• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

buckeye05

Reaction score
Looking at aerials of the damage in Chester, IL right now. Not that bad honestly. Trees down, roof damage, and outbuildings destroyed. People on twitter last night were reporting "extreme damage" in Chester, based on pretty much nothing, and with no photos available or any first-hand knowledge of what had happened there specifically :rolleyes:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking at aerials of the damage in Chester, IL right now. Not that bad honestly. Trees down, roof damage, and outbuildings destroyed. People on twitter last night were reporting "extreme damage" in Chester, based on pretty much nothing, and with no photos available or any first-hand knowledge of what had happened there specifically :rolleyes:
Twitter is a cesspool.

KevinH

Reaction score
Looks like we have our first EF5 in 8 years
Only the NWS can make that call. These pictures don’t even look like EF5 damage you can still see trees standing. Concrete slabs are still in place. I would google EF5 tornado damage and compare those pictures with these.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like we have our first EF5 in 8 years
The debarking in the first photo, while impressive, I don't think a tornado has ever been rated EF5 solely based on tree damage. Especially in this case where structural damage seems to have been low end EF3 at most.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The entire Fredericktown portion of the more intense tornado's path has been rated EF3. Unless some violent damage occurred in a rural area before it hit Fredericktown, I see it as unlikely we will get an EF4.

buckeye05

Reaction score
That totally debarked tree makes absolutely no sense given the context. This is the first time I have ever seen debarking of that severity no other evidence of a violent tornado. This has to be some kind of anomaly, likely from the tree being unhealthy or damaged by insects. Anyone else have any input on this? Never seen anything quite like it.

Reaction score
That totally debarked tree makes absolutely no sense given the context. This is the first time I have ever seen debarking of that severity no other evidence of a violent tornado. This has to be some kind of anomaly, likely from the tree being unhealthy or damaged by insects. Anyone else have any input on this? Never seen anything quite like it.
I wonder the same thing as you are saying!. Another thing I also wonder if it was from very tiny but extremely intense multiple vortices.

Reaction score
Only the NWS can make that call. These pictures don’t even look like EF5 damage you can still see trees standing. Concrete slabs are still in place. I would google EF5 tornado damage and compare those pictures with these.
Please go easy on him for he is still learning. Also Brice I was not trying to offend you either I was just confused on the comment you made.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also curious to see Fred Glass leading the damage surveys for this outbreak. He's behind some of the most liberally applied ratings for tornadoes I've ever seen, and I definitely do not agree with some of his calls (South Roxanna, IL in 2013, and segments of the St. Louis, MO tornado path in 2011 for example). Curious to see if he's developed an appropriate level of conservatism since then, and from what I have seen so far, I think he has.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here is something similar from the Port Austin, MI EF2 earlier this year. A completely and totally debarked tree surrounded by otherwise modest damage.
iu

It could have something to do with tree species (maybe some trees are extremely easy to debark compared with others?) but ultimately I have no explanation.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Here is something similar from the Port Austin, MI EF2 earlier this year. A completely and totally debarked tree surrounded by otherwise modest damage.
iu

It could have something to do with tree species (maybe some trees are extremely easy to debark compared with others?) but ultimately I have no explanation.
Totally bizarre. I guess I now have to consider that apparently this can happen with tornadoes below EF4 strength.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, I think we have an answer regarding how liberal/conservative the St. Louis survey team is now. This is a house in Fredericktown, MO that has been assigned an EF2 rating. While clearly poorly-anchored, I just don't like it when leveled frame homes are rated EF2. It doesn't seem right to me unless there is some specific, obvious explanation for going below EF3.

Logo 468x120
Back