• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 4th-May 6th, 2022 Threat

Tennie

Reaction score
Been looking at the satellite imagery of the MDT area, and one of my main concerns is that the cloud cover might put a damper on things. We'll just have to see what actually ends up happening...

xJownage

Reaction score

Not sure if any of you care about Nadocast, but it's with me on really liking the warm front. I was worried about the lapse rates but it seems like it should be easily overcome. As long as the 21Z OUN comes in uncapped or close to uncapped, I think the WF is a go.

Tennie

Reaction score
The cell near Panhandle, TX, is hooking up. No real sign of a strong mesocyclone, though.

Tennie

Reaction score
So far, things have been rather slow. Storms on the Texas Panhandle are crossing the WF and dying not long after they form; meanwhile, low-level lapse rates and forcing continue to be anemic over much of OK. There are, however, some severe storms forming around Midland and Lubbock, so we'll have to watch those in order to see what they end up doing (at least for now, anyway...).

Tennie

Reaction score
From the looks of it, the warm front has stalled around the Red River valley, and the cap is hanging in there. However, there's still a few hours left or so for things to come together (assuming they'll actually be able to do so at all...).

TornadoFan

Reaction score
Storm near Roaring Springs, TX is already up to 54,000 feet and heading towards a boundary south of Childress.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
From the looks of it, the warm front has stalled around the Red River valley, and the cap is hanging in there. However, there's still a few hours left or so for things to come together (assuming they'll actually be able to do so at all...).
I'm not sure there is much of a cap. Mesoanalysis gridded soundings (those and the hodographs are an awesome new feature) and HRRR 00-01 hr soundings don't show much of a cap at all, and taking the 18z OUN sounding and modifying it for temperatures and dewpoints south of the warm front in southern Oklahoma removes any capping and any frontal inversions that had been in place. I think it's the meager low-level lapse rates you've touched on (which are getting closer to being adequate, they need to be in the 6's) combined with very weak large scale ascent so far... with very little in the way of mid-level height falls, and if anything, shortwave ridging and slight height rises before now. It's beginning to look like things are trying though, but we'll see. Like has been mentioned in the thread already, there are some mechanic similarities to 5/20/19, including these particular potential failure modes.

Back