• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 17-18 March 2021

Brice

Reaction score
Of particular interest is the boundary-layer moisture that is now
present along the Gulf Coast where lower 70s surface dew points are
observed. This air mass will advance north during the day and
diurnal heating will allow moderate instability to develop along a
corridor from southern LA through central MS into western AL where
SBCAPE should be on the order of 2500 J/kg. While the primary 500mb
speed max will likely maintain convection along the surging Pacific
front over southeast TX, an uncapped, buoyant air mass downstream
over MS/AL should prove favorable for discrete supercell development
ahead of the primary short wave. Forecast soundings across the HIGH
Risk exhibit profiles favorable for strong, long-track tornadoes,

and this is especially true from northeast LA through norther

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the High Risk is expanded farther across north central Alabama in coming outlooks. High resolution guidance continues to trend more ominously for north and central Alabama as early as mid afternoon with the open warm sector stuff. This may extend as far north as far southern middle TN.

sak

Reaction score
I am curious to see how this all plays out across Alabama. The high res models are outputting discrete supercells forming by 2-4pm... but it seems like the worst of the dynamics might still be over in LA/MS at that point. Then when the main dynamics do arrive, we might be looking a more of a linear line coming through overnight.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the High Risk is expanded farther across north central Alabama in coming outlooks. High resolution guidance continues to trend more ominously for north and central Alabama as early as mid afternoon with the open warm sector stuff. This may extend as far north as far southern middle TN.
Is the secondary line looking to be less discrete than on earlier runs? It seems the trend is toward warm-sector development ahead of it.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Started tonight.

1-25am ft hood.jpg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeesh, 5z HRRR definitely explicitly showing nastiness in the warm sector. Definitely see an expansion coming further to the east imo

CSimonds

Reaction score
E
I remember feeling this way last Easter when the dewpoints were in the 40s the night before but we still had forecast severe weather the next day. When the warm front moved thru the airmass changed almost instantly, although maybe the amount of advection required did keep the outbreak from being even worse.
the winds in NE AL switched from the SSE to ENE

Snowyfbaby

Reaction score
For what this is worth and take with a grain of salt but a few hours ago at 10 pm central near Birmingham I flew my drone about a mile out and stayed between 220feet to 400ft and it was not raining by the way very muggy atmosphere but I was not expecting this by the time I flew her home (dji mini 2) she was purely stacked with water I’m shocked it stayed in the air I just wanted to leave that example that only 200-400 feet up our dew point has to be absolutely the highest I’ve ever seen my fly app said it was ok to fly and I was outside a few minutes before I flew and didn’t think anything of it and by the time it landed back home i had to run it inside turn wipe it off quickly and just left the blades on for 20 minutes to try to dry just wanted all you to know how soupy it is right now and this is in Walker county Alabama

Brice

Reaction score
For what this is worth and take with a grain of salt but a few hours ago at 10 pm central near Birmingham I flew my drone about a mile out and stayed between 220feet to 400ft and it was not raining by the way very muggy atmosphere but I was not expecting this by the time I flew her home (dji mini 2) she was purely stacked with water I’m shocked it stayed in the air I just wanted to leave that example that only 200-400 feet up our dew point has to be absolutely the highest I’ve ever seen my fly app said it was ok to fly and I was outside a few minutes before I flew and didn’t think anything of it and by the time it landed back home i had to run it inside turn wipe it off quickly and just left the blades on for 20 minutes to try to dry just wanted all you to know how soupy it is right now and this is in Walker county Alabama
Wow be weather aware

Back