• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Wx Outbreak March 1st- 3rd, 2023 - Southern States, MS/OH/TN Valley

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Even though the GFS is a outlier, I wouldn't discount it's solution, big jumps are to be expected but what sticks is the question, the ensembles are interesting at the moment to say the least, the euro ensemble's have taking a side to a more eastward ejection, but it's a fluid situation lol
It’s not going to snow. Repeat lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
It's important to note the fact that the ensembles of the euro support a sub 1000mb low with the euro control having a 980s mb surface low is still very remarkable, may be more favorable for severe weather than with such a deep low with extremely high shear. The only time I can remember a 980s mb surface low in recent memory to take a similar track was on April 27th. The March 2021 outbreaks where a good bit higher than the low 980s mb, but are similar track to the current euro ensemble's.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
This is why I sound the alarm on this look everytime you get a track like with a sub 1000mb low and decent moisture* it raises a lot of red flags. The last two times yeah... High risks were issued in Alabama. Doesn't mean this event will be a high risk. Just too far away to predict some of the more minor details. These are the two high risk march tornado event in Alabama from 2021.

They were either at or just slightly below of above 1000mb. sfc_0325_21Z.pngsfc_0318_06Z.png

Last edited:
F

Former Member 1430

The gfs is drunk, needs go to bed and sleep it off
Well I think whichever way this goes it will be an extreme event, snow or severe. I am not in the snow camp on this one. I just don’t see it frankly. What has my attention is the severity of both the GFS and Euro regardless of precipitation type

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
A huge broad trough with a swinging deep upper level low through it, is also a red flag. Probably one of the worst case scenarios for 500mb. Usually leads to a higher tornado chances with better shear profiles for the mid levels with the included extreme height falls to the southeast quadrant of the swinging upper low ecmwf_z500a_us_58.png

April 27th 2011 500mb analysis just for reference, a large broad wave trough with a swinging upper level low.500_110428_00.gif

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I would like to state though synoptically were close to a crash course for a major event for portions of the deep south atleast from the European. Your major events; set themselves up on the synoptic scale but can be downgraded or upgraded a lot from the mesoscale features/analysis.

But just for clarification though, I'm not forecasting a major event or even a tornado outbreak *at this point*, just stating the obvious of a potential major event on the horizon if we keep moving forward in a similar manner.

Anyways though let's keep having fun guys until or *IF* this threat materializes.

Back