• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2022

The severe weather season for year 2022 will be?

• Above Average

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
There's been a strong signal in the Euro weeklies, Euro ensembles, GFS ensembles, and Canadian ensembles for the first few days of April since early last week. The TNI is spiking high-end positive right now, and this coming period is right after a smaller MJO wave (aside from the big standing wave in the IO) crosses past North America at the end of the month. Y'all strap in...
I was hoping it was a passing wiggle in the GFS when I saw it earlier. I hope this is not a harbinger of the rest of the spring.

keithGA

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Random question...at what minimum radar beam height do you consider an area to be in a "radar hole"?

Clancy

Reaction score
CIPS has this at the end of their D1-8 probs. Also included the longer-range extended guidance through 168 and 240 hours, which shows a pretty active-looking period.
(This is valid for 00Z April 1)
download.png

Attachments

• PRALLC01_gefsF168.png
    PRALLC01_gefsF168.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PRALLC01_gefsF240.png
    PRALLC01_gefsF240.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There is an apparent threat for next Tuesday-Thursday with a fair amount of similarities to the upper and low level wind fields and vorticity like the system we just had Monday-Wednesday; however this threat is still without the severity and consistency of the parameter set that was modeled for the recent event. Let's see if we can trend stronger with the shear and moisture return.

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
And then MS/TN/AL/maybe GA Wednesday sunset into Thursday morning.
Including the last severe weather event and what you've been looking at and future models do you think we're starting to see a possible pattern this season of multiple days connected in the upcoming severe weather events?

Last edited:

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Brad Travis has brought up next Wednesday a couple times now for the Huntsville/North Alabama area. I feel like these systems tend to slow down closer to the event. I’d rather have a mid morning event than an overnight threat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Areas in for Days 5/6. Day 5 could be the first substantial Plains chase day of the year, followed by this rather ominous tidbit for Day 6 (the infamous Wednesday):

Guidance currently suggests the low- and mid-level winds will
strengthen on D6/Wednesday, resulting in very impressive wind
profiles. This strengthening of the flow, coupled with the
negatively tilted character to the shortwave and ample low-level
moisture, suggests the potential for numerous severe storms exists.
As a result, higher severe probabilities may be needed in later
outlooks if the current trends within the guidance persist.

Reaction score
There is an apparent threat for next Tuesday-Thursday with a fair amount of similarities to the upper and low level wind fields and vorticity like the system we just had Monday-Wednesday; however this threat is still without the severity and consistency of the parameter set that was modeled for the recent event. Let's see if we can trend stronger with the shear and moisture return.
The high-amplitude, linear forcing will likely cut down on higher-end tornado (discrete) probabilities. Despite a near-record-breaking -PDO combined with a moderate or stronger -ENSO, most of the systems this winter have not been the kind of broad, low-amplitude troughs that one would normally expect during such a favourable large-scale background (climatic) state. I have alluded to this elsewhere on this forum. One would expect more widespread, frequent, bigger late-winter/early-spring events during a robust -PDO/Niña, at least to date. However, all this could change as we enter springtime.

Reaction score
The high-amplitude, linear forcing will likely cut down on higher-end tornado (discrete) probabilities. Despite a near-record-breaking -PDO combined with a moderate or stronger -ENSO, most of the systems this winter have not been the kind of broad, low-amplitude troughs that one would normally expect during such a favourable large-scale background (climatic) state. I have alluded to this elsewhere on this forum. One would expect more widespread, frequent, bigger late-winter/early-spring events during a robust -PDO/Niña, at least to date. However, all this could change as we enter springtime.

3/5 was. Looked great at 500mb with that subtle little negatively tilted shortwave nosing into the warm sector just ahead of the surface low. I should have known that was enough to make it a chase day despite surface obs of like 62/57.

MichelleH

Reaction score

And Fred gave you his response to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back