• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

KevinH

Reaction score
I do not think there is any amount of data, information, graphics, stories, facts, etc. that will cause people to take today's threat (or any threat for that matter) as seriously as they need to. The general public probably does not know as much about meteorology as a lot of people of this forum as well as other METs. Being able to communicate information about something as complex and dynamic as the weather to a "layman" population in a way that allows them to understand is a challenge. The general public does not understand that meteorology is NOT the exact (perfect) science they think it is, LOL!

METs can give advice, give forecasts, repeat the steps people can take to prepare, and say and do EVERYTHING to keep people safe from now until pigs fly. You want people to prepare and take svr wx seriously, you want people to know that forecasts and model runs and WW are NOT guarantees, but, the honest truth is, a lot of (if not most) people do not take the weather seriously unless and until it affects them directly, but by then it is TOO LATE. I think a lot of people want to "wait and see" before taking action, which is dangerous especially here in Dixie (yes I am still calling it that).

I often here people say: "Well tornadoes ONLY strike this area once every XX years". My response is, if a tornado strikes (or otherwise impacts your house), somehow, the FREQUENCY then becomes less important. It only takes ONE to change a life.

As far as I know, no deaths were reported with the 3/17 system. I do not think that will be the case today partly because of the things I just mentioned. I will be watching ABC 33/40 on Facebook live today.

To the METs on this forum, thank you for all that you do! I hope you had your Wheaties this morning :oops:

Clancy

Reaction score
I do not think there is any amount of data, information, graphics, stories, facts, etc. that will cause people to take today's threat (or any threat for that matter) as seriously as they need to. The general public probably does not know as much about meteorology as a lot of people of this forum as well as other METs. Being able to communicate information about something as complex and dynamic as the weather to a "layman" population in a way that allows them to understand is a challenge. The general public does not understand that meteorology is NOT the exact (perfect) science they think it is, LOL!

METs can give advice, give forecasts, repeat the steps people can take to prepare, and say and do EVERYTHING to keep people safe from now until pigs fly. You want people to prepare and take svr wx seriously, you want people to know that forecasts and model runs and WW are NOT guarantees, but, the honest truth is, a lot of (if not most) people do not take the weather seriously unless and until it affects them directly, but by then it is TOO LATE. I think a lot of people want to "wait and see" before taking action, which is dangerous especially here in Dixie (yes I am still calling it that).

I often here people say: "Well tornadoes ONLY strike this area once every XX years". My response is, if a tornado strikes (or otherwise impacts your house), somehow, the FREQUENCY then becomes less important. It only takes ONE to change a life.

As far as I know, no deaths were reported with the 3/17 system. I do not think that will be the case today partly because of the things I just mentioned. I will be watching ABC 33/40 on Facebook live today.

To the METs on this forum, thank you for all that you do! I hope you had your Wheaties this morning :oops:
If we can get people to take it seriously at all, it's better than them not even realizing what's going on, though.

Evan

Reaction score
Snapshot valid for 23Z tonight:

Screen_Shot_2020-01-14_at_10.34.57_AM.jpg

keithGA

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Well said. What is frustrating to me is the amount of people going about their daily lives in Dixie that are oblivious to the threat today because they don't watch local news or follow anything weather related on social media. Their crap app on their cell phone probably just says thunderstorms today. These will be the people who say "it came without warning" when a tornado affects them.

Reaction score

I don't think there were even any injuries reported on 3/17, which seems remarkable.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Could someone help me understand this better? Novice at best.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
In the simplest of terms, the clockwise curve indicates a favorable wind profile, and the SRH is an important parameter for levels of shear; 250 0-1km and 350 0-3km would be enough for significant tornadoes but at the moment from the Birmingham radar site we had 870 and 1033 respectively

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
For the benefit of us amateurs, when we are not under the gun, I would love for some of you gurus to give a tutorial on how to read these soundings. I know how to read some of it, but I'm still learning.
If you have the time now, this video breaks down the components of a sounding very well.