• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2021

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Nothing immediately stands out in the next 7-10 days as significant trouble, but I'm not sure we get through the month without another significant severe weather event of some type.
I think we have to keep an eye out for the last week of the month. Not only are we seeing more troughs coming from the southwest with some phasing and broaden, but also there may not be much cooling of GOM waters to keep high td's not far offshore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I think we have to keep an eye out for the last week of the month. Not only are we seeing more troughs coming from the southwest with some phasing and broaden, but also there may not be much cooling of GOM waters to keep high td's not far offshore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Getting increasingly suspicious of that Christmas week period that you are watching. GFS ensembles, Euro ensembles, and CFS weeklies paint a large scale picture with some significant similarities to the pattern we just had, except for the big difference that the ridge is shifted southeastward into the northwest Caribbean and Bahamas. And as such, the latest GEFS mean takes a signal for a surface low near Christmas along a track from central Oklahoma through north central Arkansas toward eastern Kentucky. This period also matches the timing near the end of a big MJO velocity couplet in the Pacific, which Matt Grantham has found has often been associated with significant severe weather episodes in the CONUS.

KevinH

Reaction score
I was just in my bathroom and looked at my tub, think about how it is my tornado shelter. I would wrap myself in blankets, pillows, cushions, etc. Then I remembered that I have heard so many people talk about helmets.

As far as I know, most tornado related deaths come from head injuries and I do not see a whole lot of talk about helmets. What are some good adult size, quality helmets that would provide excellent, top notch head protection? I would much rather have it and not ever need it then to not have one and regret it. TIA

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I was just in my bathroom and looked at my tub, think about how it is my tornado shelter. I would wrap myself in blankets, pillows, cushions, etc. Then I remembered that I have heard so many people talk about helmets.

As far as I know, most tornado related deaths come from head injuries and I do not see a whole lot of talk about helmets. What are some good adult size, quality helmets that would provide excellent, top notch head protection? I would much rather have it and not ever need it then to not have one and regret it. TIA
Safety-rated bicycle helmets, motorcycle helmets, sports helmets, hard-hats, etc., will all help. Even a metal cooking pot in a pinch will help. Even a $5 Walmart bicycle helmet will help. It doesn't have to be some $500 something. Do try to provide something that covers as much of your overall head and neck as possible. While a top-of-head bicycle helmet truly will help, things with face shields/guards and things that have some neck protection added obviously add even more protection.

In addition, closed-toe hard-soled shoes are important in case your home is struck and you have to walk across a tornado debris field for help. Having a whistle or an air horn in case you are trapped in debris is also important, and it being an air horn so that you can squeeze it if you are injured, instead of forcing your lungs to work extra to blow a whistle, is important so that first responders can hear that and find you.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
On Wednesday of this week, a very potent upper level disturbance and depending surface low (985-975mb) across the upper central region into Canada encourages an adequately important severe weather episode for southeastern SD, eastern NE, IA, southern MN, and into WI.

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
Safety-rated bicycle helmets, motorcycle helmets, sports helmets, hard-hats, etc., will all help. Even a metal cooking pot in a pinch will help. Even a $5 Walmart bicycle helmet will help. It doesn't have to be some $500 something. Do try to provide something that covers as much of your overall head and neck as possible. While a top-of-head bicycle helmet truly will help, things with face shields/guards and things that have some neck protection added obviously add even more protection.

In addition, closed-toe hard-soled shoes are important in case your home is struck and you have to walk across a tornado debris field for help. Having a whistle or an air horn in case you are trapped in debris is also important, and it being an air horn so that you can squeeze it if you are injured, instead of forcing your lungs to work extra to blow a whistle, is important so that first responders can hear that and find you.
Thanks Fred! Time to start shopping around!

Reaction score
On Wednesday of this week, a very potent upper level disturbance and depending surface low (985-975mb) across the upper central region into Canada encourages an adequately important severe weather episode for southeastern SD, eastern NE, IA, southern MN, and into WI.

Broyles not impressed for Day 3, and he's historically been their most bullish forecaster. SPC seems to be losing their nerve for hitting cool season events hard, which isn't good because recently they seem to be the ones that are producing high-impact outcomes more so than the high-hype, long lead time spring setups.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Broyles not impressed for Day 3, and he's historically been their most bullish forecaster. SPC seems to be losing their nerve for hitting cool season events hard, which isn't good because recently they seem to be the ones that are producing high-impact outcomes more so than the high-hype, long lead time spring setups.
I think this has to do with the way the models handle cool-season events these days. It seems like most of them (the NAM being an obvious example) have a bias toward underestimating surface temperature and dew point, which is going to cause problems in the cool season when thermodynamics are almost always your limiting factor. We saw this illustrated quite starkly on Friday; the 3k NAM had progged a high of 71 in Memphis, but at 9 pm on Friday, it was 78 in Memphis. Fred and others have pointed out other issues with nocturnal cool season events in particular, such as prematurely decoupling the boundary layer after dark.

The low CAPE/high shear events have consistently overperformed the last few years, to the point where forecasters ought to be recognizing it as signal rather than noise, regardless of the models' tendencies.

Kory

Reaction score
I think this has to do with the way the models handle cool-season events these days. It seems like most of them (the NAM being an obvious example) have a bias toward underestimating surface temperature and dew point, which is going to cause problems in the cool season when thermodynamics are almost always your limiting factor. We saw this illustrated quite starkly on Friday; the 3k NAM had progged a high of 71 in Memphis, but at 9 pm on Friday, it was 78 in Memphis. Fred and others have pointed out other issues with nocturnal cool season events in particular, such as prematurely decoupling the boundary layer after dark.

The low CAPE/high shear events have consistently overperformed the last few years, to the point where forecasters ought to be recognizing it as signal rather than noise, regardless of the models' tendencies.
Not sure I’d classify Friday as a low CAPE event.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not sure I’d classify Friday as a low CAPE event.
No, definitely not. I just meant as a general trend. Sorry, I should've been more clear there. Friday wasn't a case where under-forecast thermodynamics were the difference between an event and a non-event, but instead the difference between a "normal" cool season event and a high-end one.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

He says instability is very weak and that’s the primary reason that no severe weather can be expected.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
6z GFS and 00z Euro 500mb during the week of Christmas. That looks very suspicious.
Please ask whoever is in charge of this to just stop. That would make my part of the country a hot spot and they think tornadoes don't happen here despite Jarrel.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Someone needs to take this and pin it where anyone who comes to this site can read it. It really breaks this down for people to understand how they can help to be safer when they don't have many options. I told my wife about this and she now thinks we need to put a sealable bow with these items in our safe spot so we are ready.

Back