• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2021

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what the pressure is in the bomb cyclone off the coast of Washington/Oregon? The wind barbs look like a Cat II or III hurricane
943 mb, at last report.

Per Portland FD, one buoy bottomed out at 942.5 at 1750Z. There apparently are waterspouts paralleling the shore, too, per the discussion. Glad I'm 70 miles inland, behind some mountains!

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
New tornado warning for embedded QLCS circulations in the eastern suburbs of St. Louis.
St. Louis is clear now. At least they were lucky.

There's a tornado image in this story but no info other than photographer credit.

Don't know about farther south.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Fredericktown, MO damage is the worst I’ve seen so far from last night. Multiple homes and other structures leveled and swept away.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fredericktown, MO damage is the worst I’ve seen so far from last night. Multiple homes and other structures leveled and swept away.
I did note the velocity couplet from that tornado was much more impressive than the St. Mary-Bremen tornado. Chester, despite the impressive debris ball and tornado emergency I am mostly seeing reports of downed trees, power lines and roof damage in that area.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Fredericktown photos are easy to find on Twitter.

Damage in St. Mary is still pretty severe though. Homes and an antique mall with roofs torn off, and some exterior wall loss. Vehicles tossed and outbuildings destroyed. Looks EF2-ish to me.

Haven’t seen much from Chester though yet.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The way the St. Mary tornado cut a slice through the antique mall almost resembles the Walmart after the Colonial Heights, VA tornado in 1993. Definitely not as violent as that tornado, but goes to show how narrow the intense core was.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Yeah, those aerial shots from the Fredericktown area look really bad. Clearly a very strong tornado there.

Here's video of the large tornado in Linn County, MO yesterday.

And one near St. Mary. Tornado is illuminated at 0:06 and 0:14.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Even the house in the picture of the tweet announcing the (preliminary) EF2 rating looks like it should have been rated in the EF3 range. Maybe poor construction or that is just their "first glance" survey without doing any detailed structural inspections and whatnot.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Even the house in the picture of the tweet announcing the (preliminary) EF2 rating looks like it should have been rated in the EF3 range. Maybe poor construction or that is just their "first glance" survey without doing any detailed structural inspections and whatnot.
I'm pretty sure it's just a starting point before more thorough and detailed surveys begin.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm pretty sure it's just a starting point before more thorough and detailed surveys begin.
I hate playing guessing games with what a tornado will ultimately be rated, but a rating in the EF3 range seems likely and low end EF4 is probably on the table as well.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
On another note, getting some rain and fog in SoCal from the atmospheric river-bomb cyclone hybrid. Could get up to 2 inches of rain here and are supposed to get some gusty winds as well later today.

Back