• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Given that we are getting more nighttime rainwrapped wedges in populated areas than photogenic tornadoes over open country, I think even some chasers can agree it's time we push the storms to the high plains for a while.

Well... that, and the cataclysmic flooding. Am sure they'd like to be rid of that as well.

vanni9283

Reaction score
Given that we are getting more nighttime rainwrapped wedges in populated areas than photogenic tornadoes over open country, I think even some chasers can agree it's time we push the storms to the high plains for a while.

Well... that, and the cataclysmic flooding. Am sure they'd like to be rid of that as well.
Seeing some of those reflectivity scans that were posted earlier, you could tell that this monster was rainwrapped for most of its lifespan.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honestly a violent tornado shrouded ominously in rotating rain curtains is about as scary as it gets imo. Bad situations aaaallllllllll around

vanni9283

Reaction score
Honestly a violent tornado shrouded ominously in rotating rain curtains is about as scary as it gets imo. Bad situations aaaallllllllll around
Takes me back to El Reno 2013! A violent tornado is one thing, but having it wrapped in rain can make it that much more deadly!!!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
10%/sig tor added for Dallas into SE OK based on expected storm mode... hopefully no more big cities hit today

vanni9283

Reaction score
Jim Cantore was just at that Free State Growers agricultural center that I posted a Google Maps link to last night. That's the one that got hit! Everything obliterated and a loaded tractor trailer picked up and lifted several hundred feet and landed on its side.

Liberty4dayz

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The major networks are reporting 12 straight days with at least 8 confirmed tornadoes a day...... crazy numbers....... Possibly historic.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
The major networks are reporting 12 straight days with at least 8 confirmed tornadoes a day...... crazy numbers....... Possibly historic.

Went and did some research. This is based off of Numbers from WIKIPEDIA so take it for what it's worth.

May 15 - 28 1896 Unknown number of Tornadoes but over 484 deaths.

May 5 - 27 1995 351 Tornadoes with 13 fatalities. Harvest, Alabama and Ethridge, Tennessee were both hit with High End F4's

May 21 - 31 2004 389 Tornadoes 7 Fatalities

May 7 - 15 2008 147 Tornadoes 26 Fatalities

May 22 - 31 2008 239 Tornadoes 13 Fatalities

June 3 - 12 2008 192 Tornadoes 7 Fatalities

April 19 - 28 2011 492 Tornadoes 324 Fatalities

Liberty4dayz

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Went and did some research. This is based off of Numbers from WIKIPEDIA so take it for what it's worth.

May 15 - 28 1896 Unknown number of Tornadoes but over 484 deaths.

May 5 - 27 1995 351 Tornadoes with 13 fatalities. Harvest, Alabama and Ethridge, Tennessee were both hit with High End F4's

May 21 - 31 2004 389 Tornadoes 7 Fatalities

May 7 - 15 2008 147 Tornadoes 26 Fatalities

May 22 - 31 2008 239 Tornadoes 13 Fatalities

June 3 - 12 2008 192 Tornadoes 7 Fatalities

April 19 - 28 2011 492 Tornadoes 324 Fatalities
No doubt there have been greater numbers of both deaths and or fatalities in a 12 day stretch.
I think they were implying the avg number per each day being so high..... Maybe..... Lol.... It's the mainstream media.... Who knows?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Many of those dates seem to have at least one day without reported tornadoes somewhere in the sequence, breaking a total streak, but not all of them; so far this streak is without a violent tornado officially but I expect that to rapidly change as Lawrence (and maybe even Ohio) surveys are completed.

Reaction score
The complete destruction to that greenhouse in Linwood looks comparable to the destruction of the Wrangler p!ant in Hackleburg on April 27, 2011. They both however are/were likely constructed differently.

Back