• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive Severe threat April 26-27, 2011

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
bingcrosbyb
Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

Mayor Walt Maddox now saying Tuscaloosa death toll is at 36 with 400+ injured. Staggering.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Chris3007
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

Code:
Video removed from youtube @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaFwMRRkx6I

From where I working Cullman

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
metwannabe
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Mayor Walt Maddox now saying Tuscaloosa death toll is at 36 with 400+ injured. Staggering.

Such a sad day, just unbelieveable!! Glad to see so many of the TW community are safe but my prayers are going out to all of you, your family and friends that were in the direct path of this monster!

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
xtreme weather
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL 808 AM CDT THU APR 28 2011 ...UPDATED FOR JEFFERSON AND TUSCALOOSA COUNTY SURVEYS... IN REGARDS TO THE JEFFERSON AND TUSCALOOSA COUNTY DAMAGE...SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY WILL BE ARRIVING TODAY TO ASSIST WITH SURVEYS...AND DAMAGE RATINGS WILL BE PROVIDED AFTER A THOROUGH ASSESSMENT IS CONDUCTED. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS TODAY WILL BEGIN THE TASK OF ASSESSING THE DAMAGE FROM A TRAGICALLY HISTORIC DAY OF TORNADIC ACTIVITY AND SEVERE WEATHER ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA. THERE WERE TWO WAVES OF SEVERE WEATHER. THE FIRST MOVED THROUGH DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS ACROSS NORTHERN PORTIONS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA PRODUCING DAMAGING STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES. THE SECOND WAVE INVOLVED NUMEROUS SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS AND PRODUCED LONG LIVED... STRONG TO VIOLENT TORNADOES ACROSS THE NORTHERN TWO-THIRDS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA...WITH WIDESPREAD AND CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS. AT THIS TIME...STORM SURVEYS ARE BEING PLANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES: TEAM ONE: MARION COUNTY...THREE POSSIBLE TRACKS INCLUDING HACKLEBURG. WALKER COUNTY...THREE POSSIBLE TRACKS INCLUDING CORDOVA. TEAM TWO: BIBB COUNTY...TWO POSSIBLE TRACKS INCLUDING EOLINE. SUMTER COUNTY...GIEGER. TEAM THREE: TUSCALOOSA COUNTY...TUSCALOOSA. JEFFERSON COUNTY...PLEASANT GROVE...PRATT CITY. MEDIA INQUIRIES CAN BE DIRECTED TOWARD WARNING COORDINATION METEOROLOGIST JOHN DE BLOCK AT 205-664-3010...OR METEOROLOGIST IN CHARGE JIM STEFKOVICH AT 205-585-8635. A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION TO THE SUCCESS OF OUR SEVERE WEATHER WARNING PROGRAM IS THE RECEIPT OF STORM REPORTS FROM ALL OUR CUSTOMERS AND PARTNERS ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA. IF YOU WITNESSED OR ARE AWARE OF ANY STORM DAMAGE DUE TO HIGH WINDS OR TORNADOES...PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICE...OR CALL OUR STORM REPORTING HOTLINE AT 1-800-856-0758. $$ JD/02

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
David in SW Blount
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

FEMA says 131 confirmed dead in Alabama and will continue to rise.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
NotoriousD
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Unconfirmed 149 dead in Alabama now.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Blizzard1
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Such a sad day, just unbelieveable!! Glad to see so many of the TW community are safe but my prayers are going out to all of you, your family and friends that were in the direct path of this monster!
Yes my prayers go out as well to those who were affected. I just got an email which said my co-worker who I work elbow to elbow with at times lost her house and everything in it in (edit) Pratt City area. Fortunately she and her 7 year old daughter are SAFE praise God! So many stories coming similar to this however and worse. Tragic indeed.

PS. Sorry for the multiple posts, sent on phone and said it didn't deliver

Edited by Blizzard1, 28 April 2011 - 11:13 AM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
xtreme weather
Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

This may be for the whole storm system but just heard 213 confirmed dead....again not sure if this is for AL only or SE region

Cautioned also that toll will continue to climb

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
djbarker
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

I think that was a pretty amazing event in itself. Probably be forgotten now tho...

A good study/dissertation could be done to see how much the infrastructure was weakened by the derecho and how that affected communications and emergency response once the supercell show started. I'd be curious to see what impacts it had.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
djbarker
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

30 of those in DeKalb according to 33/40?!? What happened there? I don't remember hearing of any really violent storms there.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
stranger599
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

This is just preliminary as they have to investigate most of the tornado claims.

110427_rpts.gif.png

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

30 of those in DeKalb according to 33/40?!? What happened there? I don't remember hearing of any really violent storms there.

I know I had a fellow chaser friend who filmed a tornado near DeKalb.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
a5ehren
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

The Tuscaloosa/Bham storm continued on and hit Piedmont. No one really talked about it because it's on the edge of 3 different media markets.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

This is just preliminary as they have to investigate most of the tornado claims.

110427_rpts.gif.png

This figure will still go up too. The Bartow county tornadoes aren't even on there yet. They still won't be individual tornado reports, but we will have many more when the next 3 days are done. We could see upwards of 180-200 reports.

Edited by ZackH, 28 April 2011 - 09:16 AM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
a5ehren
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

A good study/dissertation could be done to see how much the infrastructure was weakened by the derecho and how that affected communications and emergency response once the supercell show started. I'd be curious to see what impacts it had.

I'd say it had to play a significant factor. These kinds of death tolls just aren't supposed to happen anymore.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ProjectVortex1974
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'd say it had to play a significant factor. These kinds of death tolls just aren't supposed to happen anymore.
When it's an F4 or F5 not much you can do to save your life unless you can get underground otherwise you would be killed unless you had time to get in a vehicle and go away at a right angle.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
bingcrosbyb
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

I'll just throw this out there. I'm not sure there is much more that can be done as a strong EF4/EF5 crosses two major population centers. Unless you have an underground basement, your chances of survival are marginal. Strong, site build structures are just gone in many areas. Let's put it this way. If the system takes a 6-7 mile jog to the south, I probably wouldn't be here posting.

Edited by bingcrosbyb, 28 April 2011 - 09:24 AM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
ZackH
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

When it's an F4 or F5 not much you can do to save your life unless you can get underground otherwise you would be killed unless you had time to get in a vehicle and go away at a right angle.

Agreed, with so many possible EF4s yesterday and maybe even one or two EF5s, you're not going to have much luck unless you are completely underground. A lot of people don't seem to realize that this event is also unique because multiple strong tornadoes hit multiple large cities in one day. Parts of Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Huntsville, Chattanooga, and even parts of metro Atlanta were just flattened by strong tornadoes yesterday. I bet the infrastructure issues from earlier in the morning did have some effect, but you're going to have a huge death toll when tornadoes of that strength hit multiple high population areas.

Edited by ZackH, 28 April 2011 - 09:25 AM.

TW Archive

Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
MRStorm
Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

Could anyone provide information for the Crane Hill area of Cullman. Specifically in the area off of 222 at 141 County Road 345. My Mother-In-Law lives in that area and we have not heard from her since yesterday afternoon. She lives directly on the lake. I know communications in this area are bad but any info you could provide would be great. Thanks.

Back