• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The thing about these warning tags.. the average person will not know about them unless someone in the weather community mentions it since they are at the bottom of the warning text, and people will not read all the warning text just to read the tags.

I was talking to a friend who is a forecaster at the Jackson NWS a while back, and he told me it would take a national change to get these tags moved to the front of the warning text. James Spann has been a huge advocate for trying to change the situation.

If they had issued a tornado warning, you would had more people reacting to it than a hidden "tornado possible" tag inside a severe thunderstorm warning.

Last edited:

Clancy

Reaction score
The thing about these warning tags.. the average person will not know about them unless someone in the weather community mentions it since they are at the bottom of the warning text, and people will not read all the warning text just to read the tags.

I was talking to a friend who is a forecaster at the Jackson NWS a while back, and he told me it would take a national change to get these tags moved to the front of the warning text. James Spann has been a huge advocate for trying to change the situation.

If they had issued a tornado warning, you would had more people reacting to it than a hidden "tornado possible" tag inside a severe thunderstorm warning.
That's the one issue with the augmentation of SVRs with the TOR possible tag; by the time it gets to the "be alert for a possible tornado" part of the message on an audible broadcast, most folks will have tuned out, and obviously the vast majority of folks aren't going to read the warning descriptors at the bottom of an alert. I get it was designed with FAR reduction in mind, and it's a great concept but I'm not sure how serviceable it really is to the public.

TheSuckZone

Reaction score

I absolutely hate where they have decided to display that on the SVR warnings

da1cd0ac-0d7f-4b97-8a64-5b77e79e752b-Thunderstorm_warning.jpg

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you hate that. I mean I can see your point if it was just a regular SVR warning. Overall I really like their warning graphics. I just wish you could find them online instead of just on social.
I like the graphic for a regular SVR warning. I just think a lot of people probably miss the little footnote TOR possible almost hidden in the graphic

JPWX

Reaction score
I like the graphic for a regular SVR warning. I just think a lot of people probably miss the little footnote TOR possible almost hidden in the graphic
Ah gotcha. Yeah. That and the Considerable, PDS, Destructive type wording should be put in the main title. Like Abbreviated underneath the Severe Thunderstorm Warning, etc.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Extremely dangerous situation severe thunderstorm warning (that's was a mouthful lol) currently from Bismarck north Dakota down to almost rapid city South Dakota.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Just FYI I've heard there are some behind-the-scenes things going on at an administrative level to address this LBF issue. I won't divulge what those are, but there are wheels turning.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back