• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - February 15-16, 2023

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I am not sure why this storm isn't at least a Severe Thunderstorm warning.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 2.51.14 PM.png

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cloudy and rainy here in Hoover. Is it possible that central AL might be worked over before these cells get here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm in Hoover too. We definitely have thunderstorms moving thru & other non severe tstms on the way. Briefly other topic, Orlando is forecast to be nearly 90F/32C Friday! Man I miss Tampa Bay so much .

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I’m trying not to! I trust nothing until the front passes lol
We've really dodged a bullet so far. Got a rain mass stabilizing the air along that typical Alabama tornado corridor. And may work to curb parameters to it's north.

If you would've asked me this morning I would've told you that I thought there would be a lot of tornadic activity along that corridor. Weather is so tricky. I wish to become a better forecaster it's always humbling when your forecast busts makes me hunger that much more to learn and become better.

Tennie

Reaction score
From the looks of it, although we've seen some circulations form, they mostly cannot really get going and put a tornado down (at least so far, anyway). Of course, there's always the possibility of a tornadic "Hail Mary" where a significant tornado ends up forming later on, but we shall see...

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
From the looks of it, although we've seen some circulations form, they mostly cannot really get going and put a tornado down (at least so far, anyway). Of course, there's always the possibility of a tornadic "Hail Mary" where a significant tornado ends up forming later on, but we shall see...
Yeah that's what I'm weary of when the nocturnal jet kicks in and you still have lingering moderate instability. Seen a few times where that nocturnal jet really kicks supercells into motion.

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I absolutely love busts. Nobody gets hurt. It’s fascinating to watch when it’s nowhere near people though.
We've really dodged a bullet so far. Got a rain mass stabilizing the air along that typical Alabama tornado corridor. And may work to curb parameters to its north.

If you would've asked me this morning I would've told you that I thought there would be a lot of tornadic activity along that corridor. Weather is so tricky. I wish to become a better forecaster it's always humbling when your forecast busts makes me hunger that much more to learn and become better.

OhOkayThen

Reaction score

That's always my concern. I remember the last High Risk of 2021, SPC downgraded to an enhanced; basically saying the event was a bust. Then 2 hours later a cell took off and a giant EF4 occured. It just takes one of these rotations to get going.

xJownage

Reaction score
I absolutely love busts. Nobody gets hurt. It’s fascinating to watch when it’s nowhere near people though.
Yeah the chaser in me loves when we get pretty tornadoes in western kansas that we can see & research, and every dixie event busts so nobody gets hurt.

That's why morton was so awesome for me personally. My avatar is my own picture. Nobody got hurt, almost no damage was done, and I got to see something awesome. Everybody wins. Dixie outbreaks suck for everybody.

Back