• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

speedbump305

Reaction score
Given that the bus was completely stripped down to its frame I don't see not being evidence of EF5 intensity. Rainsville was extremely selective, but multivortex tornadoes often are. Rainsville also swept away houses without damaging the vegetation or trees around them, which seems weird but again, multivortex tornadoes are like that. I don't think it was as violent as Smithville or Hackleburg but it was still one of the most violent tornadoes documented in quite a while.

This article demonstrates its EF5 potential with some pretty incredible photographs:

Rainsville was probably the least violent EF5 of the day

speedbump305

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with it being the least violent EF5 of the day, although on a day like 4/27/11 "least violent" is extremely relative, lol.
I honestly wanna say this, The Hackleburg and Smithville tornadoes were just absolutely incredible tornadoes, the damage ant catastrophic they left was just absolutely heartbreaking and they both produced very violent damage

pohnpei

Reaction score
Given that the bus was completely stripped down to its frame I don't see not being evidence of EF5 intensity. Rainsville was extremely selective, but multivortex tornadoes often are. Rainsville also swept away houses without damaging the vegetation or trees around them, which seems weird but again, multivortex tornadoes are like that. I don't think it was as violent as Smithville or Hackleburg but it was still one of the most violent tornadoes documented in quite a while.

This article demonstrates its EF5 potential with some pretty incredible photographs:

When a tornado went through a town with a large amount of all types of DI availablle, you have to consider all of them into account beacuse every types of DI has its limited factor. The limited factor of vehicle damage was its randomness. Like, you can't say that
bus damage have to take winds of 230mph or 250mph to do that beacuse noone knows it. All types of DI should complementary with each other with there pros and cons. At least, that is what we did when there were enough DI available inside a city/town. Like I said before, even with some near extreme vehicle damage, Jonesboro was no way being considered as an EF5 tornado, so did Rainsville in downtown area.

speedbump305

Reaction score
I honestly wanna say this, The Hackleburg and Smithville tornadoes were just absolutely incredible tornadoes, the damage ant catastrophic they left was just absolutely heartbreaking and they both produced very violent damage
oops sorry i had some typos, but i meant to put the catastrophic damage they produced sorry

Reaction score
When a tornado went through a town with a large amount of all types of DI availablle, you have to consider all of them into account beacuse every types of DI has its limited factor. The limited factor of vehicle damage was its randomness. Like, you can't say that
bus damage have to take winds of 230mph or 250mph to do that beacuse noone knows it. All types of DI should complementary with each other with there pros and cons. At least, that is what we did when there were enough DI available inside a city/town. Like I said before, even with some near extreme vehicle damage, Jonesboro was no way being considered as an EF5 tornado, so did Rainsville in downtown area.
Alright, I understand where you're coming from now. Rainsville is a bit weird, that said I still stand with the EF5 rating, as so many tornadoes are waaaaay underrated nowadays. The mindset of "conservative rating = more accurate rating" needs to stop (I'm looking at you Vilonia and Chapman).

buckeye05

Reaction score
Ya’ll are fine don’t worry. Only problem here is you know who.

I was just PO’d that someone who’s photo analysis and pattern recognition abilities are essentially non-existent wanted to debate with me over what a photo shows. Oh the irony.

Last edited:

speedbump305

Reaction score
Alright, I understand where you're coming from now. Rainsville is a bit weird, that said I still stand with the EF5 rating, as so many tornadoes are waaaaay underrated nowadays. The mindset of "conservative rating = more accurate rating" needs to stop (I'm looking at you Vilonia and Chapman).
in my personal opinion, it’s really hard to decide which was stronger, Chapman or Vilonia

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

buckeye05

Reaction score
no problem! oooo what career are you focusing on?
Videography, media, and broadcasting. I can’t do math to save my life, but want to have opportunities where I can incorporate severe weather documentation into what I do. About to take a big pay cut, but I’d rather be poor than be stuck in a passionless career.

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
I think that a very underrated tornado that nobody really mentions anywhere was the Franklin, Kansas Tornado of May 4th, 2003. The damage that the tornado produced had textbook violent tornado damage indicators everywhere. Here are some photos that I found while looking for images for my archives today:

Here is a photo of the Franklin tornado itself

20030504FRANKLINTORNADO.jpg

Aerial view of the stricken town. Note the rather narrow corridor, which means that the conservation of angular momentum may have allowed this tornado to be a bit stronger than some of the other tornadoes on this day. Note the potential scouring and ground markings in fields in the background.

20030504FRANKLINAERIAL.PNG

Some impressive ground-level photos I have

20030504FRANKLIN2.jpg20030504FRANKLIN3.jpg20030504FRANKLIN4.jpg20030504FRANKLIN5.jpg20030504FRANKLIN10.jpg20030504FRANKLIN6.jpg20030504FRANKLIN.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Don
Don't misunderstand it. I am not to argue whether Rainsville was an EF5 tornado or not. What I mean was it was not an EF5 tornado in downtown area of Rainsville. There was a map of this tornado on NWS website showed very large areas of EF5 damage all along its path including downtown Rainsville. That was ridiculous. Even Hackleburg/Smithville didn't have so many EF5 areas and it can't be so many EF5 damage being ingnored when you upgrade a tornado 50 days later. Actually the first and second area EF5 damage was no more than EF0/1 damage.

The damage in Rainsville.

Last edited:

speedbump305

Reaction score
I think that a very underrated tornado that nobody really mentions anywhere was the Franklin, Kansas Tornado of May 4th, 2003. The damage that the tornado produced had textbook violent tornado damage indicators everywhere. Here are some photos that I found while looking for images for my archives today:

Here is a photo of the Franklin tornado itself

View attachment 7957

Aerial view of the stricken town. Note the rather narrow corridor, which means that the conservation of angular momentum may have allowed this tornado to be a bit stronger than some of the other tornadoes on this day. Note the potential scouring and ground markings in fields in the background.

View attachment 7958

Some impressive ground-level photos I have

View attachment 7960View attachment 7961View attachment 7962View attachment 7963View attachment 7965View attachment 7964View attachment 7959
What was this tornado rated??