• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

andyhb

Reaction score
seas5_qpfa_3mon_conus_AMJ.png

Not exactly a favorable look for spring severe wx.

andyhb

Reaction score
So, did models do a complete about-face or what?

All that ominous talk of the upcoming severe weather season... just weeks or even days ago.
For early season (which is still on the table), not peak severe season.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We're definitely looking at more of a delay than expected. There's still a long way to go though.
yean, and i am not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing if that makes any sense.... because i think all hell breaks loose when it does get going... remember, 2011 also started out very slowly.

Reaction score
And what’s that go to do with it lol? All these forecasters at SPC are knowledge enough ... they all do good job

What about Broyles?

He has a pretty well-known bullish bias for severe and especially tornado potential...you always have to take his outlooks with an extra grain of salt.

Now he *IS* the professional and in fairness, I haven't really looked into this period on the models. It just seems to me that SPC forecasters in general and he in particular are less conservative/more willing to risk busting by "overhyping" a potential event than they were say 10-15 years ago.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Dewpoints struggling a little with the storm on the 15th for North Alabama but the storm showing on the 19th would have mid 60s dewpoints up into the Ohio Valley. I'm not very good at reading wind to know if there is good shear or what not. Still a week away so a lot can change obviously.

KevinH

Reaction score
Dewpoints struggling a little with the storm on the 15th for North Alabama but the storm showing on the 19th would have mid 60s dewpoints up into the Ohio Valley. I'm not very good at reading wind to know if there is good shear or what not. Still a week away so a lot can change obviously.
Sooo (potentially) the 15th *AND* the 19th for Dixie?

Spring has arrived. smh

andyhb

Reaction score
He has a pretty well-known bullish bias for severe and especially tornado potential...you always have to take his outlooks with an extra grain of salt.

Now he *IS* the professional and in fairness, I haven't really looked into this period on the models. It just seems to me that SPC forecasters in general and he in particular are less conservative/more willing to risk busting by "overhyping" a potential event than they were say 10-15 years ago.
Ehhhh, disagree there, especially with the addition of the Marginal/Enhanced risks.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ehhhh, disagree there, especially with the addition of the Marginal/Enhanced risks.
Yeah, with the exception of the 45% area on 5/20/19 (which is a case of hindsight being 20/20), they've been cautious if anything over the last few years and have avoided pulling the trigger on days like 4/12/20 that could've easily verified a high risk.

There were the busted high risks in 2017 that drew some criticism, but aside from that year, there's only been one (!) high risk since 2014. There were multiple high risks every year from 2001 to 2014, so the idea that they've become more aggressive recently doesn't hold up; if anything the opposite is true.

Back