• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2024

Maxis_s

Reaction score
The upper bound for a metal building system is 178 mph. It says in their findings that they have never seen construction like that before. So shouldn't that be EF4? These NWS offices need to start using the upper bounds on the EF-SCALE.
It might just be very unusual construction techniques, neither good nor bad.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
It should be rated EF4. The NWS offices go to great lengths to avoid rating a tornado an EF4 and will likely never again rate a tornado an EF5.
To be fair, I also think it should be rated EF4 based on contextuals. It's just a preliminary EF3 at the moment though, so I'm not really gonna complain about the rating too much until after it's done, if I think it was unfairly rated.

Reaction score
To be fair, I also think it should be rated EF4 based on contextuals. It's just a preliminary EF3 at the moment though, so I'm not really gonna complain about the rating too much until after it's done, if I think it was unfairly rated.
Well these NWS offices have seem to have forgotten what extreme contextual damage is.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The upper bound for a metal building system is 178 mph. It says in their findings that they have never seen construction like that before. So shouldn't that be EF4? These NWS offices need to start using the upper bounds on the EF-SCALE.
They should withhold the final report till they investigate the unfamiliar construction, which it seems they may be doing.

JPWX

Reaction score
Seems like we need to move away from basing damage just on what's hit and use DOW measurements as well. Because if you continue to base the damage on the EF scale and with building codes becoming stronger, then you will hardly ever be able to get EF3+ again. I would also argue that there's been more EF4 and EF5 that have had a lower rating due to not hitting anything even though you had a nearby DOW measuring winds over 200mph. I'm just thinking out loud.

Anyways, just my opinion of the whole EF scale.

Reaction score
Seems like we need to move away from basing damage just on what's hit and use DOW measurements as well. Because if you continue to base the damage on the EF scale and with building codes becoming stronger, then you will hardly ever be able to get EF3+ again. I would also argue that there's been more EF4 and EF5 that have had a lower rating due to not hitting anything even though you had a nearby DOW measuring winds over 200mph. I'm just thinking out loud.

Anyways, just my opinion of the whole EF scale.
EF3'S....Pretty rare.
EF4'S...Critically endangered
EF5'S...Extinct

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I saw the same crap with Mayfield. They delete and ignore whatever suits them which is NOT the part to truth and accuracy.
I think it was supposed to be internal stuff, and then they were gonna release it once the preliminary survey was ready. I wouldn't be so bold to assume they're hiding something about the survey at the moment.

Tennie

Reaction score
For the past several years or so now, meteorologist Mike Smith has been advocating (for example, see this thread on Stormtrack) for a National Disaster Review Board (NDRB) to be established, modeled after the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) but focused on a broader swath of various disaster types. He's apparently not the only one, either, as (as mentioned in the aforementioned thread) a bill was introduced to the House of Representatives a couple years ago also advocating for the creation of such an agency. With the issues that have cropped up with certain recent disasters, and now the recent unwarned tornado fiasco, I'm really hoping that such an agency can be established and made to run in a competent manner!

Reaction score
One thing that may get Whitman a low end EF4 rating is the fact that those two slabbed homes subfloor’s are gone. Whole house’s thrown possibly. That was what got greenfield so many low end EF4 di’s despite the seemingly sub par anchoring on a lot of them.

Back