• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

buckeye05

Reaction score
Robinson is in contention for the worst survey of the decade so far…and there are still 165mph di’s on that tornado in Sullivan with the tornado itself rated as a 155mph ef3…like bro
Sloppy for sure, but keep in mind all DAT wind speed estimates are preliminary until added to the official text survey, so NWS Indianapolis probably downgraded and forgot to change the DAT estimate. With that said, I'm not convinced that there wasn't any EF4-worthy damage along the Illinois portion of the path. There were at least five completely leveled or swept away homes ignored by the survey. The one along North Whitetail Hollow Rd looked large, recently-built, and built on a slab foundation. Strong EF4 candidate, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

Anyway that's all I have to say about that. Sorry to derail this thread

Reaction score
Yup. It took them a long time, but that is how it should be. People should remember, next time it seems like they are just endlessly toying with the DAT, wind speed estimate, and rating for weeks, its because they are being thorough. Same thing happened with Bassfield, MS 2020 and Pembroke, GA 2022. Proper surveying is done slowly and meticulously.

Compare this to the half-baked rush job NWS Lincoln did for the Robinson, IL tornado.
It is an abomination!!!

andyhb

Reaction score
Area with the three 190 mph indicators and an image of the floral shop that was partially swept away.

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 3.45.20 PM.png

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It certainly wasn't rushed; that gave them time to do well. And they did very well.

Can we sent them to teach everyone else how to do this?

andyhb

Reaction score

195 mph, ever so close to the EF5 threshold.

Although it continues to highlight the inconsistency between different WFOs. If Vilonia/Rochelle/Mayfield happen in the JAN CWA nowadays, I'm almost certain they get a 5.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
This is literally the first ever 195mph rated tornado right?
Yep I think you are correct - technically the strongest tornado now since 2015 (or 2016 if you count Chapman). Every single thing about this survey impresses me. Literally one of if not the best survey of a major tornado in the history of the Enhanced Fujita Scale, NWS Jackson has done an amazing job. I hope the people of Rolling Fork are making progress with recovery since I can only imagine how hard its been.

A Guy

Reaction score
195 mph, ever so close to the EF5 threshold.
Would need to get 205 MPH though.

As Robinson obliquely referred to (probably because he was responsible) fixing the EF5 threshold at 201 rather than the 200 the review indicated was completely political.

It's not the biggest problem by a long chalk but acknowledging and changing it would help show a better, more scientific attitude.

Back