• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX March 21-23 2022

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like BMX has determined the damage around Moundville was from straight line winds. They just released a PNS:

".Thunderstorm Wind #1: South Moundville Wind Event (Hale and Tuscaloosa Counties)...
That seems like a pretty extensive and fair assessment; despite the videos taken suggesting a possible developing tornado hard to argue with it. Would like to know what was up with the portable radar in the area suggesting a TDS but if they're wrapping it up we may never know

Jacob

Reaction score
Looks like a small spinup tornado just clipped the north side of Clarksville, OH. Subtle CC drop.

I think that's a false TDS on that scan, that CC drop is behind the storm and in an area of low reflectivity

Attachments

• B97C8E52-00D2-4559-8F7F-358C1FDF4D00.png
    B97C8E52-00D2-4559-8F7F-358C1FDF4D00.png
    1 MB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty extensive and fair assessment; despite the videos taken suggesting a possible developing tornado hard to argue with it. Would like to know what was up with the portable radar in the area suggesting a TDS but if they're wrapping it up we may never know
I’m honestly not 100% convinced. While I’m sure that microbursts can produce CC drops, that didn’t look like a microburst signature on radar to me. I recall a TDS/circulation over a town in Alabama during the February 23, 2016 outbreak that was deemed straight line winds by BMX, and I remember some folks finding it a bit questionable, so not the first time I’ve seen this.

With that said, I wasn’t there to look at the damage so I’m not gonna say they’re wrong.

buckeye05

Reaction score
State Route 350 is closed near Clarksville due to debris in the roadway. Also hearing reports of damage to a building and trees down.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wouldn't be shocked if there were some low end EF4 indicators somewhere, have not seen many pics out of the area, but with the number of poorly anchored sliders it'd probably take some good contextual indicators

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what tornado the New Orleans tornado was a twin of, because it definitely reminded me of something, but it isn't Tuscaloosa. It looks like another big city tornado; the Foshan, China EF3 tornado of 2015. Same shape, and even had the same persistent horizontal vortex.

It also reminds somewhat of Tuscaloosa (albeit not quite as high and not as large):

FOfuAfEVcAAxmdJ.jpg

Also Silas, AL:

EwtqgHIWgAAyIPe.jpg

I think Jonesboro of 2020 had a large horizontal vortex like this as well but not entirely sure.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would assume there is a code in place for roof anchoring given coastal location but not really sure if that's the case in all districts OR if older homes are grandfathered in, that said it won't matter much unless homes are well anchored to foundations - which is hard to say outside of ground survey. If that's an anchored house it certainly could be an EF4 candidate but I've gotten to where I don't expect violent ratings from homes unless contextual evidence is absolutely extreme; we'll see I guess?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm thinking there's enough context to support a LE EF4 rating in Arabi. Nothing extremely violent and home construction was likely average at best, though there was definitely some wind rowing, spotty debarking and that truck wrapped around a tree. Reminds me a lot of the Fultondale EF3 actually.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I mean, if Newnan qualifies for violent damage, Arabi probably does; would also keep the fairly remarkable streak of violent tornadoes in the south in March going. Will take a better look at available aerials later

Back