• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

Reaction score
Either they didn't expect it to get out so widely (unlikely since the DAT is always widely scrutinized) or further analysis is underway, wouldn't be shocked if that was prelim and it's revised down as there hasn't been a PNS to officially update it afaik
I wouldn’t be surprised if the tornado remains a low end ef4….

Reaction score
Maybe there's details still yet to be uncovered. They're just being discrete about it in terms of final wind speed.
I don’t see why they decided to remove the higher end di’s completely. If you’re not upgrading the rating then why hide the final maximum wind estimate like that?

Gail

Reaction score
The Tornado Emergency for Monroe County MS on March 24th. This was the first ever Tornado Emergency for the county.
I’m just south of you in Northern Lowndes County (5 mins from Monroe County line and 5 mins from Alabama state line), and my heart broke when I saw the Tornado Emergency go out plus watching what was happening live with Matt Laubhan. My sons played sports in Amory, Aberdeen, Smithville, and Hamilton growing up. My daughter was born in Amory. We have a lot of friends in the area. That was a scary evening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They keep adding new di’s in rolling fork but still haven’t added back the higher end ef4 di’s…like the slabbed dollar store

Reaction score
They’re still changing slash removing di’s and polygons from the rolling fork survey and it’s so confusing. Some more ef4 di’s have been removed and previously ef3 di’s have been upgraded to ef4…wat is going on,..

ColdFront

Reaction score
They’re still changing slash removing di’s and polygons from the rolling fork survey and it’s so confusing. Some more ef4 di’s have been removed and previously ef3 di’s have been upgraded to ef4…wat is going on,..
Quick - let’s try and correlate when this tomfoolery started and when Tim Marshall arrived in rolling fork!

Reaction score
When the heck are we gonna get the final rating for the rolling fork tornado? There’s no way they’re keeping it at a low end ef4…right?

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Talked with Mom for quite a while this weekend and said the recent tornado in Amory, which hit the worst in the NW parts of town and then traveled right up Hwy 25 up near Smithville, has made the PTSD from the 2011 Smithville F5 resurface for many people. She had some choice words for FEMA and the government assistance for Amory and this tornado compared to the F5 cleanup. She was unhappy with the response people there were getting from State Farm. I do not know specifics so I won't repeat it, but if I have heard it accurately, it borders on the negligently criminal for an insurance company.

She also told me to wait a little longer to come and visit because of the slow cleanup and the government's lack of help.

Listening to her, it sounds like the emotional and physical scars are pretty deep from New Wren, Amory, and Smithville.

BTW... the grifting and grifter stories from out of town people have really angered me. I cannot believe how some people behave.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
When the heck are we gonna get the final rating for the rolling fork tornado? There’s no way they’re keeping it at a low end ef4…right?
The NWS are taking the correct amount of time to thoroughly survey a high-end tornado like this. This is far better than a more rushed or incomplete survey like we have seen before, and they are taking time to review and analyse damage points, upgrade and downgrade certain DIs etc shows the rating is not clearcut and obvious. I trust NWS Jackson to do an amazing job - we just need to be patient.

Last edited:

vanni9283

Reaction score
The NWS are taking the correct amount of time to thoroughly survey a high-end tornado like this. This is far better than a more rushed or incomplete survey like we have seen before, and they are taking time to review and analyse damage points, upgrade and downgrade certain DIs etc shows the rating is not clearcut and obvious. I trust NWS Jackson to do an amazing job - we just need to be patient.
That sounds reasonable.

Back