• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

buckeye05

Reaction score
One interesting thing about Joplin is this home (at center) swept away in the Iron Gates subdivision. While most if not all of the worst damage here was rated EF3, aside from the obvious that this showcases a multiple-vortex structure, this home doesn't seem to be mentioned in any damage survey report or research paper I can find.

Anyone have any information about the construction of this home? Or what rating was applied by the survey teams?
View attachment 9645
Judging by what I can see here, this house was likely pulled off of where it was nailed into its subflooring, while the floor itself remained bolted to the actual foundation. That would be EF3 damage.

I’d need close-ups to confirm this though.

Reaction score
One interesting thing about Joplin is this home (at center) swept away in the Iron Gates subdivision. While most if not all of the worst damage here was rated EF3, aside from the obvious that this showcases a multiple-vortex structure, this home doesn't seem to be mentioned in any damage survey report or research paper I can find.

Anyone have any information about the construction of this home? Or what rating was applied by the survey teams?
View attachment 9645
There's another view of this home in this article:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I say it again. If your educational background is 100% engineering and 0% meteorology, then please just stay the f away from tornado damage surveying and the EF scale.

The Joplin debacle speaks for itself. Now thanks to that secondary survey, Joplin is sometimes unjustifiably considered to be a “questionable EF5” for no other reason besides the fact that a team with no weather expertise, and no background in EF scale application was allowed to publish a study. The fact that they failed to identify some of the most intense, if not the most intense damage to a high-rise building (St. John’s) in the history of tornado damage, says it all. Still angry about that.
Made by the same people who gave Jarrell an F3 rating because they missed all the bolted-down houses.

Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I say it again. If your educational background is 100% engineering and 0% meteorology, then please just stay the f away from tornado damage surveying and the EF scale.

The Joplin debacle speaks for itself. Now thanks to that secondary survey, Joplin is sometimes unjustifiably considered to be a “questionable EF5” for no other reason besides the fact that a team with no weather expertise, and no background in EF scale application was allowed to publish a study. The fact that they failed to identify some of the most intense, if not the most intense damage to a high-rise building (St. John’s) in the history of tornado damage, says it all. Still angry about that.
Another thing I have never understood is that some people, not necessarily on this forum, have claimed that Joplin did not produce conventional EF5 DIs such as slabbed homes, even though the images posted by @locomusic01 and others make clear that Joplin slabbed several well-bolted, single-family homes. Similar claims were also erroneously made about Moore (2013) until Tim Marshall et al. laid them to rest. Some other people have also claimed from time to time that Joplin did not produce extreme vegetative damage and ground scouring, even though quite a few aerials and ground-level images show extensive ground scouring around the Home Depot and elsewhere, and the level of debarking seen on mature trees is locally as intense as that in El Reno (2011), one of the most violent such instances on record, alongside New Richmond, Udall, Andover, Jarrell, Bridge Creek, Loyal Valley, Harper, Parkersburg, Smithville, et al. The damage to the St. John’s Regional Medical Center is even worse than that which occurred to the Great Plains Life building (pp. 25, 27) during the Lubbock F5 (1970), considering the structural differences in design and height that likely made the former sturdier than the latter. The impact to the GPL building is described below:

Skärmavbild 2021-05-23 kl. 10.49.39.png

Skärmavbild 2021-05-23 kl. 10.53.36.png

Reaction score
zW55CTV.jpeg

I saw this house on Joplin historical images on google earth, which to me looks like part of a foundation missing:

Whats your view on this damage, could it be that part of the foundation is just covered in dirt? This satellite footage was also taken in June so the cleanup would have been well underway at this point (note the debris piles in front of the two homes – ed.).

Source

Of course, based on surrounding context, this home (near centre) was likely of frame-and-masonry construction vs. poured-concrete.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I mean, I don't disagree, but one could also argue that there were fewer long gaps in the pre-EF-scale era because there were quite a few questionable F5s, especially in the 70s and 80s.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another thing I have never understood is that some people, not necessarily on this forum, have claimed that Joplin did not produce conventional EF5 DIs such as slabbed homes, even though the images posted by @locomusic01 and others make clear that Joplin slabbed several well-bolted, single-family homes. Similar claims were also erroneously made about Moore (2013) until Tim Marshall et al. laid them to rest. Some other people have also claimed from time to time that Joplin did not produce extreme vegetative damage and ground scouring, even though quite a few aerials and ground-level images show extensive ground scouring around the Home Depot and elsewhere, and the level of debarking seen on mature trees is locally as intense as that in El Reno (2011), one of the most violent such instances on record, alongside New Richmond, Udall, Andover, Jarrell, Bridge Creek, Loyal Valley, Harper, Parkersburg, Smithville, et al. The damage to the St. John’s Regional Medical Center is even worse than that which occurred to the Great Plains Life building (pp. 25, 27) during the Lubbock F5 (1970), considering the structural differences in design and height that likely made the former sturdier than the latter. The impact to the GPL building is described below:

View attachment 9646

View attachment 9647

Yeah there was definitely EF5 damage to some homes in Joplin, including this anchor-bolted house which sustained outward collapse of a poured concrete basement wall. Posted this before, but like others, I feel the EF5 residential damage in Joplin is overlooked.
eHwKIdg.png

fONxlYS.png

Aerial photo from the same area showing a home and a business that were swept away, leaving only the basements behind:
hpvKoLI.png

Reaction score
Yeah there was definitely EF5 damage to some homes in Joplin, including this anchor-bolted house which sustained outward collapse of a poured concrete basement wall. Posted this before, but like others, I feel the EF5 residential damage in Joplin is overlooked.
eHwKIdg.png

fONxlYS.png

Aerial photo from the same area showing a home and a business that were swept away, leaving only the basements behind:
hpvKoLI.png
Joplin is one the few instances I know of (Brandenburg, Parkersburg and some Dixie events) where a concrete basement wall was blown outward. Pretty incredible.

Back