• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

pohnpei

Reaction score
Not sure where is the best place to post these but here were some additional damage photos of Tongaat tornado in South Africa. I'm pretty sure it had some of the widest path I've ever seen from a south hemisphere tornado and probably the widest one since Funing for a non-America tornado

447492166_10160259236646984_7909373255737162146_n.jpg20240606_065217.jpgimage-601.pngimage-962.pngimage-1653.pngimage-1938.png446944196_852075136949263_4569145585916736977_n.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not sure where is the best place to post these but here were some additional damage photos of Tongaat tornado in South Africa. I'm pretty sure it had some of the widest path I've ever seen from a south hemisphere tornado and probably the widest one since Funing for a non-America tornado

View attachment 28509View attachment 28510View attachment 28511View attachment 28512View attachment 28513View attachment 28514View attachment 28515

If I'm not mistaken, seeing a few instances of totally leveled homes and even some spotty debarking. Wouldn't be surprised if the South African Weather Service pulls an EF4 out of this.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, seeing a few instances of totally leveled homes and even some spotty debarking. Wouldn't be surprised if the South African Weather Service pulls an EF4 out of this.
Yep, that's some partial debarking. An EF4 rating would surprise me but an EF3 rating is pretty obvious.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wasn't sure whether this question belongs on this thread or Severe Weather 2024, but I'll ask it here... @pohnpei, what are the craziest tornado videos you have seen from China's tornado season so far this year?

pohnpei

Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether this question belongs on this thread or Severe Weather 2024, but I'll ask it here... @pohnpei, what are the craziest tornado videos you have seen from China's tornado season so far this year?
I think there were some pretty crazy closeups of Guangzhou tornado on April 27
【2024年4月27日广州白云区钟落潭镇龙卷风,经典时刻但是原视频不明的一个角度-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zmqRzPo
【2024年4月27日广东广州白云区钟落潭龙卷风,龙卷一角较近距离极短时拍摄,无水印视频-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/4uudDko
【2024年4月27日广东广州白云区龙卷风,第二著名的面前掀铁皮近距离短时拍摄,无水印版-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/Gf6ombG
【4月27日广州增城朱村龙卷风,双漩涡合并爆发过程记录与短分析-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/DR9330M

and also footage of tengzhou tornado on April 20
【2024年4月20日广西梧州藤县塘步镇陶瓷城龙卷风,最早流出视频的无水印版-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zNt9Odj
We are still only on the beginning stage of the season btw.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think there were some pretty crazy closeups of Guangzhou tornado on April 27
【2024年4月27日广州白云区钟落潭镇龙卷风,经典时刻但是原视频不明的一个角度-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zmqRzPo
【2024年4月27日广东广州白云区钟落潭龙卷风,龙卷一角较近距离极短时拍摄,无水印视频-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/4uudDko
【2024年4月27日广东广州白云区龙卷风,第二著名的面前掀铁皮近距离短时拍摄,无水印版-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/Gf6ombG
【4月27日广州增城朱村龙卷风,双漩涡合并爆发过程记录与短分析-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/DR9330M

and also footage of tengzhou tornado on April 20
【2024年4月20日广西梧州藤县塘步镇陶瓷城龙卷风,最早流出视频的无水印版-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/zNt9Odj
We are still only on the beginning stage of the season btw.
Are you aware of any footage of the 3/31 Nanchang tornado that reportedly sucked people out of high-rise apartments?

Also, somewhat related question but are you UFQDFCS on bilibili?

pohnpei

Reaction score
Are you aware of any footage of the 3/31 Nanchang tornado that reportedly sucked people out of high-rise apartments?

Also, somewhat related question but are you UFQDFCS on bilibili?
It occured at midnight and we didn't see any footage. Actually there's still discussion about whether it was really caused by a tornado.

lmao but I'm not him. He's not on this forum.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tongaat, South Africa tornado rated EF3 by the SA Weather Service

EF3 is a good call for this event. Saw a few instances of what appeared to be totally leveled homes, but they didn't seem well constructed and most masonry structures I saw had walls left standing. Also saw some definite spotty debarking of trees, but nothing stripped clean of all bark.

Like NWS Jackson, the South African Weather Service definitely took their time to get it right, unlike other certain WFO's here in the US.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Found a pretty fascinating tornado event that occurred in Marsa Matrouh, Egypt. Footage of the event didn't start to pop up on YT until 2010, while other uploads (including one by an Egyptian news outlet) popped up on Facebook Watch in 2014 and 2015, but this event occurred on September 1, 2006 from what I can tell. Regardless of the exact date, this is most definitely a waterspout making landfall, and thus a true tornado.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Since I made a post that was basically a "random video dump" on the Significant Tornadoes thread, now I'm gonna do it here:

To start, here's a video I came across out of the blue of the 2011 Fukuoka, Japan tornado. Nothing spectacular from a footage standpoint, but since it only has 28 views as of posting, felt it was worth sharing.

Gorgeous waterspout off Rebun Island, also in Japan. Coincidentally, this occurred only one day after the Fukuoka event.

Unrelated to the previous two clips, but here's an F2 (F1 according to some sources) tornado in Galilee, Israel that struck in April 2006. This event reportedly overturned cars, downed power poles, damaged roofs, destroyed crops and injured at least 70 people in the process.

Tornado over Spain's Barcelona Airport, also in 2006.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's some of my research on the world's northernmost tornadoes.

To start, I'll get the obvious out of the way: the northernmost F5 is the 2007 Elie tornado. The northernmost (official) F4 hit Kiuruvesi, Finland on July 11, 1934. Haven't done extensive research on what the northernmost F3 is, but it's likely the Pulkkila, Finland tornado that struck the town on the same day as the Kiuruvesi event.

Now, here is what I believe to be the only significant (F2+) touchdown ever recorded in the Arctic Circle:

This F2 tornado carved an impressively long 27.7 km (17.2 mi) path near Svetlogorsk in the Krasnoyarsk Krai on July 15, 2007. Svetlogorsk itself is 50 kilometers north of the Circle; to the right is Svetlogorsk Airport which is about 10 km SSE of town. The tornado's path is clearly visible to the left of the airport.
svetlogorsk-1.png

On to tornadoes in general. This 1976 tornado near Kiana, Alaska that occurred 29 miles north of the Arctic Circle is commonly cited as the northernmost ever recorded:
00431672.1977.9931806.fp.png

While the Kiana tornado is definitely the northernmost confirmed tornado in the United States and North America, there are a few events elsewhere (including the Svetlogorsk F2) that actually beat it. This tornado touched down near Kandalaksha, Russia in 2010, roughly 40 miles north of the Circle.

The Kandalaksha event was itself beaten by another tornado that touched down near Olenegorsk a few years later, about 100 miles north of the Circle.

This is the world's northernmost definitive tornado that can be confirmed per the ESWD: an F1 touched down near Tana Bru, Norway on September 26, 2005. It destroyed an attached garage, moved a trailer and blew (tin?) roofing material for hundreds of meters. The report cites the Ságat newspaper, and unfortunately I don't think the article is available online, but the ESWD as such lists it as "report confirmed by reliable source".

But, what about even further north? There are two more reports in the ESWD database, both on July 10, 2005 also in Finnmark County, Norway. These possible tornadoes touched down near Kjæs and Kåfjord (Nordkapp) a whopping 285 and 300 miles north of the Circle, respectively. The Kjæs tornado reportedly overturned a camping trailer at F1 intensity, but the nature of damage (if any) from the Kåfjord tornado is unknown. Also, these events are listed as "plausibility check passed" rather than "confirmed by reliable source" and the sources cited by the ESWD no longer exist, so the exact nature of these mysterious events is unknown.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Have a few more videos to share.
This first one is some rare footage of the 2006 Galilee, Israel tornado. The source I got this from no longer exists, but the Internet Archive crawled it, so this was a lucky find.

Second one is one of the videos I need help identifying. This is most definitely an Indonesian tornado, and happened in Sidoarjo according to the original upload (that, surprise surprise, got deleted so I had to reupload it). Only information I have beyond that is a date of 2019, but don't know if that's accurate or if it's a later reupload of an earlier tornado. @Ivanthetornadoenthusiast or anyone else, do you happen to know anything more about this footage?
edit: Identified. Now down to just one...

This one I know identifying is gonna be a long shot, but might as well ask while I'm here. Only information I have is "Tornado hits villages in Lebanon" according to the title, and an upload date of 2019. Don't know if either of those are accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second one is one of the videos I need help identifying. This is most definitely an Indonesian tornado, and happened in Sidoarjo according to the original upload (that, surprise surprise, got deleted so I had to reupload it). Only information I have beyond that is a date of 2019, but don't know if that's accurate or if it's a later reupload of an earlier tornado. @Ivanthetornadoenthusiast or anyone else, do you happen to know anything more about this footage?
The tornado occurred on November 22nd, 2017

Back