• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
This damage to a concrete form building in Brahambaria is pretty impressive, and potentially indicative of EF4 intensity, depending on the degree of reinforcement.
View attachment 9650
In the second to last photograph, I posted you can see what appears to be a structure partially constructed out of concrete that is reinforced with rebar. Also I believe some of the damage photographs might show vegetation scouring.

buckeye05

Reaction score
In the second to last photograph, I posted you can see what appears to be a structure partially constructed out of concrete that is reinforced with rebar. Also I believe some of the damage photographs might show vegetation scouring.
Yeah was trying to figure out if the pic of the field 6th from the bottom shows ground scouring. I’d lean towards yes.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Here are some pre-1990 Bangladesh region tornadoes that the owner of the Bangladesh Tornadoes site considers to be "extremely violent."

4/8/1838 Calcutta: This slow moving tornado ripped through through parts of Calcutta. Numerous homes were completely swept away, coconut/date trees were ripped out of the ground and thrown hundreds of feet, palm trees were debarked, and grass was scoured from the ground.

4/19/1963 Cooch Behar: This intense and devastating tornado touched down in Cooch Behar, India, and moved through extreme northern Bangladesh. Hundreds of homes were destroyed with many being swept away. Metal tube wells were broken, trees were denuded of branches, loaded steel trunks were blown considerable distances, and entire bamboo groves were uprooted. At places along the tornado’s track everything was coated in a ⅛ inch layer of mud and intense ground scouring occurred in paddy/jute fields. Scrap metal was carried for 29 miles. Fujita gave this tornado an F4 rating.

4/11/1964 Muhammadpur: What was likely one of the deadliest tornadoes in world history cut a U-shaped path through the Magura and Narail districts. The devastation was immense with entire villages being swept away and bodies being found in trees. The village of Bhabanipur was completely wiped out with all of its 400 people population missing. Some sources list the death total as high as 1400.

4/14/1969 Dhaka: A part of a devastating outbreak of 2-3 tornadoes, this deadly tornado cut a swath through the NE suburbs of Dhaka. Many victims were carried long-distances and horribly mutilated.

4/1/1972 Fulbaria: This massive and extremely intense tornado tore through rural villages south of Mymensingh. Numerous homes literally vanished and it was as if it was "leveled by a 1000 giant dozers." Trees were reportedly carried for miles and iron sheet metal was found in treetops miles away.

4/17/1973 Balurchar: This large tornado moved through the Manikganj subdivision completely leveling multiple villages. Many homes were swept away. A boat was carried for a ½ mile and a permanent 15 ft high and 8 ft wide concrete structure was moved a couple yards.

4/1/1977 Shibchar: Moved through Madaripur and Shibchar. Homes and trees were leveled.

4/26/1989 Saturia: The officially deadliest tornado in world history moved from Daultapur to Saturia. Entire blocks of homes were completely leveled and trees were completely denuded of branches. WMO rated this tornado as a mid-F3.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another notable international tornado is the 2016 Dolores tornado. It was very similar to Tuscaloosa in appearance. I'm looking for damage photos from the event.

Was just about to post about this one. The damage that it produced was pretty intense, and may have been on the higher end of the F3 range. This video shows its violent motion the clearest imo. It was indeed Tuscaloosa-like.

Also some pretty intense video taken from the downtown area of Dolores as it took a direct hit

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
unknown.png

20160508_153244-ok-16-9-728slider.jpg

Dolores1After.jpg

Here are some damage photos I found from the 2016 tornado.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The contextual damage produced by the 2016 Dolores tornado isn't really that impressive. I do wonder if it was stronger over rural areas if that is where the videos showing the impressive motion were taken.

Reaction score
Another notable international tornado is the 2016 Dolores tornado. It was very similar to Tuscaloosa in appearance. I'm looking for damage photos from the event.

That first video in particular you can see horizontal vortices on that thing; I really think Bangladesh is on par with the USA in terms of violent tornadoes but as that country doesn't have any national weather organizations or ways of recording tornadoes officially they are often under-reported or don't make much news in the international press.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
That first video in particular you can see horizontal vortices on that thing; I really think Bangladesh is on par with the USA in terms of violent tornadoes but as that country doesn't have any national weather organizations or ways of recording tornadoes officially they are often under-reported or don't make much news in the international press.
This is from Uruguay, a country in South America but anyways I do believe there have probably been more than several violent tornadoes in Bangladesh.

zvl5316

Reaction score
There is some memorable horizontal vortices in the EF3 tornado hit Foshan, China on October 4, 2015. I guess it is the only case that horizontal vortices is cameraed in tornadoes spawned by tropical cyclones?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
There is some memorable horizontal vortices in the EF3 tornado hit Foshan, China on October 4, 2015. I guess it is the only case that horizontal vortices is cameraed in tornadoes spawned by tropical cyclones?

Are there any tornado videos from China showing extremely violent motion?

Marshal79344

Reaction score

I think it may be one of the only cases caught on camera, most of them are usually hard to see but I'm pretty certain it wasn't the only case ever. Tropical cyclones create extreme shear values, and horizontal vortices are commonly seen in these types of extremely sheared environments (Henryville 2012)

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Been tens years since the 5/24 Oklahoma tornado outbreak. There're tons of discussion and information about this outbreak, but I still want to share some of the photos you guys might haven't seen before.
A completely mangled beyond recognition vehicle in NE chickasha.
47b65a724dcca579625fcc91c879cd28.jpg
Complete hardwood trees debarking and dirt dragging across the road near Blanchard OK, this site was not far from the EF5-level house damage and scoured asphalt. The tornado narrowed down to less than 200 yards at this place I think.
-2bffc393d63f22a567280cf93716e58.jpg
Aerial pics showed mutiple slabs were left after the Goldsby OK EF4
46b970f6f03604032fdaeeb17d83deac.jpg
-2fba3b2253872f41563f7696fb9be415.jpg
Just some of the countless mangled beyond recognition cars in Piedmont OK
-e336267000f402a78404604c22682e.jpg
-7ffdb0e8faa12e1947242a5a2245fad8.jpg-52f8a607632ccb61d7662c24a8ba5cfa.jpg-54cd023b28ef2b2799a63b2e2bf43e71.jpg

Reaction score
May 2011 was just bizarre. A very quiet period followed by another burst of extreme tornadic violence equaling in intensity, if not raw numbers, that of the prior month.

Reaction score

Horizontal bulges are definitely indicative of an intense (EF3+) tornado, as has been related here on numerous occasions. In particular, Foshan’s silhouette is rather reminiscent of the Ivanovo USSR (1984) and Henryville IN (2012) tornadoes’. Both of these tornadoes, incidentally, displayed horizontal-vortex activity, including bulges, while undergoing their “stovepipe” stages. In the only known image of the Ivanovo event the rightward “bulge” in the funnel’s condensed structure is quite evident, with the funnel suddenly becoming much wider with height, despite being relatively narrow near ground level. This phenomenon seems less common in documentation of ≤ EF2 tornadoes.
Been tens years since the 5/24 Oklahoma tornado outbreak. There're tons of discussion and information about this outbreak, but I still want to share some of the photos you guys might haven't seen before.
Both the Chickasha and Goldsby tornadoes were at least as intense as Rainsville, based on unconventional DIs such as ground scouring and damage to vehicles. Even though OUN was hesitant to assign EF5 ratings based on structural damage, it should have taken into account the surrounding impacts as well as the quality of construction, rather than “hem and haw” based on the amount of debris left near the foundations. I think there is enough evidence to indicate that both tornadoes left DIs, contextual included, that indicated near-surface winds solidly in excess of ~175 kt (200 mph). There is no doubt in my mind that both of these tornadoes should have been rated EF5. In general OUN and a number of other offices tend to underestimate wind speeds in these high-end events.

Reaction score
Has anyone found any research on why 2011 was so intense with high-level tornadic outbreaks and F5 tornadoes?

Good question. "La Nina" seems like an overly simplistic and unsatisfactory explanation especially since we have had several La Nina springs (2017, 2018 and 2021 come to mind) that weren't anywhere close not only in terms of tornado numbers, but tornado violence. And it wasn't solely a matter of DIs encountered, either; most of the 2011 EF4s and EF5s (and even some of the EF3s) left contextual damage indicative of extreme intensity including but not limited to total destruction (stripped to the frame/unrecognizable mangling) of motor vehicles, extreme scouring at Philadelphia, destruction/throwing of heavy industrial equipment, etc.

Back