• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Good question @Lake Martin EF4 think you can change it to add Tennessee?
Added, AL, TN, and MS to the title. I do not think I am a fan of putting all of the states behind it. To me anything after the year gets ignored.

treypops

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm curious though as to why they have the Mid-South Moderate Risk so small. I would expand it south and eastward. We'll see. Just my two cents.
There's going to be some messy convection out in front of this. That could be why they've restricted the moderate area somewhat.

Reaction score
Added, AL, TN, and MS to the title. I do not think I am a fan of putting all of the states behind it. To me anything after the year gets ignored.
I agree it gets ignored and it clogs up the title. It’s too busy. Open the thread and within a few post you’ll see where the threat area lies

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I agree it gets ignored and it clogs up the title. It’s too busy. Open the thread and within a few post you’ll see where the threat area lies
To avoid this taking up this thread, I am going to talk with the moderators and admins and we will make a decision on what to do there.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
What parts were unimpressive about it?

I just looked at UH again and a few of the models now consistently show a streak that traverses across Illinois and into Indiana.

That streak into southwestern KY is showing up again too.
The updrafts swaths are not as impressive has say the WRF. The hrrr will gradually uptick though as we get closer. It's usual pattern

To me the WRF is the most reliable at this range.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Yeah we’ve kind of went back and forth on a love/hate with HRRR this severe season lol.
The RAP and WRF are my go to's at this range. Which the RAP indicates a impressive non contaminated environment with a very high Energy Helicity index and the WRF shows there being potentially many strong supercells with a accompanying tornado threat lines up across the mid south into portions of the the deep south.

ColdFront

Reaction score
NAM 3Km really likes the northern moderate spot but displays everything congealing into a line pretty quickly.

I really think on the 12z run it’s under forecasting the southern threat area. It’s mainly just showing a line developing in far eastern Arkansas before moving into Tennessee. A bit different and not as bad as yesterdays run

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
Nadocast throwing out a lot of color tomorrow

FseltdXakAIJzfr

ColdFront

Reaction score
Nadocast throwing out a lot of color tomorrow

FseltdXakAIJzfr
I know Arkansas is 10% which is high, but I don’t understand why it’s not higher or on par with the northern risk area.

I think any cells that fire down there will be able to remain discrete for a longer period of time than any up north, with the deeper shear vectors favoring a more discrete mode at first, and with access to some really good parameters. However, that’s only my opinion.

Back