• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2022

The severe weather season for year 2022 will be?

• Above Average

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
How did I miss that? God I hate how much my mind is slipping so bad and I'm only 63 :( Gonna leave it for others to enjoy- Mods will move it if they think it's necessary.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There’s unusual consistency and ensemble support for a system in the 10-14 day period around New Year’s Eve/Day that could bring a severe weather threat.

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
Does anyone have any famous last words for 2022? lol I don’t think anything significant will happen through the end of 2022 (unless I completely missed something????)

Reaction score
Jackson, Miss. throws out tornado warnings like I throw out ant killer and stale bread. Amazing how many tornado warnings turn into thunderstorm warnings when they hit the Alabama state line.
Mississippi also has the most mobile homes per capita of any state, so issuing warnings is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mississippi also has the most mobile homes per capita of any state, so issuing warnings is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.
Not sure where you got your data, but historically SC has had more manufactured homes per capita than any other state. Howsever it seems New Mexico now leads that race. Right-hand column has data from 2018 which is the newest I could find via google. Website: constructioncoverage.com

1672626495999.png

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here in South Carolina we have the same problem, and most non-vehicular windstorm-related deaths are people in mobile/manufactured homes. Many or most of those have no safer place to go on short notice, and with the "Plainfield Syndrome" mandated most people don't believe official warnings until they're personally verified or confirmed by someone they trust, which leaves little time to react.

CLP80

Reaction score
Jackson, Miss. throws out tornado warnings like I throw out ant killer and stale bread. Amazing how many tornado warnings turn into thunderstorm warnings when they hit the Alabama state line.
I thought I had heard the reasoning for that is due to the lack of low level radar coverage in that region. The coverage is so poor that they have to be cautious anytime there’s a cell they think might even be remotely capable.

Reaction score
I thought I had heard the reasoning for that is due to the lack of low level radar coverage in that region. The coverage is so poor that they have to be cautious anytime there’s a cell they think might even be remotely capable.

Sometimes DGX doesn't even have a good shot of storms that are relatively close to it. I recall reading this is due to a water tower in Brandon, MS.

Gail

Reaction score
In Mississippi’s defense, we had broken the record on most recorded tornadoes in a year for our state by December 15th and had more after that in our state. I’m not sure what the final numbers ended up being.

As someone in JAN’s coverage area, I’d rather them be overly cautious than like some other offices that don’t warn on noticeable tornadoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back