• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Saw that one of the DI's apparently being considered for EF4 190+ is this structure on the southwest side of town. Although I'm not sure what these kinds of buildings are usually rated (EF3 range?) from street view it hardly jumps out at me as an EF5 worthy structure:
Rolling-fork-damage-before.jpg

Reaction score
Saw that one of the DI's apparently being considered for EF4 190+ is this structure on the southwest side of town. Although I'm not sure what these kinds of buildings are usually rated (EF3 range?) from street view it hardly jumps out at me as an EF5 worthy structure:
View attachment 19300

Yeah, either your source is in error or there's more going on here than meets the eye.

Reaction score
View attachment 19300
If that thing is being considered for high end ef4 than it must have been built like a bomb shelter

buckeye05

Reaction score
^I think this guy on Twitter is full of it honestly. Sounds like he's just spreading heresay and unconfirmed rumors, rather than having actual inside information. I'm taking his statements with a whole handful of salt. Regarding the slab scouring thing, it sounds to me like he's confusing nail scratch marks with something else.

Reaction score
^I think this guy on Twitter is full of it honestly. Sounds like he's just spreading heresay and unconfirmed rumors, rather than having actual inside information. I'm taking his statements with a whole handful of salt. Regarding the slab scouring thing, it sounds to me like he's confusing nail scratch marks with something else.
Wouldn’t be the first time.

Still though the nws said that they’re still surveying the damage and that engineers are being brought in to finalize the survey and rating

Tennie

Reaction score

This, in fact, is really nothing new. There have been a number of attempts over at least the past couple centuries to estimate wind speed from certain types of tornado damage (e.g. debris being embedded into an iron bridge from one of the tornadoes that hit St. Louis, MO, over the decades), and many of them tended to rely on assumptions made in calculations that may or (usually more likely) may not have accurately represented the phenomena that actually took place. Many of those calculations (particularly those in the pre-Fujita Scale era) tended to produce ridiculously high wind speeds (such as the one in the Tweet), which helped to lend a sort of air of credence to the old claims of tornadoes having wind speeds exceeding 500 MPH.

Thankfully for this guy, he does preface his estimates with a warning to take them with a grain of salt. That is something to give props to for sure.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Rummaging through the Amory damage points... looks like Amory itself had the highest DI's surprisingly. Two small areas of very low EF3 to the SW of town south of Nettleton (MEG went 140 for both destroyed frame homes and double wide, former must've been very poorly built w poor contextuals) and in Amory we have multiple industrial metal building systems tagged 155 along with one heavily damaged house on the north side of the track at 140. Heavy damage way down toward the center of town, more than just a glancing blow.

Reaction score
This, in fact, is really nothing new. There have been a number of attempts over at least the past couple centuries to estimate wind speed from certain types of tornado damage (e.g. debris being embedded into an iron bridge from one of the tornadoes that hit St. Louis, MO, over the decades), and many of them tended to rely on assumptions made in calculations that may or (usually more likely) may not have accurately represented the phenomena that actually took place. Many of those calculations (particularly those in the pre-Fujita Scale era) tended to produce ridiculously high wind speeds (such as the one in the Tweet), which helped to lend a sort of air of credence to the old claims of tornadoes having wind speeds exceeding 500 MPH.

Thankfully for this guy, he does preface his estimates with a warning to take them with a grain of salt. That is something to give props to for sure.
I think windspeeds in the most violent of all tornadoes may possibly reach 330 to 370 mph but 500+ mph sounds utterly ridiculous.

Logo 468x120
Back