• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Reaction score
Your question is a little off topic but folks would be happy to discuss in depth on other forums here. Suffice to say, you're stepping in the answer to your own question. Not only the radars need updating for the network / hardware / processing systems as a whole would need updating. OU has been testing the latest and greatest radar technology for decades but it seems that its only pocket change to the government so they can say "we're trying" "maybe you'll get full funding next year". One radar at OU does not an integrated network make. Just like everything else, substantive change only comes with substantive investment.
Whatever came of that navy surplus phased array radar?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Have seen lots and lots of EF2 and EF3 damage from last night, but nothing worse than that so far. I do want to see what they find east of Claremore and in rural areas near Pryor. That radar signature was really scary looking.

Tanner

Reaction score
With how many tornadoes occurred last night in that parameter space, I’m pleasantly surprised to see no obviously violent damage (I may eat crow soon) but with how deadly it was anyways last night, clearly it didn’t matter.
I'm sure that there is lots of damage we have yet to see. But I'm also pleasantly surprised. Valley View Texas looks like a slam dunk EF3 from what I've seen.

Reaction score
I'm waiting for more close up pictures of that one home near Celina...could potentially be high end ef3 depending on if that home was very well built. It is big and flattened.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I'm sure that there is lots of damage we have yet to see. But I'm also pleasantly surprised. Valley View Texas looks like a slam dunk EF3 from what I've seen.
I guess that’s a good thing, although the fact this is the deadliest tornado outbreak of the year even though none of the tornadoes were violent doesn’t exactly feel like good news.

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
View attachment 28039
Got expanded southwest
I'm sorry this got lost in the thread, but to bring this back up, TOR threat did get moved to a more SW location with an overall expansion of the enhanced to the SW.

Interesting to see how this pans out in my area tonight.

Kds86z

Reaction score
Really unfortunate. Stronger storms have killed less, but since it was nocturnal with a magnet for mobile homes, it doesn't shock me to see 7 dead in Texas.
Yep. Sad. Usually we have a lot of fatalities in the south from that. This year they got a break, which they deserve after last year.

Back