• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Threat 12-15 March 2021

andyhb

Reaction score
Seriously what was “highly localized” or “ephemeral” about a high parameter space ahead of the dryline in the place where it’s supposed to be? Were viewing conditions yesterday great? No. Did the event bust? No. Did the entire thing grow upscale into an MCS? No. Those were semi-discrete supercells with storm interactions, not a line. There was no “bowing”.

Reaction score
Seriously what was “highly localized” or “ephemeral” about a high parameter space ahead of the dryline in the place where it’s supposed to be? Were viewing conditions yesterday great? No. Did the event bust? No. Did the entire thing grow upscale into an MCS? No. Those were semi-discrete supercells with storm interactions, not a line. There was no “bowing”.
You are correct. I mistakenly thought that the semi-discrete, interacting cells were displacing occasional bowing signatures, but that was probably just outflow. Obviously the event did not become an MCS, nor do I think that the SPC “busted.” I think the MDT Risk actually verified quite well. While reading and learning I often get things mixed up at times.

buckeye05

Reaction score
a chaser from Live Storms Media who also works with KAKE says he does not see obvious evidence of a tornado.

Can’t deny ground truth. With that said, that was by far the most convincing “not-actually a tornado” tornado signature I’ve ever seen. NWS Dodge City’s initial blunt, snarky dismissal of concern didn’t exactly come off as professional though.

But I have to admit, running a WFO’s twitter and constantly receiving uninformed “I tHiNk i seen grnD scouring was it a F5” type comments after every event from young armchair weather geeks, would make me cynical too lol.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The supposed debris signature originated a bit south of the highway, so I'd assume if anything touched down it would be toward the wind farms and not right on the highway, so if there were a very brief tornado as befitting the impressive signature it could've still gone undetected. Barring any future confirmation of damage though that's probably case closed, but am baffled that we can get an incredible couplet, debris sig, and brief reflectivity spike on a very low level scan in a warm tongue close enough to the surface to allow a brief tornado, without a tornado actually happening despite the signature. Baffling.

speedbump305

Reaction score
Still no ratings yet for any of the tornadoes. I’m sure we will get the ratings tomorrow. What do y’all think the max ratings of the two major tornadoes will be? in my opinion i think both will be EF3. i know happy texas will probably be EF3 based on images. I don’t know about The other one, but it was clearly defined and probably did produce EF3 damage.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know we're all focused on Wednesday, but today might not be such a great day for everyone either.

Attachments

• 2021031506zHRRRUDHMSAL.JPG
    2021031506zHRRRUDHMSAL.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
had a feeling it would be rated that much. Now idk about the Canyon county one, i am thinking that one will be rated EF3 if it hit something

Was it 2002 that Happy took a direct hit from a strong tornado? I believe it was rated F2 and caused a fatality or two. This one looked like it had the potential to be much worse than that.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If we're going to have posts from today in here, could someone update the date in the title? Or should we do a new thread?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Soooo small but what a structure for a grungy low end marginal day in Dixie

Screenshot_20210315-150113.png

Back