado went through and saw the mangled fire tower. Perhaps you could track him down and get him to share his photo collection..
Are you talking about a member here? I searched the username and didn't come up with anything.

I'm wondering if lots of this was just layers of loose sand and desert dirt/mud/rock that was blown away, so perhaps not exactly ground scouring? Not sure.
I guess there's no way to colorize the Storm Data photographs? It seems like so many of their publications had low-quality B&W photos, wonder why?
I think what contributed to a lot of this tornado's incredible damage is the lack of structures in the area, objects could be thrown as far as possible and extremely wide instances of damage could occur.
Also, that photo on the left, the scouring is the white patch near the top, right? What are the narrow white lines below?
Witnesses + news reports both specifically mention a very wide strip of scouring with "green grass and shrubs" on either side. It looks like the environment is more sort of desert scrub than traditional grassland, but still. I'm assuming the soil would be more conducive to scouring but I don't know without seeing it up close. I did talk to one guy who was there who said the tornado looked more like a dust storm, which suggests there was a huge amount of dirt hoovered up into the funnel. Also makes sense with the horrific Jarrell-like mutilations to some of the animals in the area.

The white lines are various roads/paths - you can see it a bit in the background here:

The-Odessa-American-Sun-Jun-3-1990-5.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
This event (and honestly April 1929 as a whole) is probably worth more investigation than it gets. There was also the F4 that hit Princedale.
Yeah, I'd love to dig deeper into April 1929 at some point. Not all that often you see swarms of massive, violent tornadoes basically once a week for the whole month covering everywhere from the Southern Plains to the Upper Midwest to the Deep South.

Reaction score
Are you talking about a member here? I searched the username and didn't come up with anything.

Witnesses + news reports both specifically mention a very wide strip of scouring with "green grass and shrubs" on either side. It looks like the environment is more sort of desert scrub than traditional grassland, but still. I'm assuming the soil would be more conducive to scouring but I don't know without seeing it up close. I did talk to one guy who was there who said the tornado looked more like a dust storm, which suggests there was a huge amount of dirt hoovered up into the funnel. Also makes sense with the horrific Jarrell-like mutilations to some of the animals in the area.

The white lines are various roads/paths - you can see it a bit in the background here:

I edited the comment about the username, I provided the link to the thing below, I guess the URL didn't go through the first time around.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to dig deeper into April 1929 at some point. Not all that often you see swarms of massive, violent tornadoes basically once a week for the whole month covering everywhere from the Southern Plains to the Upper Midwest to the Deep South.
Another notable Arkansas outbreak is June 1916, with numerous tornadoes all over the Southern United States; 112 fatalities were recorded overall, with the Arkansas area of the outbreak being exceptionally vicious with 76 fatalities alone.

Reaction score

If the scouring from this really was as wide as reported, it's likely the widest swath of it ever reported, although I think Jarrell's was pretty wide too. Not often you see tornadoes with cores that are that wide, Joplin and Marion, ND being the only other examples I can think of. The descriptions of this thing being obscured with dust/dirt and partially rain-wrapped remind me of the Tri-State tornado, although obviously this was nowhere near the scale of that thing.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Was sorting through my files a bit and came across these so I figured I'd post them. March 14, 1933 is usually known for the tornado that struck Nashville and killed 15 people, but a (probably) more intense tornado also devastated the mining town of Pruden:

pruden-tn-3.png

pruden-tn-4.png

A wrecked coal tipple:

pruden-tn-coal-tipple.png

pruden-tn.png

pruden-tn-2.png

pruden-tornado.jpg

Another tornado (more accurately, tornado family) swept through the Cherry Hill area of Kingsport, among other places, and killed another 16 people:

cherry-hill-photo-3.jpg

cherry-hill-dewey-lawson-car.gif

cherry-hill-tornado-1.jpg

cherry-hill-tornado-4.jpg

The wreckage of a church:

cherry-hill-church-destroyed.gif

locomusic01

Reaction score
I edited the comment about the username, I provided the link to the thing below, I guess the URL didn't go through the first time around.
Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

If the scouring from this really was as wide as reported, it's likely the widest swath of it ever reported, although I think Jarrell's was pretty wide too. Not often you see tornadoes with cores that are that wide, Joplin and Marion, ND being the only other examples I can think of. The descriptions of this thing being obscured with dust/dirt and partially rain-wrapped remind me of the Tri-State tornado, although obviously this was nowhere near the scale of that thing.
Yeah, the scouring in Jarrell maxed out at around 0.6 mi wide or so if memory serves. Bridge Creek was similar but a bit narrower.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I'm starting to go through my photos for the sections of my 5/31/85 article that I have written so far and sort of pruning out the ones I'm not going to use. I don't wanna clog up the thread if people aren't interested, so I'll just post a few for now. These are all from the Beaver Falls F3.

The Big Beaver Plaza:

big-beaver-plaza-aerial.jpg

big-beaver.jpg

big-beaver-plaza-2-linda-james.jpg

In the far background here you can see part of Fox Run Golf Course that was damaged, as well as a garage that was obliterated.

big-beaver-plaza-collapsed-debbie-clatworthy-rice.jpg

A before and after view of a home that was destroyed a little further along near the Spotlight 88 in North Sewickley Township:

bob-higgins-home-before-and-after.jpg

Another home next door that was blown away:

carlin-home.jpg

And several other pictures of another home in the same area:

near-spotlight-88-5.jpg

near-spotlight-88-4.jpg

near-spotlight-88-3.jpg

near-spotlight-88-2.jpg

near-spotlight-88-6.jpg

Haven't figured out a location for this one yet, but it's somewhere along the Beaver Falls path (probably in the Evans City area if I had to guess):

61936271-10156299514097322-2182428657266458624-n.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
Albion looks to be pretty narrow in terms of the severe damage; was it narrow like Wheatland or not that extreme?
Yeah, pretty similar but not as extreme a gradient. Although the quality is poor, WSEE's aerial video shows most of the town. The very first shot also shows Kennedy's Trailer Court, which is where the three Cranesville fatalities occurred:

I've got a ton of aerial shots from Albion so I'll probably post some higher-quality ones later after I figure out which ones I need for my article. There's some very clear wind rowing and some areas of enhanced vegetation damage, and the overall damage pattern is pretty suggestive of multiple vortices. That also fits with the descriptions given by some of the people I talked to.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Linking back to this post from @locomusic01 to reference the other color photos of Stratton that I've seen. Man it would be nice to get the whole collection up. Have kind of lost hope in the idea of Dean Cosgrove uploading them, so perhaps the original photographer – who seems to be the one who started that Reddit thread (or knows them) – can provide them.

Reaction score

Linking back to this post from @locomusic01 to reference the other color photos of Stratton that I've seen. Man it would be nice to get the whole collection up. Have kind of lost hope in the idea of Dean Cosgrove uploading them, so perhaps the original photographer – who seems to be the one who started that Reddit thread (or knows them) – can provide them.
I remember when Dean's chasetours.com was still up and he had some photographs from that damage on there but now it's gone the way of the buffalo. I'm not sure what his problem is with sharing damage photos. I managed to salvage this photo of the automobile remains from this tornado that were collected for insurance purposes by the owner:

nebraska_3.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like Dean posted some of his photos from it on a Stormtrack forum:

A link to the damage pics on his old site, photos don't show up on my computer but perhaps someone can get them to show up on their computer and put them on this thread:

locomusic01

Reaction score

Have you (or anyone else) reached out to this redditor to see what else they might have? If not, I will later on.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Have you (or anyone else) reached out to this redditor to see what else they might have? If not, I will later on.
Not yet, I don't usually use Reddit, but I might start after seeing that photo pop up there haha.

Back