• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat January 23-25, 2023

JPWX

Reaction score
I just looked at the 12z Euro for January 25th. Boy, if we had more cold air around, this would be the perfect setup for a major Southeast snow event.

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-instant_ptype-4604800.png

UK_EF4

Reaction score
I get the sense the main severe weather day could be trending to the 24th. None of the GEFS have the main trough going through the SE on the 25th anymore, but most have a powerful trough during the afternoon/evening of the 24th, while ECM seems to be heading towards the GFS solution (UKMET similar but slightly slower trough). Could be some pretty favourable parameters in place, but models seem to currently struggle to bring a surface low far north enough for a broad open warm sector. We will see how things progress.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I get the sense the main severe weather day could be trending to the 24th. None of the GEFS have the main trough going through the SE on the 25th anymore, but most have a powerful trough during the afternoon/evening of the 24th, while ECM seems to be heading towards the GFS solution (UKMET similar but slightly slower trough). Could be some pretty favourable parameters in place, but models seem to currently struggle to bring a surface low far north enough for a broad open warm sector. We will see how things progress.
Latest euro run is a winter event for the upper south …

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Big snow for the south. Only thing is temps are at or around the mid to lower 30s. Reminds me of a system we had somewhere in the past 10 years where the heavy snow overcame the warmer surface temps... I wish my pictures would upload. :(

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Big snow for the south. Only thing is temps are at or around the mid to lower 30s. Reminds me of a system we had somewhere in the past 10 years where the heavy snow overcame the warmer surface temps... I wish my pictures would upload. :(
Yeah good rates can over come marginal temps for sure

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Hey can the thread be changed to snow/severe it's a bit more evident now that we may be looking a pretty good chance for snow as well. I think models may be picking up on more of a snow look now instead of the severe. Or atleast change it when there's a few more model runs.

KevinH

Reaction score
Hey can the thread be changed to snow/severe it's a bit more evident now that we may be looking a pretty good chance for snow as well. I think models may be picking up on more of a snow look now instead of the severe. Or atleast change it when there's a few more model runs.
You are REALLY pushing for that snow aren’t you? ROFL!

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
You are REALLY pushing for that snow aren’t you? ROFL!
Well the new 12z nam is pushing the narrative of further digging troughs. Doesn't even look like severe weather will be a issue with the threat on the 22nd or around that with how things are going now. Honestly it looks like the euros solution of a snow threat is more palpable than the GFS severe solution..

Back