• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Seems like a really reasonable range; mentioned more EF4 damage in rural areas so multiple violent swaths identified. Interesting how close to the end of the path Greenfield is, and it was still violent then; I'd bet it was at EF4+ intensity for quite a ways. I imagine the ridiculous subvortices earlier on had some huge potential for high end damage. Seems like this will be a very good survey

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Seems like a really reasonable range; mentioned more EF4 damage in rural areas so multiple violent swaths identified. Interesting how close to the end of the path Greenfield is, and it was still violent then; I'd bet it was at EF4+ intensity for quite a ways. I imagine the ridiculous subvortices earlier on had some huge potential for high end damage. Seems like this will be a very good survey
Yeah, considering that the update is preliminary and it already shows 175-185, the final survey will likely be very detailed.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
These wind speed ranges seem to be a new thing that the NWS is doing (which I like), so the max wind speed as of now is 185 mph. It’s possible that they slightly bump this up in the final estimate, but I don’t think it will be rated an EF5.
I agree, this is actually a really good thing they’re doing, it’s nice to have a range rather than a pin point specific number.

Gives a lot more fluidity in the overall rating and a greater understanding of the survey process. I hope this style continues indefinitely.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
I agree, this is actually a really good thing they’re doing, it’s nice to have a range rather than a pin point specific number.

Gives a lot more fluidity in the overall rating and a greater understanding of the survey process. I hope this style continues indefinitely.
Me too, I also like how most tornadoes this year seem to have been rated appropriately, so I like these changes from the NWS offices.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Given there seemed to be issues with construction as is commonplace nowadays, you cant really criticize them for not going any higher, even if it the rating might have been different 10 or so years ago. The standard has just become for a lot stricter surveying and as long as the survey is thorough and backed up with logical reasoning and evidence (as this survey looks to be), then that's a perfectly adequate and high quality survey.

Given the radar measurements, and intensity of the damage caused in just a few seconds, its clear this was very likely a tornado with intensity on par with past F/EF5s (even without causing EF5 level damage). In the current constraints of the scale, NWS Des Moines couldn't really have gone with anything much different. At this point I'm just interested to see further survey details to come in, and then hopefully a quick recovery for Greenfield.

Logo 468x120
Back