• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

ColdFront

Reaction score
I doubt Rolling Fork is an EF5, however, it took Rainsville from 4/27 until June to be designated an EF5. I think Chris Darden from Huntsville(I think), said they had to wait on some forensic data to come through to finalize the results.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I doubt Rolling Fork is an EF5, however, it took Rainsville from 4/27 until June to be designated an EF5. I think Chris Darden from Huntsville(I think), said they had to wait on some forensic data to come through to finalize the results.
Wouldn't It be a shame lake martin ef4 always wanted to watch a ef5 happen in real time and went to bed before this storm. Big oof lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Isn't the keota tornado getting a possible bump as well? So theres two tornadoes that could go above 190 mph winds

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
does anyone have any information on the current state of the rating process for rolling fork? It can’t be final yet…right?
Still considered preliminary. The tweet @Steel Central posted said they are still working on things. Be patient, my friends. I'm sure JAN are investigating it closely and will update us when they are ready.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The leveled/partially slabbed duplex along Collette Ave seems to have been removed from the DAT completely. Perhaps it was flagged for a potential EF4/190 rating?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I can’t help but wonder why it’s this particular tornado that is some how garnering this much attention and time from damage surveyors.
The town is small, the worst of the damage seems contextual and is from that mangled vehicle and extreme debris granulation area.
Haven’t seen any traditional damage that would indicate anything higher than 190.
The amount of DIs that are being added and suddenly removed is uh, curious to say the least.
Not that I’m complaining or anything, this whole thing is just pondersome.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I can’t help but wonder why it’s this particular tornado that is some how garnering this much attention and time from damage surveyors.
The town is small, the worst of the damage seems contextual and is from that mangled vehicle and extreme debris granulation area.
Haven’t seen any traditional damage that would indicate anything higher than 190.
The amount of DIs that are being added and suddenly removed is uh, curious to say the least.
Not that I’m complaining or anything, this whole thing is just pondersome.
It's because its JAN. They take getting the EF rating correct very, very seriously, unlike some other WFOs. After Bassfield 2020, they consulted with numerous experts and were extremely meticulous about the rating. When people asked what was taking so long, they posted on Twitter something to the effect of "This is history, and we need to make sure we record it as accurately as possible, and that takes time."

Honestly, I applaud them for this. If they want to take another month or two to analyze the damage, I encourage it.

Reaction score
It's because its JAN. They take getting the EF rating correct very, very seriously, unlike some other WFOs. After Bassfield 2020, they consulted with numerous experts and were extremely meticulous about the rating. When people asked what was taking so long, they posted on Twitter something to the effect of "This is history, and we need to make sure we record it as accurately as possible, and that takes time."

Honestly, I applaud them for this. If they want to take another month or two to analyze the damage, I encourage it.
They are probably heavily considering an ef5 rating based on something and need to be absolutely sure they aren’t gonna end up over-rating it in the end. Trying to confirm for absolute certainty …IS THIS TRUE EF5 DAMAGE OR NOT?

Cause I don’t see why…if they aren’t considering an upgrade, it’s taking them so long to find the right wind speed estimate. They had the 190 tag on there for a short time…so it shouldn’t be taking them this long just to conclude/adjust that wind estimate.

I’m thinking an ef5 rating is looking slightly more possible…based on whatever they may be looking at for this long

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They are probably heavily considering an ef5 rating based on something and need to be absolutely sure they aren’t gonna end up over-rating it in the end. Trying to confirm for absolute certainty …IS THIS TRUE EF5 DAMAGE OR NOT?

Cause I don’t see why…if they aren’t considering an upgrade, it’s taking them so long to find the right wind speed estimate. They had the 190 tags on there for a short time…so it shouldn’t be taking them this long just to conclude/adjust that wind estimate.

I’m thinking an ef5 rating is looking slightly more possible…based on whatever they may be looking at for this long
Outside of these past two weeks with marginal setups, they have been very busy. They also have helped MEG with some of their surveys. No need to stress over it.

Logo 468x120
Back