• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
13 dead in Rolling Fork, 3 dead in Silver City, 3 dead southwest of Winona, and 2 in the Amory area per latest reports. 21 total thus far.

image.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
Guys, in all my years at looking at photos of tornado damage, I have NEVER seen this type of water tower knocked over before. I’ve seen the older type on multiple struts collapsed, but never have I seen a modern single-column water tower completely toppled over. This is in Rolling Fork btw. Crazy…
83B79A1E-9AF7-475B-BBC5-396459C36064.jpeg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If the Rolling Fork tornado cycled before it approached Winona, we may have had three intense killer tornadoes back to back; with 2 fatalities in Amory, we have at least two

Argus

Reaction score
The line reached me about two minutes ago, I snapped a photo of the sunrise as the rain was starting. It's pouring and I'm still seeing the orange glow on the eastern horizon. The strange thing as well, was that a bunch of roaches were gathering on the porch which were quickly swept off.

Gail

Reaction score
I’m just heartbroken. . You can warn as much as you want, but if people don’t take shelter…or more likely don’t have access to a shelter outside a hallway/bathroom in their homes, it’s hard to escape monsters like we had last night. Our towns need to do better about providing community shelters - including one for people with pets. Many won’t leave their pets at home to go to one. In a state with incomes like most of our citizens, the cost of a personal shelter might as well be like buying a mansion - something unattainable to a lot.

Reaction score
Obviously, this event was tragically destructive, from a human standpoint: but from a scientific angle I wonder why the 15% hatched MDT TOR did not verify. Both synoptics and thermodynamics seemed supportive of multiple long-tracked supercells with EF2+ tornadoes rather than a singular, violent event. Yesterday’s 20Z D1 outlook did indeed call for two or more EF2+ tornado families: “supercells, a few of which could become long-tracked...will support a threat for strong tornadoes (EF2+).” We did see multiple EF2+ tornadoes, probably multiple intense ones, but from a lone, long-tracked supercell rather than two or more. Eventually the SPC was forced to discard the MDT TOR and side with an ENH. As has been remarked upon, in recent years, apart from some exceptions now and then, we have tended to see more of these singularly significant, isolated events rather than widespread, significant outbreaks. Of course, all this is immaterial from a human standpoint, but from a scientific one I am interested in discovering the reasons as to why yesterday did not feature more widespread discrete activity, an otherwise-conducive environment notwithstanding. @Equus @CheeselandSkies @MattPetrulli

For the record: I am rather convinced that both Rolling Fork and Amory MS were/are capable and deserving of EF4+ ratings.

Reaction score
I am sure there will be an analysis of this video, and those lights will be the source of many discussions. We can move that to a different thread if it takes too much focus. But for now, let's keep it here. It is a part of the story of this storm and those who are affected by it.
@JayF @Sawmaster @Evan For interested parties I already started a separate thread on this here. Back OT...