• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's the one that ends with dead cattle wedged underneath a guardrail.
I did find a playlist that has some Red Rock footage - along with a very unfortunate amount of deleted videos. Not even unlisted, just deleted entirely. I think the video you're looking for might be one of the casualties unfortunately.

I hate when this happens.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Holy crap. I know Rainsville managed to partially heave an underground storm cellar out of the soil, but it didn't crack it like El Reno here did. The damage to the pickup truck reminds me of the 1990 Hitchcock County, NE tornado where a vehicle vanished and the owners were only able to find the grill and bumper of it for insurance purposes. Crazy. Stuff like this makes me wonder if El Reno 2011 was more intense than Bridge Creek-Moore 1999 or Moore 2013 (I'd say yes in both cases). Near the Cactus drilling site there was a junkyard that was supposedly obliterated, have you been able to find any pictures of that?
I'm not quite clear whether the following pics are the one you're looking for cuz this monster just turned the whole area west of Calumet into a "junkyard" lol, but I do remember there's a place something like an abandoned construction site close to the Cactus-117 oil rig.
b294689df424dfd88e8a6985ef21f7a.jpg-5188b8dc39bd0850f2b36aa542ef7d7c.jpg11da02ff6f40422e7427e8e0fc8f15f8.jpg-2e6d47c90749a3caae1da8d47e1ede11.jpg-7f0e9604c425b690fc5303f250d79c43.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not quite clear whether the following pics are the one you're looking for cuz this monster just turned the whole area west of Calumet into a "junkyard" lol, but I do remember there's a place something like an abandoned construction site close to the Cactus-117 oil rig.
View attachment 9181View attachment 9182View attachment 9183View attachment 9184View attachment 9185

Last photo isn't showing on my end. Yeah, the abandoned construction site is probably what I'm thinking of.
Interesting detail in one photograph you can see a workers on top of a pile of either bushes or tangled wire, not sure.
Also, have you ever found any photographs of the crate the workers took shelter in with the huge dent?

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
The damage near Calumet to the west of I-40 was among the strongest tornado damage I've ever seen in rural area, maybe way more intense than 99 Moore in Bridge Creek and 97 Jarrell in Double Creek Estate (13 Moore stays a tiny strengthening period in rural area so it's unfair to put these two together). And actually hardly can I find any words to describe the scene after the tornado moved through this area, every tree, literally every tree was completely debarked, even the smallest tree limbs were completely debarked either, sometimes can you find a tree which its branches and limbs remained intact but it just had no visble bark. I don't know how to explain this reasonably and that just remains a mystery.I'm eager to find out are there anyone could write a detailed summary for El Reno 11 just like Smithville and Hackleburg? I've got a tons of never-before-seen damage photos and if nobody interested in writing this, I may publish them in this forum constantly.
Tree damage near Cactus-117 oil rig
58c732d95d7f14f633c6c782a2427045.jpg1f333d9d74bfcfb95813125c0005a69d.jpg-35d62f0d19103b7a0004d6e733889bce.jpg47a9fef6a4010b14f57e3e9c5b829ab5.jpg
1fb90e1897660f20c00a4a072e82125d.jpg-5f75f14e022d4fa05d123adad8119b02.jpg

Last edited:

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Last photo isn't showing on my end. Yeah, the abandoned construction site is probably what I'm thinking of.
Interesting detail in one photograph you can see a workers on top of a pile of either bushes or tangled wire, not sure.
Also, have you ever found any photographs of the crate the workers took shelter in with the huge dent?
The last photo was too large for me to upload so I screenshot them into three pics, Sorry about that, here's the latter two
3dd6cddf9d47ee9482587c16ac6c47bc.jpg52aea18ba7e761da9b11afe34d052c83.jpg
Another car damage at this site
-1071d3c28bd74f1a3c3bd42b200f10d9.jpg
I know the crate you're referring to and I've seen the damage pics long long time ago on a website, Unfortunately I might not have saved on my laptop, I'll try my best to recover it asap.
The tangled wire is interesting, I've once saw in the case of extreme wind, these wires tend to loose elasticity, curl themselves and crumpled like a ball or just tangled around other obejcts.These phenomenon was observed in Jonesboro last year mentioned by Jeff Pitrowski and Funing had similar damage if I can recall correctly.

Reaction score
The last photo was too large for me to upload so I screenshot them into three pics, Sorry about that, here's the latter two
View attachment 9190View attachment 9191
View attachment 9192
I know the crate you're referring to and I've seen the damage pics long long time ago on a website, Unfortunately I might not have saved on my laptop, I'll try my best to recover it asap.
The tangled wire is interesting, I've once saw in the case of extreme wind, these wires tend to loose elasticity, curl themselves and crumpled like a ball or just tangled around other obejcts.These phenomenon was observed in Jonesboro last year mentioned by Jeff Pitrowski and Funing had similar damage if I can recall correctly.
Bakersfield Valley had similar phenomenea involving barbed wire and topsoil, they looked like tumble weeds.

Reaction score
I did find a playlist that has some Red Rock footage - along with a very unfortunate amount of deleted videos. Not even unlisted, just deleted entirely. I think the video you're looking for might be one of the casualties unfortunately.

I hate when this happens.
It's in the Wayback Machine but won't play, unfortunately. Looks like StormStock had it then took it down.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
It's in the Wayback Machine but won't play, unfortunately. Looks like StormStock had it then took it down.

Yeah that's the video I've watched date back to....uh...I think it's 2016 and at that time it was still available
Also would like to know have you ever seen these colored damage photos for Red Rock
-4d06cef8fa2951ae1ef9baf251b3d803.jpg6178679ae4461bb570a05e9239519d63.jpg-5e6a0e0e0e841021e3f752003e5df88.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Here's the shot of the cow underneath the guardrail:

Reaction score
Yeah that's the video I've watched date back to....uh...I think it's 2016 and at that time it was still available
Also would like to know have you ever seen these colored damage photos for Red Rock
View attachment 9193View attachment 9194View attachment 9195

Holy crap no! I've seen some others I've posted previously on this thread but not these.

Edit: my previous post on it:

1. https://talkweather.com/threads/significant-tornado-events.1276/page-148#post-57547

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
View attachment 9190View attachment 9191
View attachment 9192
OK I got that
IMG_20210424_153919.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone else mentioned this before even NWS Norman seemed to have missed this place during their damage survey.This is a completely leveled foster home close to I-40 near Calumet OK during the 2011 El Reno-Piedmont EF5.The house located only a quarter of a mile away to the Calumet Factory (which was applied an EF3 rating by NWS Norman) and not far from the Cactus-117 oil rig site. However, if the extreme damage near Cactus-117 oil rig site can be called "extreme", I'd like to call the damage around this house "uncomprehensible". The house itself was swept clean, that's common for an EF5, but, meanwhile, the stone storm cellar of the house was cracked, left a big hole and actually I think it was being pulled out by the unbelievable force of the wind.We've seen concrete or cement foundation being slightly cracked by extremely violent tornadoes like Chapman and Hackleburg. But a stone storm cellar? Oh man that's something else, I do not think I've ever seen this type of damage and have no idea how strong the wind can be to tear a stone storm cellar, and what's more ridiculous is that, El reno was still strengthening at this point! A few miles to the east, the DOW measured a 295.5mph wind speed.
View attachment 9169
View attachment 9170
View attachment 9179
The family owner of this house hid in the storm cellar and remained miraculously unhurt. However their white pickup were thrown more than 600 yards away and only a engine can be found caked in the mud, the body of the pickup just vanished.
View attachment 9172
Several Tractors and Combines at this site weren't able to survive either. A heavy combine left only four tires, the rest part vanished as well.
View attachment 9173
This tractor was only left with an mangled axle, the houseowner described he walked down several hundred feet only to recover one tire, the other part of the tractor was nowhere to find
View attachment 9174View attachment 9175
Ground scouring near the house was also "uncomprehensible".Tons of debris from the house, the factory and even the Cactus-117 oil rig were mixed together, granulated into small pieces and scattered across the muddy fields.
View attachment 9176View attachment 9177View attachment 9178
Wow, the more I learn about this one, the more impressed I am. I'm confused as to why I'm hearing about these details for the first time a decade later? It seems like the initial survey writeups from OUN for all of the violent tornadoes that day leave out a lot if information. Everyone's had to piece together evidence from various sources over the years that really illustrate how remarkably violent the tornadoes were that day, especially El Reno.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Wow, the more I learn about this one, the more impressed I am. I'm confused as to why I'm hearing about these details for the first time a decade later? It seems like the initial survey writeups from OUN for all of the violent tornadoes that day leave out a lot if information. Everyone's had to piece together evidence from various sources over the years that really illustrate how remarkably violent the tornadoes were that day, especially El Reno.
Some of the information were released years after the tornado occurred like in 2016 or 2017.For such a rare, long-track violent tornado tracking mainly through rural areas, it does seem very difficult to investigate throughly for the entire path (I'm not defending NWS Norman lol), not to mention about there were 3 EF5s and 2 more violent candidate that day, that's really a big burden for both the NWS and the QRT. There are no drone-survey technology at that time so some non-vehicle-access rural area or sth that wasn't noted on an GPS/map was really hard to get attention, maybe the house damage I listed above is one of them. But I still keep questioning their attitude and professionalism in surveying the damage near Northridge neighbourhood and Falcon Lake Subdivision near Piedmont OK, there're at least two to three FR12 which matched the anchoring and building quality of EF5 type house damage but they just walked over it, took a quick glance, and walked away.Some of the damage points even had no words descriptions

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another thing may need to add near cactus-117 oil rig site was likely an oil tank( at least seems to me) was thrown and completely mangled into unrecoginizable form. We know that oil tanks can be thrown but mangled like this was incredible.
Another vehicle damage, also mangled so completely just like many other vehicles in this place.
108e3ef3c7541156.jpg6b5ef88b1d61641c.jpg3c3ce3f8649b6b42.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Some of the information were released years after the tornado occurred like in 2016 or 2017.For such a rare, long-track violent tornado tracking mainly through rural areas, it does seem very difficult to investigate throughly for the entire path (I'm not defending NWS Norman lol), not to mention about there were 3 EF5s and 2 more violent candidate that day, that's really a big burden for both the NWS and the QRT. There are no drone-survey technology at that time so some non-vehicle-access rural area or sth that wasn't noted on an GPS/map was really hard to get attention, maybe the house damage I listed above is one of them. But I still keep questioning their attitude and professionalism in surveying the damage near Northridge neighbourhood and Falcon Lake Subdivision near Piedmont OK, there're at least two to three FR12 which matched the anchoring and building quality of EF5 type house damage but they just walked over it, took a quick glance, and walked away.Some of the damage points even had no words descriptions
One thing I know was many rating of El Reno EF5 were largely from the discription of house owners because debris were already cleaned up when survey arrived. This has been mentioned on the survey report that day.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone else mentioned this before even NWS Norman seemed to have missed this place during their damage survey.This is a completely leveled foster home close to I-40 near Calumet OK during the 2011 El Reno-Piedmont EF5.The house located only a quarter of a mile away to the Calumet Factory (which was applied an EF3 rating by NWS Norman) and not far from the Cactus-117 oil rig site. However, if the extreme damage near Cactus-117 oil rig site can be called "extreme", I'd like to call the damage around this house "uncomprehensible". The house itself was swept clean, that's common for an EF5, but, meanwhile, the stone storm cellar of the house was cracked, left a big hole and actually I think it was being pulled out by the unbelievable force of the wind.We've seen concrete or cement foundation being slightly cracked by extremely violent tornadoes like Chapman and Hackleburg. But a stone storm cellar? Oh man that's something else, I do not think I've ever seen this type of damage and have no idea how strong the wind can be to tear a stone storm cellar, and what's more ridiculous is that, El reno was still strengthening at this point! A few miles to the east, the DOW measured a 295.5mph wind speed.
View attachment 9169
View attachment 9170
View attachment 9179
The family owner of this house hid in the storm cellar and remained miraculously unhurt. However their white pickup were thrown more than 600 yards away and only a engine can be found caked in the mud, the body of the pickup just vanished.
View attachment 9172
Several Tractors and Combines at this site weren't able to survive either. A heavy combine left only four tires, the rest part vanished as well.
View attachment 9173
This tractor was only left with an mangled axle, the houseowner described he walked down several hundred feet only to recover one tire, the other part of the tractor was nowhere to find
View attachment 9174View attachment 9175
Ground scouring near the house was also "uncomprehensible".Tons of debris from the house, the factory and even the Cactus-117 oil rig were mixed together, granulated into small pieces and scattered across the muddy fields.
View attachment 9176View attachment 9177View attachment 9178
One thing that I found uncomprehending near Cactus 117 site was the incredible muddy feature in this place. Everything just seemed so muddy which makes it really hard to recognize anything clearly. Deep ground scouring must occurred in this place under the circumstance of 40mph moving speed and quite large core of the tornado, which only makes it even more impressive than its already insane damage apperance. Bridge Creek and El Reno 11 were two tornados that can constantly impress me when any newly discovered photo can be found.
-35958024053ba7e0.jpg-154058a2ec048da6.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Several angles of that famous chevrolet avalanche vehicle damage.
-6d8ccb7c733a2c7d.jpg-e544d43e6b35d14.jpg
-52342cceb66625d1.jpg
22d48936717acf5d.jpg
This vehicle had been thrown from a house near Axeman Road, Piedmont, not I-40.
Img_2021-04-24-07-35-57.jpg

The house itself was swept away and the flying vehicle was smashed into the forest behind this house below:
This house was about 600m north of Axeman Road.
qxlarge-dsc-81B2F19E7C50BC500F59B1A37FC6F9C4.jpg
About 200m southeast from this tornado, which near the south edge of the tornado, another large well constructed house swept clean from the foundation and was rated 200mph by Norman. Another house was also swept away near north edge of the tornado at this place.
One thing for sure was this tornado was unimagiable violent in this place, even may stronger than in Falcon Lake or Northridge Lane.
House may near Axeman Road where the vehicle shot out but I am not entirely sure.
548b44517434fc5e.jpg
67fde3c5dc5a1af5.jpg1cdd65d42e2e0a82.jpg-392196c15aa53376.jpg
This vehicle damage was particularly symbolic for El Reno tornado and was particularly mentioned in NWS Survey. However, after further digging, it seems that there were many vehicle damages can rival to this one along tornado's path, especially near Piedmont rural area.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back