• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Significant Tornado Events - Global Edition

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
do you still have these photos?
Unfortunately the original article was obliterated for an unknown reason and the Internet Archive was no help. Should have saved the darn photos... oh well.

Also, sorry I didn't help more with the Ivanovo project. I did spend hours digging in local and national US newspapers to find any coverage of the event from this side of the Iron Curtain, but couldn't even find a passing mention. Guess the KGB did a really good job at preventing news of the outbreak from spreading beyond the USSR lol

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
He only has 240K subscribers, so it isn't a huge channel, but his content is still amazing! Yes, he has inaccurate photos, but mainly those are for placeholders for when there aren't any real known photos of actual tornadoes. I don't know honestly...who knows, maybe he has a lot of people that already know where the photos were really from. Sometimes, you just gotta do with what you have. Also, Like many other tornado Youtubers, Swegle has been fooled by the fake San Justo tornado photos. But he is not the only one, Carly Anna WX is another Weather YouTuber who used the pseudo photo in her South American tornado video. And let's not forget the pseudo F4 of 1961 near Glendive, MT on Tornado Archive (which you can still see) that caused Swegle to rank Montana higher on a tier list he created when he made a video on ranking all 50 states for tornado activity. He still has a lot to learn
It's not just photos. He made an entire video that perpetuates the false rumor that "Vince Rupert" died filming the Warner Robins tornado, which simply isn't true (to be fair, I believed that rumor at one point, but my source was a Facebook post from NWS Peachtree City themselves).

I can understand using photos as placeholders if no actual photo of [insert tornado here] is available, but said should be done so with some kind of disclaimer.

Not at all saying Swegle is a bad person or that his content is completely terrible. He seems like a nice guy and (as I've said before) he is talented at video production. But I stand by my point that he doesn't strive for factual accuracy, he strives to please Google's algorithms and YT viewers who thrive on polished, inoffensive content.

maksimwx980

Reaction score
Unfortunately the original article was obliterated for an unknown reason and the Internet Archive was no help. Should have saved the darn photos... oh well.

Also, sorry I didn't help more with the Ivanovo project. I did spend hours digging in local and national US newspapers to find any coverage of the event from this side of the Iron Curtain, but couldn't even find a passing mention. Guess the KGB did a really good job at preventing news of the outbreak from spreading beyond the USSR lol
rip to the article, i guess we don't have proper evidence of a nigerian viotor now lol

also thanks for searching for ivanovo stuff, no problem that you couldn't help more, its a long term project, I have made some decent progress, so whenever you feel like helping just throw me a message

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Today marks the anniversary of the Woldegk tornado in 1764, one of the strongest tornadoes in history

The wikipedia page on it can be found HERE

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's worth mentioned that Palluel tornado was reanalysised as IF5 rating recently. They mentioned that though there was some uncertainty, but they choose to go upper bend with the highest rating.
View attachment 28837

Also 7/24/1930 tornado in Italy was also reanalysised as IF5 rating tornado.
View attachment 28838
The famous church damage was rated IF4 but the adjacent building below was rates IF5
View attachment 28839
Those things further proved that the IF5 rating is certainly achievable in Europe, compared with the pretty much unachievable EF5 rating in US now.
Another angle of the funeral hall damage in Montello. It looks noticeably less intense from this angle, and while I do think this tornado was a solid F4 I have yet to see any evidence of actual F5 damage from it.
ciclone-del-montello-4.jpg

Regarding Palluel, I believe this is the factory building mentioned in the ESWD description. Yeah, definitely very thick masonry walls, but the amount of uncertainty in the entry doesn't exactly scream F5 to me:
tornade-palluel-24-juin-1967-pas-de-calais-nord-pas-de-calais-outbreak-tornades-ecourt-saint-quentin-3.jpg

Plus, if that damage from Palluel was rated IF5, then why wasn't similar damage from the 1931 Lublin tornado, 1927 Neede tornado and others rated as such? Goes to show that problems with tornado rating consistency aren't limited to the US.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
@MNTornadoGuy and myself have made previous posts about this tornado, but since most of the photos in them have been obliterated owing to dead links, might as well make another post. I'll try to include photos that haven't been posted here before.

On June 16, 1957, one of the most violent tornadoes ever recorded in Italy (and Europe in general) cut an approximately 10 km long path through the villages of Robecco Pavese, Vallescuropasso and Cigognola. Similar to the Elie, MB storm of 2007, the tornado appeared as a very long-stretched and narrow funnel, looking almost harmless from a distance. But the damage it left behind tells a very different story...

Photos of the tornado itself, starting with this one taken as the storm formed outside of Robecco Pavese:
pavese1.png

Taken in Robecco Pavese:
GQMSaYpWgAAs13V

The man who took this photo actually took at least two more, but unfortunately the scans of the other ones are no longer available.

Cigognola:
jun-19-1957-tornado-wrecks-italian-villages-scene-as-it-hits-cicognola-E0PY03.jpg

Now, on to the damage. People in Robecco Pavese saw the tornado approaching and scrambled for shelter. The village was hard hit, with more than half of the buildings there damaged or destroyed. Twenty homes were reported as completely leveled, and a few were even swept away. Sixteen people were trapped when the village church's walls collapsed, but fortunately they were all rescued. Several structures indicated F4 intensity per the ESWD's assessment, and per my own analysis one or two indicated F5 intensity. The contextual damage was also impressive as trees were mowed down and debarked, and vehicles were hurled and mangled.

Remains of a sturdy masonry home. In my opinion this is an IF5 DI, as all debris above the basement level has been swept away and deposited downwind:
d03f7541-914b-46e6-a292-71d196994574-jpg.27199

An essentially pancaked Fiat Topolino:
GQMSrMUXQAAb-Lb

This one with a debarked tree standing right in front of a comparatively untouched building reminds me of Guin:
imageC-035308_0__99690.1712352435.jpg

Other shots from Robecco Pavese:
imageC-035275_0__78556.1712352073.jpg

imageC-035299_0__76694.1712352321.jpg

pavese3.png
pavese4.png
pavese5.png

Remarkably, despite the devastation, there were no fatalities in Robecco Pavese. But this storm wasn't done...

Continuing on its SSE path, the next villages in line were Vallescuropasso and Cigognola. The tornado may have weakened slightly before it passed through these villages, but certainly still maintained violent intensity. The Guerei family in Cigognola took shelter as the storm beared down on them, but the tornado was just too strong. Their home was completely leveled, and the entire family of five - husband, wife and three children - were all killed. Multiple homes were also destroyed in Vallescuropasso, with two more fatalities occurring there.

All that remained of the Guerei family home:
pavese2.png

Another shot from Cigognola:
imageC-496345_0__70309.1715171905.jpg

By the time the storm's relatively short path concluded, multiple people were dead and 59+ injured.

There are some discrepancies with this tornado. The ESWD actually lists Robecco Pavese and Vallescuropasso/Cigognola as having been hit by two separate tornadoes, but the Tornado Archive and most Italian sources list one tornado. Also, reports of the death toll vary wildly and range from as low as five to as high as eleven. The ESWD has a death toll of six, but my analysis lists seven fatalities.

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1764_Woldegk_tornado

On the 29th of June 1764, a fascinating yet terrifying spectacle occurred near the town of Woldegk, Present-day Germany. A violent tornado touched down, causing a path of destruction of 32 kilometers, or 20 miles in length, and a width of more than 4 furlongs (880 yards), or 800 meters across on average. Even at a ferocity of only F2, the moment the tornado touched down, it began to flex with incredible strength, the likes have never seen before. First, the twister threw two children into a lake, who both survived with little injury. With such immense power, The now F3 whirlwind traversed the lake like a massive finger from God, causing the lake to almost surrender into the holy vortex. Suddenly, it gave birth to a second of its kind, which rushed its parent with such ludicrous force that the spectacle exploded like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. But little did anyone know that the heavenly storm was hardly finished, as it killed a local with the collapse of a home. Continuing its journey, the now monstrous beast dragged a furlong-wide path through a forest of beech timber. denuding dozens of strong healthy trees and snatching the soil beneath them. However, those to the northeast were about to face its full wrath of potential. After the whirlwind caressed to the northeast, completely destroying Lichtenberg Forest. Then, the seething tornado achieved the extreme. The unthinkable. The nightmarish. In fact, the worst damage from a storm in European history was about to unfold before the eyes of those who witnessed it. A large dairy farm, with an exceptionally, well-built stone mansion, was hit head-on by the beast. The tornado was so powerful at this point, that the mansion itself was RAZED TO THE GROUND, with the very cobblestones of its walls, thrown furlongs away. Trees in this area were stripped nude of their bark, turned into pulp, or in some cases, turned into DUST. An eyewitness who spotted the spectacle stated that there were apparent "birds" trapped in the vortex. By a stroke of Lady Luck, no one was subjected to the horror unleashed upon the poor farm. But as for the mansion itself, The magnificent monument of wealth had disappeared without a trace, as if the grand home itself was erected on nothing but a dream. Thankfully, the towns impacted were spared the worst, and the amazing, yet traumatic spiral of magnificence, rose back to the heavens, leaving the people stunned below of what just happened. It was a miracle that only one person died, but little did the people of Woldegk know, that this was only the beginning. The 1764 Woldegk tornado was the first its kind to brush the world, but would not be the last, as many more of this strength, most of which would be seen reigning terror across the New World (USA)...

1719814091321.png

...for the next 250 years.

Logo 468x120
Back