• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 3-4, 2020 Severe Weather (Central Tennessee)

MichelleH

Reaction score
My Radarscope is showing the TVS icon with a storm in Tuscaloosa County. These storms in Central Alabama that popped up in the last hour, do they bear watching or just garden variety storms?

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My Radarscope is showing the TVS icon with a storm in Tuscaloosa County. These storms in Central Alabama that popped up in the last hour, do they bear watching or just garden variety storms?
you should be ok there michelle... its the one further north along the boundary that's causing trouble... potent short wave pivoting through the base of the boundary now... look for some new development back in eastern Arkansas here soon

MichelleH

Reaction score
you should be ok there michelle... its the one further north along the boundary that's causing trouble... potent short wave pivoting through the base of the boundary now... look for some new development back in eastern Arkansas here soon

Thanks! Just took me by surprise when I got the notification of storms in my area and saw TVS down below here. Lol

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wow! How’s there no tornado warning on that storm in TN?

bwalk

Reaction score
The storm headed towards Nville may go just north of the metro proper but that entire area is packed with people. Hopefully the storm doesn’t
drop a funnel. NWS also says ping pong size hail associated with this storm.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Estimated path of Nashville tornado based on Google Maps traffic

nashtornest.png

Big time tornado. Never ever turn your back on a pocket of >550 m2s2 0-1km SRH. Seeing damage photos easily into the low EF3 range and very likely on the ground for 45 minutes or more. Two deaths confirmed on east side of Nashville thus far; severe damage east to Lebanon and then touched down again at Cookeville.

If you missed it... signature peaked east of Nashville but had some 140-160mph g2g with a beam height of a few hundred feet

Screenshot_20200303-004449.png
Screenshot_20200303-010544.png

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Extensive damage in Nashville just east of downtown. Lot of historic areas impacted by the tornado. Most damage I'm seeing so far is EF-2 or less, but there's definitely a few pictures I've seen that might be EF-3+. Tend to think this is a high-end EF-2 to a high-end EF-3 at its max -- but that's a less than perfect guess based off of poor quality photos. And, thus far, I've seen no pics from west of downtown, or pictures east of eastern Nashville.

A really bad situation. The tornado has broad impacts over a number of areas. Hope 2 fatalities is where the death toll it ends, but I won't be shocked if there are several more due to the timing (night) and densely populated areas.

Last edited:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here are a few before and after shots. I remember this area well from when I had contract in Nashville.

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Extensive damage in Nashville just east of downtown. Lot of historic areas impacted by the tornado. Most damage I'm seeing so far is EF-2 or less, but there's definitely a few pictures I've seen that might be EF-3+. Tend to think this is a high-end EF-2 to a high-end EF-3 at its max -- but that's a less than perfect guess based off of poor quality photos. And, this far, I've seen no pics from west of downtown, or pictures east of eastern Nashville.

A really bad situation. The tornado has broad impacts over a number of areas. Hope 2 fatalities is where the death toll it ends, but I won't be shocked if there are several more due to the timing (night) and densely populated areas.

This says 5 fatalities already reported. It looks horrible. :'-( https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tornado-d...-reported-082805483--abc-news-topstories.html

Evan

Reaction score

Kory

Reaction score
Now up to six. :( May end up with several more over that.

Unfortunately, this is what I feared. Nighttime tornadoes are always the absolute worst. A lot of the fatalities in these situations would've potentially have been avoided in a tornado that occurred during the day. Just tragic. :(
With dozens of structures damaged or destroyed the search and rescue or recovery is still ongoing.

Reaction score
In case no one noticed, tornado watch out for portions of Alabama. The area isn't even in a slight risk. No warnings on the storms in that area at last check, though.

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard this from someone I was talking to on FB.

"I'm good. But my 9 to 5 job took a direct hit. We have 3 buildings at our facility. One of the building, a multi million dollar building, was finished less than a year ago and is pretty much leveled. The main building from what I've heard is missing the roof. And the shop has damage. Thankfully everyone on the overnight crew is safe."

I think there will be a lot of stories like that today.

Back