• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Next in the 5/6/1965 tornado series: the Mounds View F4 tornado. This long-tracked and violent tornado touched down in Golden Valley and moved NE through northern Minneapolis where it produced F0-F1 damage. After crossing the Mississippi River into Fridley, it intensified and destroyed multiple homes and some apartments near the Northern Ordnance, Inc. It displayed a multiple-vortex damage pattern as it ripped through Fridley, completely sweeping away one home while leaving a neighboring home almost untouched. There was also some wind-rowing of debris in this area. It continued intensifying as it left marks in an abandoned railroad yard as it crossed into Mounds View. Homes and businesses were destroyed in the main portion of Mounds View but the tornado would reach maximum intensity at the Lois-Knoll Drive subdivision close to the edge of town. Here the devastation was complete: numerous homes were leveled with multiple being completely swept away, wind-rowing of debris was evident, trees were debarked, cars were thrown long-distances and mangled and a few cinder-blocks were reportedly chopped up. The tornado then moved over rural areas, possibly scouring farm fields, sweeping away 1-2 farmhouses, and destroying a small airport. It then traveled over the Lino Lakes area at F0-F1 intensity before dissipating 2.5 miles NNE of Centerville.
116222060_10223359976853301_437826482111790161_n.jpg
255751_2033420871612_5611638_n.jpg
117727426_10219791660796485_8460409959778153451_n.jpg
mangled.jpg
stripped.jpg
scouring.jpg
fridley.jpg
117851371_10219791651076242_1450744753933307757_n.jpg
C9526594-7AF8-4B2B-A14B-5F8A7FF14614.jpg
m.jpg
Pt 1 of Photos

buckeye05

Reaction score
Buckeye, do you think the Washington Illinois tornado was capable of EF5 damage?
I’m actually a little unsure about that one. I think that besides lots of wind-rowing, the contextual damage with that one was not quite what I’d expect with an EF5-capable event. The extent of tree debarking was a little bit underwhelming, shrubs next to houses were not shredded or stripped, no grass scouring occurred that I know of, and the extreme vehicle damage that one would normally see in an EF5 did not occur in Washington. Most importantly, a vast majority of the homes that were swept away in town were simply separated from where they were nailed to their wooden subfloors, with the subflooring remaining bolted to the basements.

All in all, I’d say 190 MPH was a good call. I’d also say that Rochelle was a better EF5 candidate than Washington.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
I’m actually a little unsure about that one. I think that besides lots of wind-rowing, the contextual damage with that one was not quite what I’d expect with an EF5-capable event. The extent of tree debarking was a little bit underwhelming, shrubs next to houses were not shredded or stripped, no grass scouring occurred that I know of, and the extreme vehicle damage that one would normally see in an EF5 did not occur in Washington. Most importantly, a vast majority of the homes that were swept away in town were simply separated from where they were nailed to their wooden subfloors, with the subflooring remaining bolted to the basements.

All in all, I’d say 190 MPH was a good call. I’d also say that Rochelle was a better EF5 candidate than Washington.
Trees in Illinois are notorious for being very strong hardwoods, and being nearly impossible to debark. I have not seen a single image showing debarking from the Rochelle Tornado, whereas there were many examples of tree debarking present within Washington. T Some of the wind-rowing was absolutely extreme, and among the most pronounced I've ever seen from a tornado. The rating of 190 mph was valid, but I disagree with you that Rochelle was a better EF5 candidate than Washington was. Bushes also remained intact in the homes rated at 200 mph in Rochelle. Extreme car damage occurs when a car interacts with a sub-vortex, and is not a common occurrence in such fast-moving tornadoes anyway, save for extremely high-end events.

20131117WASHINGTON34.jpg
20131117WASHINGTON22.png

The granulation of debris present at many of the violent tornado damage sites in Washington was very, very significant and comparable to some of the other EF5's that we have seen in the past.

20131117WASHINGTON32.jpg

I have no clue where you got the fact that Washington didn't strip bushes from. This image clearly shows a bush that has been completely stripped and debarked.

20131117WASHINGTON23.png

Some car damage I found from Washington. Although they may not be as intense as some of the other tornadoes, extreme car damage occurs when a tornado's sub-vortex interacts with a car. This is much more difficult to achieve in faster-moving tornadoes, save for extremely high-end events.

20131117WASHINGTON18.jpg

speedbump305

Reaction score
Trees in Illinois are notorious for being very strong hardwoods, and being nearly impossible to debark. I have not seen a single image showing debarking from the Rochelle Tornado, whereas there were many examples of tree debarking present within Washington. T Some of the wind-rowing was absolutely extreme, and among the most pronounced I've ever seen from a tornado. The rating of 190 mph was valid, but I disagree with you that Rochelle was a better EF5 candidate than Washington was. Bushes also remained intact in the homes rated at 200 mph in Rochelle. Extreme car damage occurs when a car interacts with a sub-vortex, and is not a common occurrence in such fast-moving tornadoes anyway, save for extremely high-end events.

View attachment 8612
View attachment 8614

The granulation of debris present at many of the violent tornado damage sites in Washington was very, very significant and comparable to some of the other EF5's that we have seen in the past.

View attachment 8617

I have no clue where you got the fact that Washington didn't strip bushes from. This image clearly shows a bush that has been completely stripped and debarked.

View attachment 8618

Some car damage I found from Washington. Although they may not be as intense as some of the other tornadoes, extreme car damage occurs when a tornado's sub-vortex interacts with a car. This is much more difficult to achieve in faster-moving tornadoes, save for extremely high-end events.

View attachment 8620
I agree with you on the tree debarking thing. with that being said i have seen significant debarking from rochelle too

buckeye05

Reaction score

View attachment 8612
View attachment 8614

View attachment 8617

View attachment 8618

View attachment 8620
I haven’t seen these yet, and I gotta say, these are pretty impressive. I’m a little more impressed with Washington after looking at these closely. Still, Rochelle just impresses me more between the intense grass and pavement scouring, total removal of subflooring, and the debris patterns it left behind. But mostly, it’s the poured concrete sidewalk being shifted laterally that solidifies it as a 200 MPH + event in my mind.

I will say, the lack of clear cut high-end vegetation damage (besides the grass) with Rochelle is puzzling to me, but not quite enough to render the rest of the evidence pointing to a very high-end event questionable IMO.

speedbump305

Reaction score
I haven’t seen these yet, and I gotta say, these are pretty impressive. I’m a little more impressed with Washington after looking at these closely. Still, Rochelle just impresses me more between the intense grass and pavement scouring, total removal of subflooring, and the debris patterns it left behind. But mostly, it’s the poured concrete sidewalk being shifted laterally that solidifies it as a 200 MPH + event in my mind.

I will say, the lack of clear cut high-end vegetation damage (besides the grass) with Rochelle is puzzling to me, but not quite enough to render the rest of the evidence pointing to a very high-end event questionable IMO.
I have a feeling Washington may have produced grass scouring, but i just haven’t seen images if it true or not. also i have a feeling washington also may have stripped sub flooring too, but yet again i could be wrong and we need photo graphs

speedbump305

Reaction score
I have a feeling Washington may have produced grass scouring, but i just haven’t seen images if it true or not. also i have a feeling washington also may have stripped sub flooring too, but yet again i could be wrong and we need photo graphs

There was pavement scouring in rochelle?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

There was some shrubbery stripping from Rochelle.

buckeye05

Reaction score

There was pavement scouring in rochelle?
The surveyor mentioned he noted “convergent” scouring of pavement near Fairdale, though the photo on the DAT is inconclusive imo.

Back