• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Threat - Feb 27-28th, 2024

JPWX

Reaction score
One doesn't simply give up on Tuesday/Wednesday's severe weather threat for the Mid-South because of models and trends.
Just as one simply doesn't walk into Mordor

One Does Not Simply Lord Of The Rings GIF

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
wxTwitter is going to town on the Tuesday setup, but I'm not sold on it. Looking at a lot of soundings from the models looks like moisture could be a problem, and a possible cap could be as well. Might have isolated issues, but I doubt an outbreak of any robustness. *let's see how well this ages...*

JPWX

Reaction score
wxTwitter is going to town on the Tuesday setup, but I'm not sold on it. Looking at a lot of soundings from the models looks like moisture could be a problem, and a possible cap could be as well. Might have isolated issues, but I doubt an outbreak of any robustness. *let's see how well this ages...*
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Like this...... LOL!

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Case in point. 21z is when the current SREF shows the highest potential significant tornado ingredients over a tiny area in Illinois and Indiana. At that time, the probability of convective precipitation is only about 50%. And the soundings favor LP setup, so it might be a case of only a small number of discrete supercells. FWIW, if you look at the SREF's probability of 0.1 in or more of convective precipitation, it's only about 10% across that area. So moisture could definitely be an issue.

1708915349598.png

KevinH

Reaction score
Spc has been of their rocker this year. Don't even issue a d6 or further unless your 100 percent sure. That was a big outlook on day 7 just to go away lol.
When it comes to weather, nothing is ever 100% certain until it happens. Predicting the weather is not as black and white as a lot of people think.

Think of sports brackets hahahahahaha

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
models change as time goes on. it's a d'ed if you, d'ed if you don't situation if you're the spc. i think they handled it as best they could...it's not their fault the twitter hype machines treat model voodoo land as gospel when they're hungry for a good chase.

personally, as someone in the risk area (albeit barely) tomorrow, i'm looking forward to a good thunderstorm for the first time in a minute.

KevinH

Reaction score
models change as time goes on. it's a d'ed if you, d'ed if you don't situation if you're the spc. i think they handled it as best they could...it's not their fault the twitter hype machines treat model voodoo land as gospel when they're hungry for a good chase.
That part.

Clancy

Reaction score
This season has been wacky overall as well. Have heard a few people say it has to do with the Niño; either way there's definitely been something making these setups more difficult to forecast accurately this year.

Back