• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Reaction score
Highly predictable and face palm inducing.
View attachment 27580

OK, I'll stop posting tweets after this, but I laughed by rear end off so hard at this one I had to share it too :p
View attachment 27589

There's a clear difference between reasoned, evidence-based (even if a bit impassioned at times) arguments that certain violent tornadoes are likely underrated and that EF5 has become too difficult to attain (as done by *most* posters on this forum) and pure ****posting like this. The problem is, it all gets lumped together as "weather weenies" and dismissed.

Reaction score
There's a clear difference between reasoned, evidence-based (even if a bit impassioned at times) arguments that certain violent tornadoes are likely underrated and that EF5 has become too difficult to attain (as done by *most* posters on this forum) and pure ****posting like this. The problem is, it all gets lumped together as "weather weenies" and dismissed.
I know what you mean but after NWS Lubbock pulling that 165 mph EF3 bs in regards to the Matador tornado, I will never forgive them for that. Yes, I did blow up at them. Maybe I shouldn't have but it was hard not to.

vanni9283

Reaction score
If you ask me, I think the estimated wind speeds on the current EF-scale are too low, especially in the higher categories.

slenker

Reaction score
While I don’t blame the NWS offices for not going higher on a lot of ratings due to construction issues, I feel like that should incentivize them to look into contextuals even more-so than they already do. Matador is a prime example of this, but there’s a lot more than just that tornado when talking about this topic.

I also believe that a the goal posts should have been shifted a while ago; if you make a scale, it should accurately correlate to both tornadic intensity and how dangerous they are in general. The high-end EF4’s of the past decade are more significantly different than the low-end EF4’s and are super close to EF5 in intensity, so I feel like they should just be called that. It feels unattainable to reach unless there’s another Jarrell or Smithville, and those are obviously high-end EF5s.

If you were in the path of a tornado like Newman from 2022, or Didsbury from this past year, I feel like you’d feel a lot better about your survival chances than if you were in the path of Mayfield or Greenfield. Those ones were genuinely EF5 level danger regardless of the rating they received (although I know it’s an intensity scale, so that shouldn’t really be taken into account)

Just my two cents.

Edit: I don’t believe all high-end EF4’s should be called EF5’s - Rolling Fork is a good example of this. I just think examples like Mayfield or Rochelle were just as deadly as Parkersburg or Greensburg, and I feel like it’s pretty obvious to see that.
Also, I know Greensfield hasn’t been finalized yet. It’ll probably be rated appropriately

Reaction score
While I don’t blame the NWS offices for not going higher on a lot of ratings due to construction issues, I feel like that should incentivize them to look into contextuals even more-so than they already do. Matador is a prime example of this, but there’s a lot more than just that tornado when talking about this topic.

I also believe that a the goal posts should have been shifted a while ago; if you make a scale, it should accurately correlate to both tornadic intensity and how dangerous they are in general. The high-end EF4’s of the past decade are more significantly different than the low-end EF4’s and are super close to EF5 in intensity, so I feel like they should just be called that. It feels unattainable to reach unless there’s another Jarrell or Smithville, and those are obviously high-end EF5s.

If you were in the path of a tornado like Newman from 2022, or Didsbury from this past year, I feel like you’d feel a lot better about your survival chances than if you were in the path of Mayfield or Greenfield. Those ones were genuinely EF5 level danger regardless of the rating they received (although I know it’s an intensity scale, so that shouldn’t really be taken into account)

Just my two cents.

Edit: I don’t believe all high-end EF4’s should be called EF5’s - Rolling Fork is a good example of this. I just think examples like Mayfield or Rochelle were just as deadly as Parkersburg or Greensburg, and I feel like it’s pretty obvious to see that.
Also, I know Greensfield hasn’t been finalized yet. It’ll probably be rated appropriately
What do you think about the Vilonia 2014, Chapman 2016, and Bassfield 2020 tornadoes?

Reaction score
...Yeah that's an EF5. I'm not gonna hide my thoughts.
Wouldn’t an EF5 have produced more extensive scouring around the foundations? On those farms I see little, if any, pronounced scouring of lawns (or total debarking).

To be honest I think even a high-end EF4 would have produced more scouring/debarking on those farms (especially cropland) than I see in those images.

Last edited:

slenker

Reaction score
Wouldn’t an EF5 have produced more extensive scouring around the foundations? On those farms I see little, if any, pronounced scouring of lawns (or total debarking).
It would have definitely been more supportive of an EF5 rating for those contextuals to be there, but if they do genuinely find EF5 home damage, then I am willing to blame the extreme forward speed and narrow nature of the tornado on the lack of debarking. Again, Niles-Wheatland in 1985 did some pretty insane home damage without producing extreme ground scouring and tree damage, iirc, and it was very similar speed/structure wise to Greenfield.

Maybe there’s something about the vortex dynamics that affects how trees are damaged versus how houses are.

buckeye05

Reaction score
It would have definitely been more supportive of an EF5 rating for those contextuals to be there, but if they do genuinely find EF5 home damage, then I am willing to blame the extreme forward speed and narrow nature of the tornado on the lack of debarking. Again, Niles-Wheatland in 1985 did some pretty insane home damage without producing extreme ground scouring and tree damage, iirc, and it was very similar speed/structure wise to Greenfield.

Maybe there’s something about the vortex dynamics that affects how trees are damaged versus how houses are.
Niles-Wheatland did indeed produce severe scouring and debarking. Max’s research and writeup on Extreme Planet simply didn’t go into enough depth, so he assumed that extreme contextual damage didn’t happen, and I think that’s how that rumor started. However, Shawn’s extreme in-depth research of that tornado for his writeup turned up evidence of significant scouring and debarking, including a photo he dug up where you can see a swath of lawn grass scoured to bare soil right by a destroyed house.

In any case, I’m fine with Greenfield’s current intensity estimate.

Tanner

Reaction score
So it looks like so far the Greenfield Iowa tornado has only EF4 170 indicators on the DAT. I really hope this isn't the final windspeed rating...

Back