• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Avon

Reaction score
I wonder what is the criteria for a tornado emergency to be issued? I feel like the nws had plenty of time to issue one for greenfield but for some reason didn't

Reaction score
I wonder what is the criteria for a tornado emergency to be issued? I feel like the nws had plenty of time to issue one for greenfield but for some reason didn't

It seems to be a product that not all offices make use of (or when they do, use it poorly, such as the last-second one for Mayfield), particularly those that have relatively little experience with long-track, violent tornadoes. Of course, with tornadoes of that caliber being as rare as they are, that will include most offices aside from perhaps Norman, Birmingham and maybe Jackson.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Here’s a video that shows a close up view of that red pickup truck and a wide view of Greenfield.

Honestly, I think what I find most impressive about this tornado is not only the sheer devastation through residential areas, but how narrow and well-defined the track is through the town. The damage gradient was insane.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Honestly, I think what I find most impressive about this tornado is not only the sheer devastation through residential areas, but how narrow and well-defined the track is through the town. The damage gradient was insane.
Look at this shed to the bottom left, it’s completely intact while the homes right next to it across the road are completely gone.

You literally could’ve looked out the window of that shed and watched those homes get deleted and you’d be fine
IMG_0311.jpeg

Back