• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Maxis_s

Reaction score
So it looks like so far the Greenfield Iowa tornado has only EF4 170 indicators on the DAT. I really hope this isn't the final windspeed rating...
I checked earlier and it only had one 165mph DI, and a few lower-end EF3 DIs. They're adding them overtime.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
So it looks like so far the Greenfield Iowa tornado has only EF4 170 indicators on the DAT. I really hope this isn't the final windspeed rating...
Eh, I don’t really think it matters too much.

The structures within Greenfield didn’t look particularly sturdy, and the tree damage fits the bill with that wind speed designation.

This damage survey definitely took a lot of time and I’m confident they really did try to find higher DIs, but again, these Great Plain towns rarely have good construction.

Now if the contextuals were obviously high end this would more egregious, but other than that single vehicle that got chassied, I didn’t see any.

So far, I haven’t seen any surveys this year that were bad or underestimated the damage a tornado caused. I’m still a little unsure about the Celina rating but even that is splitting hairs.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Eh, I don’t really think it matters too much.

The structures within Greenfield didn’t look particularly sturdy, and the tree damage fits the bill with that wind speed designation.

This damage survey definitely took a lot of time and I’m confident they really did try to find higher DIs, but again, these Great Plain towns rarely have good construction.

Now if the contextuals were obviously high end this would more egregious, but author than that single vehicle that got chassied, I didn’t see any.
They already did find higher DIs. There are 2 175 mph DIs so far.

slenker

Reaction score
Depending on the quality of construction of the houses at the beginning edge of the damage path in the town (SW 3rd St), those homes could be rated quite impressively. All of them are slabbed and the debris seems to be blown pretty far downwind. There’s also a bit of ground scouring before they were struck in the fields behind the homes.

Edited to fix wrong info

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I know, but that’s still low end ef4 category, I’m talking about them finding high end or even mid end ef4 damage, doesn’t look likely now.
You're being a little bit too absolute when there's quite a few DIs left to be QC'd and added, IMO.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Why don’t you think it’s likely?

Now if the contextuals were obviously high end this would more egregious, but other than that single vehicle that got chassied, I didn’t see any.
Now regardless of what the end rating of this tornado is, I’ll like to reiterate these are my thoughts alone and obviously everyone will have a different opinion.

Reaction score
Now regardless of what the end rating of this tornado is, I’ll like to reiterate these are my thoughts alone and obviously everyone will have a different opinion.
I think the windspeed could have went higher into the EF4 category . A 190 MPH EF4 seemed appropriate because some of the damage in Greenfield, IA matches some of the damage in strength to the Rolling Fork, MS tornado from last year.

Last edited:

jiharris0220

Reaction score
All caps is so weird to me, I don’t know why but I can physically hear someone yelling when I read them, am I tripping or do other people feel the same way?

Logo 468x120
Back