• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive Severe Weather 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
What is the "COD" in this context?

Why are those particular MJO phases more favorable for severe weather in the CONUS?

Early April always seems to be tricky, anyway. You can get the occasional biggies (much like March and Beauregard), but you're just as likely if not more to see issues with moisture return (cold fronts too close together), meridional flow, etc. Look at 2017 - all those high risks and nothing anywhere near that significant. The first part of mid-April is only now getting into fantasy range of the GFS.
COD is known as the “circle of death” regarding the MJO strength. It is a weak phase of the MJO where other background forcing takes effect.

Those phases over Africa and Indian Ocean help poleward flux of heat (I believe), due to the enhanced convection associated with the MJO, which then forces changes in the jet stream and teleconnections such as the PNA/AO/etc. those phases tend to have Pac jet extensions into North America and large scale troughing that is centered in the West/Central U.S....a more favorable pattern for severe weather.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
Even fantasy land is looking iffy. April 12th system looked halfway decent on the gfs earlier but FV3 isn’t in agreement at all. May not see much rain in the Tennessee valley over the long term which I’m not complaining about but everything will be yellow in about a week.

Reaction score
GFS has been hinting that things could pick up around the end of the first week/early part of the second week of April. Granted it is the GFS beyond 240 hours, but it's been pretty steady with that look since the period came into range.

akt1985

Reaction score
GFS has been hinting that things could pick up around the end of the first week/early part of the second week of April. Granted it is the GFS beyond 240 hours, but it's been pretty steady with that look since the period came into range.

I assume you are talking about the few thundershowers that are in the forecast over Alabama next Friday? I’m going down to Florida next Friday and I hope I don’t have to dodge severe storms.

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the few thundershowers that are in the forecast over Alabama next Friday? I’m going down to Florida next Friday and I hope I don’t have to dodge severe storms.

Not really. I was talking a little bit beyond that, and more looking for just a general pattern that looks more conducive for severe weather potential somewhere in the central/eastern US, whether it be the Plains, the Midwest or Dixie.

For example today's 12Z GFS run at 300 hours depicts a large area of >1,000 j/kg SBCAPE across much of TX/OK/KS/NE/AR/LA/MS in the warm sector of a 988 MB lee low. Obviously way too early to get excited or try to nail down storm mode or location of greatest threat beyond "somewhere in the central U.S," but if it persists with that general look in that general time frame and the EURO joins in, it's a good bet something is brewing for that time frame.

Far preferable in my mind than seeing both models locked on to the idea of cold air continuing to flow into the eastern U.S. for the foreseeable future, like they were at this time last year.

Last edited:

kivey2969

Reaction score
Looks like we have a slight risk for parts of MS, TN, AL today. Anybody going to start a thread?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hosting a campout and go under a 5% TOR. This happens rather often... but when hosting weekend campouts in AL in March or April I guess it's to be expected ahaha

MichelleH

Reaction score
Hosting a campout and go under a 5% TOR. This happens rather often... but when hosting weekend campouts in AL in March or April I guess it's to be expected ahaha

Interesting...that 5% wasn't there before the 11:25 AM Day 1 update. Seems the tornado threat has increased. Like you said though, it IS March in Alabama. LOL

bwalk

Reaction score
Wow. This confirmed tornado touched down in Colorado yesterday. The temperature was in the 30's & the dew point was also in the 30's!
I mean is this even possible?! I know the SVR dynamics are different West of the Mississippi River (dry lines, etc) but still. It seems close to impossible.

In fact, at 4pm, when the tornado was reported, both, the temp & the dew point were 32 degrees!

1553973836656.png

Source: https://gazette.com/news/funnel-clo...cle_268f0812-5270-11e9-a506-a74ea63fee0c.html

3/29/19/Co temps/dew points: (Denver for reference) https://www.wunderground.com/histor...istory/daily/us/co/denver/KDEN/date/2019-3-29

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SPC saying cloud cover and meager low level moisture is hampering stuff so far, and given the only occasional breaks of sun between the showers here, I'm intrigued to see if there's enough instability to get stuff really going. Would be nice to not have damaging wind or hail as there are 7+ cars parked here in the woods, threatened by both.

Ok and as I say that we suddenly have full sun. Interesting.

MikeAthensAl

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4IPO
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow. This confirmed tornado touched down in Colorado yesterday. The temperature was in the 30's & the dew point was also in the 30's!
I mean is this even possible?! I know the SVR dynamics are different West of the Mississippi River (dry lines, etc) but still. It seems close to impossible.

In fact, at 4pm, when the tornado was reported, both, the temp & the dew point were 32 degrees!

View attachment 1263

Source: https://gazette.com/news/funnel-clo...cle_268f0812-5270-11e9-a506-a74ea63fee0c.html

3/29/19/Co temps/dew points: (Denver for reference) https://www.wunderground.com/histor...istory/daily/us/co/denver/KDEN/date/2019-3-29
The dreaded snownado!

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
618 PM CDT SAT MAR 30 2019

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN ROBERTSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 645 PM CDT.

* AT 617 PM CDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO
WAS LOCATED 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF CROSS PLAINS, OR 10 MILES
NORTHEAST OF SPRINGFIELD, MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
632 PM CDT SAT MAR 30 2019

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NASHVILLE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN MAURY COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...
SOUTHEASTERN WILLIAMSON COUNTY IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE...

* UNTIL 700 PM CDT.

* AT 632 PM CDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO
WAS LOCATED NEAR COLUMBIA, MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE
DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...
SPRING HILL AND THOMPSON'S STATION AROUND 650 PM CDT.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just brief rain and very distant thunder with the line here - the campfire is even still going strong. At least it wasn't a hailstorm.

Huh, there has been tree damage only a few miles away in Eldrige and Nauvoo. There were marginally higher velocity spikes there but never any warnings or significant evidence for severe.

Kory

Reaction score
Just brief rain and very distant thunder with the line here - the campfire is even still going strong. At least it wasn't a hailstorm.

Huh, there has been tree damage only a few miles away in Eldrige and Nauvoo. There were marginally higher velocity spikes there but never any warnings or significant evidence for severe.
It got rough in Tuscaloosa but sub severe.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Judging by lightning output and velocity signatures, looks like I got in a pretty significant lull. Not gonna complain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back