• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

Reaction score
Uhhhhhhh...

Sounding near Preston, IA in the inflow region of a simulated supercell that's raging toward the MS River at this FH.

Nice thing about this setup is that it's actually trending a little further east, so I won't have to try and haul butt to I-35 or points west immediately after getting off work, with storms firing right as I get into the target area with little time to stop and plan.

Challenging thing is these things are going to be racing across the river valley. This is the part of east-central Iowa that sticks out into IL/WI where the river takes a jog to the east, but there's not a whole lot of real estate to work with especially with storms moving 50+ MPH. This part of Iowa is rather hilly but not terrible except right at the river, and much more open in terms of (lack of) tree coverage than most of Wisconsin.

Attachments

• hrrr_2023033012_034_42.06--90.28.png
    hrrr_2023033012_034_42.06--90.28.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 0

KevinH

Reaction score
Added, AL, TN, and MS to the title. I do not think I am a fan of putting all of the states behind it. To me anything after the year gets ignored.
Well I started adding states for a thread (or two) I started earlier this year, BUT when too many states started to be included in the risk areas leading up to the event, I just changed the title. Lol

I like to include the locations in the most concise way possible. That way, as people are looking through the General Weather Disc forum, they can see which threads pertain to them.

KevinH

Reaction score
Y'all could go with a broad area delineation perhaps, for example "Midwest/Southeast."
That is what I have done IF the risk areas involve several states.

If the risk area is only 2-3 states then I will just use “….MS/AL/GA” in the title.

There is SOME value in having the locations in the title. When people are quickly looking for information, they won’t have to go into each thread with only dates in the title to see where the threat area is. Just my two cents :)

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That is what I have done IF the risk areas involve several states.

If the risk area is only 2-3 states then I will just use “….MS/AL/GA” in the title.

There is SOME value in having the locations in the title. When people are quickly looking for information, they won’t have to go into each thread with only dates in the title to see where the threat area is. Just my two cents :)
In theory Southwest KY is in a MDT Risk with all of Western Kentucky in a Enhanced, but not labeled in the Title. Thus when I show this thread to people in Kentucky they say were not labeled in the severe threat.
Hate to be Debbie Downer lol

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Memphis AFD:
A severe weather outbreak looks imminent across the Mid-South tomorrow. All hazards are possible including: damaging winds, large hail, and tornadoes, of which a few could be strong and
long-tracked.

KevinH

Reaction score
In theory Southwest KY is in a MDT Risk with all of Western Kentucky in a Enhanced, but not labeled in the Title. Thus when I show this thread to people in Kentucky they say were not labeled in the severe threat.
Hate to be Debbie Downer lol
I think I decided to included states that were under an ENH+ risk in the title.

If you included states under the SLIGHT risk, you would likely end up with a lot more states, and instead needing to use the region of the country (which is sometimes more practical).

We already have long tracked tornadoes, we don’t need long tracked thread titles too :D :D :D

Reaction score
SVRSIGTORnam212F057.png

I can picture the mod risk bubbles being in close alignment with these 2 areas.
Post from yesterday. Is SPC lurking on our board?

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think I decided to included states that were under an ENH+ risk in the title.

If you included states under the SLIGHT risk, you would likely end up with a lot more states, and instead needing to use the region of the country (which is sometimes more practical).

We already have long tracked tornadoes, we don’t need long tracked thread titles too :D :D :D
I completely understand! But portions of SW KY are in MDT risk while small. But appreciate everything you all do on this forum.

Logo 468x120
Back