• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - Jan 2nd - Jan 4th, 2023

keithGA

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Semi-related question. Does anyone have a link to a resource on how to read the different fields in an ASOS report?

OHWX97

Reaction score
Several tornado warnings ongoing in the Florida panhandle and extreme southeast Alabama into SW Georgia. Looking at CC, there may have been a brief touchdown west of Jakin, GA.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One of these is not like the other, lol. View attachment 16496

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Know someone who had the same issued. Allison House has a bug. If you have RS pro, go to settings and change premium product to RS Pro
Screenshot_20230103_234620_RadarScope.jpg

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Surprised nobody mentioned what seems like was a reasonably strong tornado in Montgomery last night. Seeing cars flipped and roofs ripped off homes.

I'm curious to see the rating of that tornado. I work in Montgomery (not in that area) and live just north of Montgomery, so I'm pretty familiar with that area. It appears that was a brief, unwarned tornado (a tornado warning was later issued for that storm after it moved just east of Montgomery). I wish I was paying more attention to the radar at the time, but I was looking closer to my house as we were dealing with the squall line at that time. A co-worker mentioned that he saw a brief TDS on CC at the time, but didn't see much on velocity.

atrainguy

Reaction score
Not sure if I should post here or in the Severe Weather thread since it's the 4th. Apparently there's a "observed" tornado warning in far southeast Georgia currently.

Looks like there's been a lot of tornado warnings this morning in GA, FL, and SC, including two other "observed" warnings in South Carolina a few hours ago.

Reaction score
So here's where we're at with the survey results from this event:

The Jonesboro, LA and Deatsville/Coosa River, AL tornadoes were noted as they were in progress and displaying some of the most obvious/impressive velocity/CC signatures of the event, but how the heck did I miss the 43-mile, nearly hour-lasting Arkansas EF2 on Monday evening?

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Brief tornado confirmed in southeast Dekalb County, GA. I saw a bit of rotation and warned my mom who lives in north Rockdale. Right about where this damage is, is where the storm was when I warned her. No damage her way though, it fizzled as it crossed the county line.

Back