• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat January 23-25, 2023

Reaction score
Just in case....
The 12z Euro and 12z Canadian are just plain nasty looking at the 500mb level between the 23rd and 25th. Euro actually has two back to back severe weather threats. First
one around the 23rd and then the next one around the 25th.

View attachment 16933View attachment 16934View attachment 16935View attachment 16936
Exactly, still you'll need some robust instability or things will get shredded if we can hit that 2000+ instability. Uh oh.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Just in case....
Wow. I hope this is Fantasy GFS land..... but I remember seeing a GFS long-range once that took a hurricane across Florida into the Gulf, became a Cat 5, and landed it between Louisiana and Mississippi. They laughed at that longe range GFS model.

Now, what was its name???

Oh yeah, Katrina

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Wow. I hope this is Fantasy GFS land..... but I remember seeing a GFS long-range once that took a hurricane across Florida into the Gulf, became a Cat 5, and land between Louisiana and Mississippi. They laughed at that longe range GFS model.

Now, what was its name???

Oh yeah, Katrina
This is what I was saying in one of the other threads, your big time events usually make a name for themselves pretty far out in modeling like the example you've given. The blizzard of 93 was consistent far off in modeling, April 27th 2011 was. April 28th 2014 was. Its kindve odd. Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition but its always good to keep a close eye on things.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
This is what I was saying in one of the other threads, your big time events usually make a name for themselves pretty far out in modeling like the example you've given. The blizzard of 93 was consistent far off in modeling, April 27th 2011 was. April 28th 2014 was. Its kindve odd. Hopefully this doesn't come to fruition but its always good to keep a close eye on things.
What's also alarming me is the consistency. Usually when you get even just one model being so consistent on something its alarming. Drawing on UK weather experience, the 40.3c heatwave in July was being shown from the 300 hour + GFS charts all the way up to when it happened. Obviously timings changed and some run weren't showing the same thing, but the broad pattern was consistent and ended up verifying from 14 days out - something really rare in the UK. Not to say that these GFS runs are definitely going to happen, but it was just a thought.

KevinH

Reaction score
Did those storms consistently have one model screaming this far out or SEVERAL models?

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We saw today in the 12z EURO run a shift west with features that would allow a warm sector and severe weather threat potentially significant to materialize this period albeit with different timing and location compared to the GFS. This period is still mixed within operational and ensemble guidance. However, things that look less questionable is the immense wind energy modeled and also the unseasonably moistened Gulf 65+ dewpoints waiting to be drawn north.

I’d watch for the westward shifts to continue within other guidance towards the GFS. Of note the 18z ensemble guidance showed three relatively similar looks to the operational and they were significant threats. I also see there has been backing of the trough axis, and amplification of the ridge in the GEFS mean. So with all that said I’m currently giving it a slight advantage 60/40 of being an event.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
We saw today in the 12z EURO run a shift west with features that would allow a warm sector and severe weather threat potentially significant to materialize this period albeit with different timing and location compared to the GFS. This period is still mixed within operational and ensemble guidance. However, things that look less questionable is the immense wind energy modeled and also the unseasonably moistened Gulf 65+ dewpoints waiting to be drawn north.

I’d watch for the westward shifts to continue within other guidance towards the GFS. Of note the 18z ensemble guidance showed three relatively similar looks to the operational and they were significant threats. I also see there has been backing of the trough axis, and amplification of the ridge in the GEFS mean. So with all that said I’m currently giving it a slight advantage 60/40 of being an event.
Yeah with this event it's almost a early-mid spring look moisture wise; It's remarkable.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
GFS Operational just gave a decent snow event looks. I wonder if it's going to cave to the euro.. I'll be happy with that I want some snow.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Oh wow! The euro has a big snow storm for the deep south lol. Please do maintain this look globals I would love this a whole lot more than tornadoes!

JPWX

Reaction score
While I would love a big snow event across the Deep South, I'm currently thinking we're more in line for another heavy rain/severe threat. However, having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw both occur just days apart.

KevinH

Reaction score
Oh wow! The euro has a big snow storm for the deep south lol. Please do maintain this look globals I would love this a whole lot more than tornadoes!
Speak for yourself! Hahaha

We don’t know how to handle snow here. We have enough trouble handling tornadoes as it is! LOL! It will be interesting to see how things evolve bc WTH is Dixie doing?! Ha

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
While I would love a big snow event across the Deep South, I'm currently thinking we're more in line for another heavy rain/severe threat. However, having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw both occur just days apart.
Yeah it'd be best to bet on the severe threat a lot more past consistency with that idea. I almost wanna wish cast some snow for my area though hahah! It's been like 9 years since a a 2/3+ inch snow total at my house.

Actually now that I think about it they're may have been a event in-between that time that gave me a good snow can't remember which year though

JPWX

Reaction score
Yeah it'd be best to bet on the severe threat a lot more past consistency with that idea. I almost wanna wish cast some snow for my area though hahah! It's been like 9 years since a a 2/3+ inch snow total at my house.
My last big snow was February 2015. Got 8 inches out of it. My highest snow total I've ever recorded personally.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
My last big snow was February 2015. Got 8 inches out of it. My highest snow total I've ever recorded personally.
That may have been the same event as the one we're we got like 6 inches where I was at. It was either February of 2014 or 2015. There was a lot of winter mischief in the January and February of those years.

Clancy

Reaction score
Speak for yourself! Hahaha

We don’t know how to handle snow here. We have enough trouble handling tornadoes as it is! LOL! It will be interesting to see how things evolve bc WTH is Dixie doing?! Ha
If it snows in Georgia you can usually count on being unable to find groceries for like 3 days and seeing 1,000 abandoned cars on the side of the road.

Back