• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

pohnpei

Reaction score
Totally bizarre. I guess I now have to consider that apparently this can happen with tornadoes below EF4 strength.
I don't think it's that bizarre. I can find quite a few debarked trees in random place when I just saunter around along random roads.For these pics, It's impossible to know whether tornado do It or not but the question itself was also meaningless. I've seen vehicle had been mangled at obvious low end EF2 level, maybe trees can also be debarked by low end EF2 tornado.It was always the overall contextual damage matters, not one or two debarked trees. I also wouldn't attribute all these damage feature to subvortex. Most of them were not.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I don't think it's that bizarre. I can find quite a few debarked trees in random place when I just saunter around along random roads.For these pics, It's impossible to know whether tornado do It or not but the question itself was also meaningless. I've seen vehicle had been mangled at obvious low end EF2 level, maybe trees can also be debarked by low end EF2 tornado.It was always the overall contextual damage matters, not one or two debarked trees. I also wouldn't attribute all these damage feature to subvortex. Most of them were not.
Based on the thousands of examples of tree damage in context with structure damage that I’ve looked at over the past two decades, I couldn’t disagree more.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Based on the thousands of examples of tree damage in context with structure damage that I’ve looked at over the past two decades, I couldn’t disagree more.
Things like this can happen without a tornado so I said It was not that bizarre. Even in this year, Shengze tornado May 15 in Suzhou had similar damage feature and was debated in another thread.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Things like this can happen without a tornado so I said It was not that bizarre. Even in this year, Shengze tornado May 15 in Suzhou had similar damage feature and was debated in another thread.
In that particular case, somebody on this forum pointed out evidence of insect damage underneath the bark in the photos of those debarked trees in Shengze. I wonder if that is the cause of the other cases?

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Like there was EF5 home damage in Greensburg but the trees nearby were barely even touched.
Was this the larger area of EF5 damage at the south edge of town, or the smaller area of EF5 damage at and around the high school? The debarking in some parts of Greensburg was among some of the most intense I have seen photographed.

Reaction score
Was this the larger area of EF5 damage at the south edge of town, or the smaller area of EF5 damage at and around the high school? The debarking in some parts of Greensburg was among some of the most intense I have seen photographed.
Yeah, there was intense tree debarking but the houses that received an EF5 rating didn't have much tree damage if any nearby.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Please go easy on him for he is still learning. Also Brice I was not trying to offend you either I was just confused on the comment you made.
I'm not mad but I'm just an amateur. I have been following this stuff for a long time and I still wouldn't give an opinion on the rating of any tornado. I know it's a big deal among the people who have spent their lives devoted to this and I leave it to them to decide because I wouldn't expect them to be as educated on the things I have done with the same passion. I did ponder really trying to learn more about the advanced parts of the meteorological science but I really believe it takes a special kind of mind and personality to be really good with that world.

OHWX97

Reaction score
TOG southwest of Port Arthur, TX.
Port Arthur.png

Also worth noting, the SPC increased the tornado probabilities today. There's now a hatched 10% for extreme SE Texas and a good portion of southern Louisiana.
spccoday1.tornado.latest.png

Last edited:

OHWX97

Reaction score
The same cyclical supercell I mentioned in my previous post has continued to produce damaging tornadoes. Currently, a tornado is down between Pinehurst, TX and Mauriceville, TX; making a beeline for Deweyville, TX and will be crossing into Louisiana from there.
Deweyville.png

OHWX97

Reaction score
Deweyville is about to take a direct hit.

Edit: It may have weakened or hopefully even dissipated over Deweyville. Couplet has broadened out a bit (still impressive) and the CC signature dissipated as it moved into town. Appears to be cycling now.

Last edited:
Back